+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 364 of 922 FirstFirst ... 264314354362363364365366374414464864 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,640 of 9219

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Swale, I am anti EU with a vengeance. It is inefficient, incompetent, an unwieldy institution, a monolith that needs taking down.

You can only do that from within. Unless the hope is that without the UK's approximate £180M a week of net payments to the EU, the other 2 major net contributors, Germany and the Netherlands, might start to disintegrate financially under the extra weight only they can carry.......... that's £9,360,000,000 a year.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Swale, I am anti EU with a vengeance. It is inefficient, incompetent, an unwieldy institution, a monolith that needs taking down.

You can only do that from within. Unless the hope is that without the UK's approximate £180M a week of net payments to the EU, the other 2 major net contributors, Germany and the Netherlands, might start to disintegrate financially under the extra weight only they can carry.......... that's £9,360,000,000 a year.
    Been saying that you can only ‘bring about change from within’ for years MA so I agree with that bit completely.
    The EU needs to change but essentially is, imo, more a force for good than harm. You can’t keep describing the Netherlands as one of the two or three major contributors though.
    You’re arguably right on a per capita basis but Holland is only the sixth biggest contributor with Germany, France, Italy, the UK and Spain all combining to provide more than half its income.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    But it’s the per capita bit that matters to many people who are basically interested in ‘what’s in it for me’. It the Netherlands actually get a sh*t deal, not sure if MA shares that view

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    But it’s the per capita bit that matters to many people who are basically interested in ‘what’s in it for me’. It the Netherlands actually get a sh*t deal, not sure if MA shares that view
    May well be the per capita bit that matters to individual Dutchmen but it’s a tad misleading to imply that the Dutch are amongst the leading contributors as far as the EU is concerned. They’re sixth or seventh which is about right given the size of their economy isn’t it? They’re eigh****th, compared with our fifth, in the world GDP league table btw.

What’s happened to MoP? I know we disagree over Brexit but he’s a good contributor...disappeared without trace it seems.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 28-10-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Both are right depending on the context

Edit: which relates back to a point I made (badly I think) about thirty pages ago, that immigration increases ukgdp (the wealth of the country) but decreases ukgdp per capita (the average wealth of individuals), increasingly through time
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 28-10-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Been saying that you can only ‘bring about change from within’ for years MA so I agree with that bit completely.
    The EU needs to change but essentially is, imo, more a force for good than harm. You can’t keep describing the Netherlands as one of the two or three major contributors though.
    You’re arguably right on a per capita basis but Holland is only the sixth biggest contributor with Germany, France, Italy, the UK and Spain all combining to provide more than half its income.
    This very conversation took place many, many pages ago. Yes, there are countries that contribute more in absolute terms of currency units. However, I contend that if a country of 100 million people has a weekly EU bill of €100M and a country of 17 million people has one of €50M then the effect on the individual in the latter is 3 times as large as that in the former. EU contributions come from taxes on individuals so, IMO, the per capita contribution is far more relevant than the total number of currency units.

The EU commission is very fond of using bar bills as an example. 20 people out drinking will/should split the bill 20 equal ways. That is not the case with EU contributions.

In the case of the EU, the NL gets to pay more per capita because it's a well run country that puts the whole in front of the individual. For instance, some 30 years ago, a left leaning government decided they didn't have enough money to carry out its wishes. They then decided that the PRIVATE Civil Servants Pension Fund had "too much money". They took (read stole) some €15Bn from the fund. Today, despite inflation, ABP pensions haven't increased in almost a decade. They also warn that, unless things improve, they might have to lower pensions. A Law change about 5 years ago states that pensions can only increase when the Fund has 110% or more asset value to cover their current liabilities. Last year that % was 92%. Put that €15Bn back in and we are a step closer to the ABP (Yes, the one that pays my pension) being able to compensate somewhat for inflation. Another wonderful Law the NL has is one that states that Pension Funds pay tax on a fictitious yield of 4% or the actual yield if that is higher...... for years the yield has been less than 2%. The Fund, and other Funds, is paying income tax on income it hasn't had which helps reduce the value of assets even more. That is, IMO, a form of robbery.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    This very conversation took place many, many pages ago. Yes, there are countries that contribute more in absolute terms of currency units. However, I contend that if a country of 100 million people has a weekly EU bill of €100M and a country of 17 million people has one of €50M then the effect on the individual in the latter is 3 times as large as that in the former. EU contributions come from taxes on individuals so, IMO, the per capita contribution is far more relevant than the total number of currency units.

The EU commission is very fond of using bar bills as an example. 20 people out drinking will/should split the bill 20 equal ways. That is not the case with EU contributions.

In the case of the EU, the NL gets to pay more per capita because it's a well run country that puts the whole in front of the individual. For instance, some 30 years ago, a left leaning government decided they didn't have enough money to carry out its wishes. They then decided that the PRIVATE Civil Servants Pension Fund had "too much money". They took (read stole) some €15Bn from the fund. Today, despite inflation, ABP pensions haven't increased in almost a decade. They also warn that, unless things improve, they might have to lower pensions. A Law change about 5 years ago states that pensions can only increase when the Fund has 110% or more asset value to cover their current liabilities. Last year that % was 92%. Put that €15Bn back in and we are a step closer to the ABP (Yes, the one that pays my pension) being able to compensate somewhat for inflation. Another wonderful Law the NL has is one that states that Pension Funds pay tax on a fictitious yield of 4% or the actual yield if that is higher...... for years the yield has been less than 2%. The Fund, and other Funds, is paying income tax on income it hasn't had which helps reduce the value of assets even more. That is, IMO, a form of robbery.
    You have my absolute sympathy on the pensions issue MA but that is surely an internal Dutch issue not an EU one.

As regards the matter of EU contributions nothing changes the fact that the Dutch provide slightly less than 4% of EU income via member state contribution.

I’m not sure about the bar bill analogy...you’re surely not suggesting that Malta should be paying the same as the Germans who contribute almost 20% of EU income?

I'm not going out for a meal with you MA, you will probably have a more expensive starter than me and extra dessert. Why should I pay for that? So should I have the most expensive main course on the menu (even if I don't like it) just so I can get value for money? And don't get me started about the wine...

Anyway, any nation that has inflicted tasteless vile red waxed edam cheese on the world deserves to be punished, and as for heineken "beer", herring ice cream, salted liquorice, mayo on chips and sugar on toast for breakfast.....no, Holland deserves everything it gets

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Really? Mm 17% reduction in economic activity in Uk since the vote, its already happening - thousands of jobs migrating to europe - I know I've been involved in a number of relocations of HQ's and company operations in the past two years and we dont even know the deal yet!

Of course life wills till go on - in Zimbadwe it still goes on despite economic melt down but anyway Rees Mogg has come up with the answer

Jacob Rees-Mogg says most people in the uk will be able to offset any adverse negative brexit effects with their savings, shares, bonds, inheritance and work expenses.

Simple init?

And Ress-Mogg, Johnson and Farage say its the "elites" (in their eyes people who have worked hard to get where they are, rather than inheriting their wealth!) who oppose Brexit which is "the will of (37%) of the people! FFS!
    37%? Are you serious? Is that the amount of people who voted for Brexit. Well bugger me, I never realised that. So 63% of the electorate voted remain, yet Mayhem is still leading us into the unknown? I wonder how many other people have not realised that the nation is being rooked. Its just not democratic that a minority are bulldozing their views through, despite a clear majority wanting remain.

Sorry, oh, less than 37% voted to remain, So what's everyone bitching about, or are they just reacting like spoiled kids and throwing their toys out of the pram? Ah but of course those ones who voted remain are the intelligensia, the thinking people, not the bigots who are ignorant and know nothing and who voted to leave.

Its all the fault of the way the referendum was set up. it should have been done on a single transferrable vote basis! That way when no clear overall decision was made, the second choice of those who voted should have been taken into account, and then if a tie resulted, of course those who voted to remain, being so much more informed than those that didn't, should get an extra vote. or they could keep making up new rules and new referenda until they get the result they want

but 37%, wow, they kept that one out of the news

Page 364 of 922 FirstFirst ... 264314354362363364365366374414464864 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)