+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 288 of 922 FirstFirst ... 188238278286287288289290298338388788 ... LastLast
Results 2,871 to 2,880 of 9220

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

I have never thought Corbyn to be anything other than bitter, but I guess that comes with being an extremist at either end of the spectrum. Farage because the Brexit is too soft in his view, Corbyn because, well, he's just Corbyn.

Still you were right about one thing: sterling has fallen as a result of the announcement - but supposedly only because of profit taking against the rises in the last couple of days (I got this off Wikipedia by the way)

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    At last we are in agreement.
    My whole point since way before 23/6/16 has always been that the electorate, including myself, are simply not capable of making this ‘decision’. It’s all relative and while I believe I understand and have given the matter more thought than many, I do not believe I have a complete understanding. If I feel like that with regard to my own opinion - and yours, Roger’s and Swale’s etc for that matter - what was the point?
    I think we agreed on that aspect a thousand posts ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Do you still have any of the singles Andy? They may be of interest to me.

This buying and selling of vinyl, just like the art world, is a question of knowing your onions, being able to spot counterfeits and buying what you genuinely want and/or need.

Three cases in point.

Timi Yuro - It'll never be over for me. The original single is expensive. A copy was auctioned 2 months ago for £900. I don't have the wherewithall to shell out that amount. Last year I found out that the LP came out 6 months before the 45. The LP is the original. Paid €20 for the LP.

Jackie Wilson - Because of you. Less expensive than the Timi but still goes for between 150 and 200. The LP is the original. Bought a copy of the LP 2 months ago for £20.

Voices of East Harlem - Cashing In. Was always a 40 quid record. Started going crazy about 8 months ago and is up around 180 now. You guessed it. The LP is the original. Copy on it's way to me from the States. Cost $9.99

I can now legitimately play them out without paying ridiculous amounts for them.

Sometimes you can get lucky. A friend of mine over here was browsing a flea market stall. Found 2 great and rare singles. Vicki Labat - Got to keep hanging on (Shagg label) and Sam Dees - Lonely for you Baby (SSS International). The Labat fetches 2 grand, the Dees goes for 850. He paid €1 each. I have yet to be quite so lucky.
    Only one that you would be interested in, and its going nowhere - Archie Bell And the Drells 'The Tighten Up' AT2478P stamped 'Promo Only (etc) and single-sided, unplayed and still sealed in its red and black dust cover, and its the only record in my collection that is not in it to be played, I'm not a collector. I dealt with the rest as part of the business and appeared to make a lot of fellahs very happy, the highest price I recall was over £100 for a promo of Aretha's Do Right Woman with Aretha herself given songwriting credits. All the stuff I kept was albums, and most of that Rock, sorry. But keep the faith.

The referendum wasn't a question of remain or leave though. In reality it was a question of leave or immerse ourselves deeper and deeper into what will become the U S of E. The power of veto will be withdrawn, the eu army formed, we'll pay even more, etc, etc. I think that this is obvious to every man and his dog.

In years to come we will say thank god we didn't sign up to that, much like the question of joining the euro. Btw, can you find anyone now, who claims to have backed joining the euro?

Tony Benn was against joining the Common Market because he feared where it would take us and he was ridiculed, he was also right.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Only one that you would be interested in, and its going nowhere - Archie Bell And the Drells 'The Tighten Up' AT2478P stamped 'Promo Only (etc) and single-sided, unplayed and still sealed in its red and black dust cover, and its the only record in my collection that is not in it to be played, I'm not a collector. I dealt with the rest as part of the business and appeared to make a lot of fellahs very happy, the highest price I recall was over £100 for a promo of Aretha's Do Right Woman with Aretha herself given songwriting credits. All the stuff I kept was albums, and most of that Rock, sorry. But keep the faith.
    With a lot of stuff, I could give you a figure within 10% of what it might fetch. I have to admit that this one has me extremely intrigued as I have never seen, nor even heard of, a single sided promo of this track. An online check also shows no info on this promo on Discogs and they have a pretty comprehensive list of every issue of most records. EG Edwin Starr had 4 releases of Agent Double O Soul on Ric Tic plus the Promo. The first was titled Agent O O Soul but every DJ was calling it O O rather than Double O as in the lyrics. They brought it out with black writing on a red label and black on yellow and red on yellow. The promo was balck on white. I am still trying to get the O O version. All of that info can be found on Discogs. They do not, however, have any info on your single sided promo. This calls for investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    The referendum wasn't a question of remain or leave though. In reality it was a question of leave or immerse ourselves deeper and deeper into what will become the U S of E. The power of veto will be withdrawn, the eu army formed, we'll pay even more, etc, etc. I think that this is obvious to every man and his dog.

In years to come we will say thank god we didn't sign up to that, much like the question of joining the euro. Btw, can you find anyone now, who claims to have backed joining the euro?

Tony Benn was against joining the Common Market because he feared where it would take us and he was ridiculed, he was also right.
    ‘The referendum wasn’t a question of remain or leave though’. Really?
    Unfortunately that’s precisely what it was.
    The fact that you have thought a little more deeply about the issues than a simple ‘remain’ or ‘leave’ doesn’t alter what the referendum ultimately became and I still feel all too many made an altogether more simplistic decision based on nothing other than uninformed fear, prejudice and resentment.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    ‘The referendum wasn’t a question of remain or leave though’. Really?
    Unfortunately that’s precisely what it was.
    The fact that you have thought a little more deeply about the issues than a simple ‘remain’ or ‘leave’ doesn’t alter what the referendum ultimately became and I still feel all too many made an altogether more simplistic decision based on nothing other than uninformed fear, prejudice and resentment.
    On a sort of related subject, and a genuine non-loaded question RA: You've been an advocate of increased funding for public services, what's your view on the current revelations regarding University principles' pay/reward? I'll offer a view uncoloured by student debt etc because both my children went the advanced apprenticeship route (and thank God they did) - my view is such pay rates are obscene.

Heres a coloured view - I agree obscene.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    So the white smoke is rising, Terry May has got a Black Friday discount down to 35-39 billion on deferred terms! I don't suppose for one minute it is a "final form agreement" but it is enough of one to start moving on towards "what we get" rather than "what we give". Now if only the insoluble Ireland aspects can be resolved things "May" be on track for March 2019.

Flags at half mast in Chateaux Ramanag and Swaledale?
    On the contrary, we are heading (no matter how big the smokescreen for the hard Brexiteers) to just the sort of "soft" Brexit that I predicted over a year ago - the language is obscure and indeed deliberately so, but words like "parallel regulatory regime" effectively mean we will operate in a parallel and amazingly similar regulatory regime to the EU which realistically was always going to be the case and isn't too much of a problem for the EU because the Uk were always a reluctant Eu member - incidentally contrary to what has been posted on here, If we had remained in the EU, our Veto could not have been removed, and we would not have had to join the Euro, schengen or a so called EU army etc etc.

What people don't understand is that the myriad of regulations covering everything from financial services, chemicals, nuclear material, standards for goods, environmental protection etc. will have to be the same for us to continue to trade with the EU, financial services make up a large % of our GDP, supply chains for our industry is EU, most of our trade is with the EU, there is no market that will replace that at the very least not in the next two decades, so we will have to run a parallel course.

Naturally it will seem as we have "taken back control" in reality that will not be the case but dont tell those who voted leave!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    On a sort of related subject, and a genuine non-loaded question RA: You've been an advocate of increased funding for public services, what's your view on the current revelations regarding University principles' pay/reward? I'll offer a view uncoloured by student debt etc because both my children went the advanced apprenticeship route (and thank God they did) - my view is such pay rates are obscene.
    I do indeed support increased funding for public services because, imo, decent public services are the ‘rock’ upon which any remotely compassionate society is built.
    I know you, Roger and others will immediately go into ‘and who do you think pays for them’ mode and I understand that. Yes, of course we need the wealth providers, but we need the carers, educators, health providers, refuse collectors, first responders, law enforcers etc just as much, however I totally agree with your sentiment about University Principles just as I do about others at the top of their little ‘empires’ and as I do about the outrageous sums paid to professional sportsmen etc.

P.S. I also agree with Swale’s take on Brexit in the post above and seeing as Roger is agreeing with you too we may have that rare situation where all four of us appear to be in something approaching agreement.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 12-12-2017 at 10:14 AM.

Page 288 of 922 FirstFirst ... 188238278286287288289290298338388788 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)