+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 476 of 922 FirstFirst ... 376426466474475476477478486526576 ... LastLast
Results 4,751 to 4,760 of 9219

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

That sounds like an interesting and challenging job young Angry. Maybe it's because I taught in the Netherlands but none of my colleagues got political with the kids. We did, however, teach them more than just the basic curriculum.

In Computer Science for instance, I didn't just teach them how to make a Powerpoint or other presentation, I also taught them HOW to give the presentation. One year I had a girl who plainly refused to give the presentation and wouldn't give a reason. I asked her if she would have a problem with my taking it up with her parents. They couldn't get a reason from her either but gave me permission to have a meeting with their daughter to discuss it as it might lead to her failing the course and thereby not be able to move on to the next school year but do that one over...... I had the meeting with the girl's mother present as well, and asked why she wouldn't. She finally admitted that she was frightened of cocking it up and have her classmates taking the mick for months afterwards. I started the next lesson with a general chat on "stage fright" and why the class thought someone might have it. The class covered all the bases nd left the door wide open for the next question. Did they want classmates to fail or did they want everybody to give a good presentation. What would their reaction be if someone did give a less than satisfactory presentation. They all said they would be supportive...... Nobody knew that the questions were being asked about a specific person. After the lesson the girl came to me and said she would do it. The answers from her classmates had settled her fears. 3 or 4 weeks later it was her turn. She nailed it. Lesson learnt.

I also went in to hacking and how it works. I told them about issues with webcams. About not falling foul of blackmail if anybody had, or said they had, compromising photos/video of them. What to do (if you feel you can't tell your parents/police let me know. I'll take care of it).

Some lads were harassing a Muslim girl for wearing a hijab. They never did it again.

The Dutch, in the main, think that England, the UK and GB are one and the same thing. In English I taught them the difference. Showing them the different flags and how they merged to become the Union Flag. I even sang Flower of Scotland and the Welsh anthem to emphasise that it is (supposedly) a union of 4 countries as opposed to a single country. They were amazed at getting the Welsh Anthem sung to them. Can you also say that long station name. I did. That worked wonders for my profile...... for a week. Take it while you can.

In both subjcts I took every opportunity to give them helpful "life" tips as I feel it's a teacher's job to equip them for more than just an exam.

I hope this helps you ditch the "all teachers are left wing bigots" idea you seem to have. You now know of one that wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    That sounds like an interesting and challenging job young Angry. Maybe it's because I taught in the Netherlands but none of my colleagues got political with the kids. We did, however, teach them more than just the basic curriculum.

In Computer Science for instance, I didn't just teach them how to make a Powerpoint or other presentation, I also taught them HOW to give the presentation. One year I had a girl who plainly refused to give the presentation and wouldn't give a reason. I asked her if she would have a problem with my taking it up with her parents. They couldn't get a reason from her either but gave me permission to have a meeting with their daughter to discuss it as it might lead to her failing the course and thereby not be able to move on to the next school year but do that one over...... I had the meeting with the girl's mother present as well, and asked why she wouldn't. She finally admitted that she was frightened of cocking it up and have her classmates taking the mick for months afterwards. I started the next lesson with a general chat on "stage fright" and why the class thought someone might have it. The class covered all the bases nd left the door wide open for the next question. Did they want classmates to fail or did they want everybody to give a good presentation. What would their reaction be if someone did give a less than satisfactory presentation. They all said they would be supportive...... Nobody knew that the questions were being asked about a specific person. After the lesson the girl came to me and said she would do it. The answers from her classmates had settled her fears. 3 or 4 weeks later it was her turn. She nailed it. Lesson learnt.

I also went in to hacking and how it works. I told them about issues with webcams. About not falling foul of blackmail if anybody had, or said they had, compromising photos/video of them. What to do (if you feel you can't tell your parents/police let me know. I'll take care of it).

Some lads were harassing a Muslim girl for wearing a hijab. They never did it again.

The Dutch, in the main, think that England, the UK and GB are one and the same thing. In English I taught them the difference. Showing them the different flags and how they merged to become the Union Flag. I even sang Flower of Scotland and the Welsh anthem to emphasise that it is (supposedly) a union of 4 countries as opposed to a single country. They were amazed at getting the Welsh Anthem sung to them. Can you also say that long station name. I did. That worked wonders for my profile...... for a week. Take it while you can.

In both subjcts I took every opportunity to give them helpful "life" tips as I feel it's a teacher's job to equip them for more than just an exam.

I hope this helps you ditch the "all teachers are left wing bigots" idea you seem to have. You now know of one that wasn't.
    Not so young unfortunately
    You sound like the sort of teacher that I could relate too. It's strange you should mention Power Points, it's a crucial part of preparing some for the big wide world. I recently asked the team in London to prepare presentations for a 'Town Hall' meeting. Most crapped themselves and that is in front of their colleagues. Training now in place..
    We have an apprentice programme here and we find that some kids are not ready for the work place. Some who come from Uni are so entitled, it's unbelievable.
    My comments probably should be more aimed at lecturers really, although there are issues in local schools.
    In everything, there are good apples and bad apples.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryRam View Post
    Right I had better prefix this as not a joke post, so you start at the right place.. It will help you.

Fact check, when have I used the ‘much used Angry phrase’ ‘I was pulling his chain’? Would be interesting to see some evidence..
    Waits for the I was only joking retort.. Full of ****e more like.
    The case has been defended on numerous occasions only for you to completely miss the point every time..

You and your new support group of ex teachers, MA etc.. Perhaps I was right in my stereotypical comment . I guess I was meant to be impressed by his managing a €15 million budget.. Nope not really. I can trump it but it means nothing..

Just another victim arnt you..

Cockney gob ****e and proud.
    Angry this is what you wrote in reply to RA
    09-04-2018 04:03 pm
    I was only pulling your chain

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Angry this is what you wrote in reply to RA
    09-04-2018 04:03 pm
    I was only pulling your chain
    Tell me you did not just post that thinking it was April 2018 !!!
    I assume there is a post in 2018?? You could have quoted that. Well done for trawling through.. Was I posting on here in 2018?
    Keep going, I will wait with baited breath. You need to find more than one for it to be much used.

Aye, a chain with but one link is neither use nor ornament

Aye, a chain with but one link is neither use nor ornament.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

Not sure how you reach that conclusion. I say ‘the fault lies with under achieving players, poor management and some of the contracts allegedly sanctioned by Rush, who...’was not a Morris appointment’...and you claim that means I agree with you that he’s a ‘****e chairman’.
    How the hell does that work?
    Out of interest...what, or who, would you prefer to be running our club?

I was pulling your chain."

It only took about a minute to find that one, using the search facility

It is however the only time that you appear to have used the expression

Quote Originally Posted by AngryRam View Post
    Tell me you did not just post that thinking it was April 2018 !!!
    I assume there is a post in 2018?? You could have quoted that. Well done for trawling through.. Was I posting on here in 2018?
    Keep going, I will wait with baited breath. You need to find more than one for it to be much used.
    No mate I didn't trawl through it myself company Secretary did for me Saves her staring out the window all afternoon If you think there's more I will get her to look tomorrow Its quite easy just takes a bit of time

No it doesnt, Mista ............. your Company Secretary has been pulling your chain! Cut her bonus

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    No mate I didn't trawl through it myself company Secretary did for me Saves her staring out the window all afternoon If you think there's more I will get her to look tomorrow Its quite easy just takes a bit of time
    Haha.. Nice style. I think Geoff has already done the work for her.. Once does not mean a repeat offender.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post

Actually make that two, MA.

So you do have an interesting and responsible job, Angry...amazed it took so long to answer. It’s a pity that someone who clearly does have such an apparently in depth and relevant knowledge of Brexit couldn’t communicate with rather more civility but heh ho.

For the record I doubt we have much in common politically...you seem some distance well to the right of centre and I am generally more to the left, but a million miles from the ‘left wing extremist’ you would have people believe me to be.

Also for the record, I have no idea what your wife’s teaching experiences are however, for my part I taught for over thirty years the last quarter of which was spent as either acting Head or Deputy Head. In all that time I was on strike for half of one day and in my first Ofsted I received a Certificate of Excellence - before they abandoned such nonsense - while in the second, as a Deputy, I was described as ‘an excellent role model for staff and pupils alike’. I was also responsible for running over twenty five week long residential outdoor activity courses for under privileged secondary aged pupils during my career so perhaps not quite the ‘left wing muppet’ you incorrectly assumed.

You clearly have little time for teachers but in my not inconsiderable experience very, very few fall into the category of being political agitators. I also asked about why you believe me to be ‘privileged’ and someone who is ‘destroying the country’. Both allegations are utter nonsense but maybe we should leave that for now.

Perhaps if we stopped ‘shouting’ at one another we might both learn a thing or two...me about why you don’t fear ‘Brexit’ - your perspective is obviously informed - and you about not judging all teachers on the basis of your own and your wife’s experiences.

Page 476 of 922 FirstFirst ... 376426466474475476477478486526576 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)