+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 294 of 922 FirstFirst ... 194244284292293294295296304344394794 ... LastLast
Results 2,931 to 2,940 of 9219

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    I'm hoping that the money currently returned in the form of subsides and grants, is better spent under our own control.

In my experience, I see EU grants being wasted on undeserving cases and /or having stupid conditions.
    Such as?

A village in Spain was twinned with another in Greece.

The Greek village’s mayor visited his Spanish counterpart and could not believe the splendour of his mansion. How on earth, he asked, could the mayor of a small Spanish village afford such a place? “Do you see that bridge?” the Spanish mayor explained.

“The European Union gave us a grant to build a four-lane bridge. But, by building a single-lane bridge with traffic lights at either end, I could use the money saved to build this house.”

The next year the Spanish mayor visited his Greek counterpart.

He was stunned by the Greek mayor’s new house, which had marble floors, gold taps, and exquisite wallpaper.

“How could you possibly afford this?” he asked the Greek mayor. The Greek said: “Do you see that bridge over there?” The Spaniard replied: “No.”

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Such as?
    But in all honesty a simple google will reveal 100's of examples of waste. Now some will say its not true, that its propaganda, that its made up the the Brexit supporters etc - but some of this stuff comes straight out of EU audits who are required to report on EU spending. It comes as no surprise that the court of auditors have failed to issue a "clean bill of health" on this spending for over 21 years - in fact ever since such audits have been required.

I love the story of the 2 Swedish fishermen who took a shedload of EU cash to scrap their fishing boats and thus ease overfishing. They simply cleared the mortgages, sold the boats and used the proceeds to but another boat to carry on fishing, rather than "retire" - and all evidently with full disclosure of their intentions. Bravo.
    Last edited by roger_ramjet; 19-12-2017 at 05:48 PM.

I imagine some stories are true and others apocryphal but are there not examples of all ‘governments’, local and national, being wasteful? Why single out the EU and why suppose things will be better ‘under our own control’?

MP’s expenses scandal 2009 anyone? Nothing to do with the EU, Spain or Greece but at least things will be ‘under our own control’.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 19-12-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Such as?
    The absurdity of the whole of the EU machine moving every two weeks from Brussels to Strasbourg. Sums the whole thing up in my view, utterly pathetic

I imagine some stories are true and others apocryphal but are there not examples of all ‘governments’, local and national, being wasteful? Why single out the EU and why suppose things will be better ‘under our own control’?

MP’s expenses scandal 2009 anyone? Nothing to do with the EU, Spain or Greece but at least things will be ‘under our own control’.
    Two wrongs don't make a right R, and we can't currently vote to get rid of our own country, not that some Yorkies and Cornishmen amongst others don't have it in their mind's eye

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Two wrongs don't make a right R, and we can't currently vote to get rid of our own country, not that some Yorkies and Cornishmen amongst others don't have it in their mind's eye
    Of course two wrongs don’t make a right and I’ve never denied that the EU can be wasteful or is far from perfect.
    Leaving however is far from the panacea that some seem to think and anyone who really believes that such wastefulness will be ended by putting power and resources back in the hands of those who tried to screw us in 2009 - and before - seems astonishingly naive to me.

Of course two wrongs don’t make a right and I’ve never denied that the EU can be wasteful or is far from perfect.
    Leaving however is far from the panacea that some seem to think and anyone who really believes that such wastefulness will be ended by putting power and resources back in the hands of those who tried to screw us in 2009 - and before - seems astonishingly naive to me.
    I don't think the silent majority who voted Leave especially saw either option as a panacea, and (stop me if I've said this before) the fact that the vote was offered in the first place showed that the powers that be had NO idea who they were governing

At least we will waste our own money in our own country on our own projects. At the moment an unelected unaccountable body (the Commission) is wasting our money elsewhere in Europe: spefically, as we are a net payer, thru cohesion payments.

Now how much did that Northern irish woman currently propping up the government waste on the renewable heat scheme? And she is still in power having got bribed with OUR money to prop up a disastrous government!

Of course two wrongs dont make a right but the waste of public funds is not limited to the EU and its funny how even though supposedly we can vote out those who waste it in this country voters rarely ever do.

If you believe that leaving the EU will save money then thats what you will believe, so far the facts dont bear that out not one single pound will go towards the NHS that was spent in the EU, indeed we will spend more more than that simply on the cost of Brexit, which incidentally has already cost each Uk citizen £400 per year minimu, directly in their pockets and hasn't even happened.

Gove says something that is completely untrue, and thats by his governments own economic figures and budget yet people still swallow the crap, how utterly amazing!

Page 294 of 922 FirstFirst ... 194244284292293294295296304344394794 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)