+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 674 of 922 FirstFirst ... 174574624664672673674675676684724774 ... LastLast
Results 6,731 to 6,740 of 9220

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    Yes he always seemed to be the best informed, how did we know that, because he told us of course. He spouts stuff far beyond our knowledge, knowing that none of us can argue against his 'knowledge', but over time his rants include some obvious falsehoods which he also claims to be gospel. So if some of what he claims is rubbish, then probably his 'expert knowledge' is also rubbish.
    Some of what we all write is a mixture of well informed and rubbish, imo, Ram.
    You and I probably differ over Swale because I tend to agree with him and you, politically speaking, invariably disagree with him.
    His tragedy, again imo, is that he is well informed but alienates people so no one listens.

At some point people like you and I, from different sides of the political ‘fence’ but usually able to debate civilly, have to find more common ground. The alternative is the scenes we saw in Washington last night - instigated largely by the increasingly deranged outgoing President - being replicated across the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    OOOOH you know how to cut to the quick rA, accusing me of pro tory sentiment! My comment above concerning the spoutings of an extreme tory "loony" with no effective authority can hardly be said to be pro tory. Equally my pro government observations as regards covid etc are no pro tory, but pro government. No other party has been in government during covid to compare balls ups with, admittedly!

No other Party has been in Government for approaching eleven years, GP. I’ll cut Cameron some slack given the crisis he inherited (from bankers) but only as regards that. Beyond that it probably explains a lot.

My point was that whatever the faults of Government those who dare to point them out are invariably subjected to repetitive ridicule from you, i.e. ‘it’s all Johnson’s fault’, ‘remoaners’, ‘triumphalist’ etc. Lots of ridicule but seldom a reasoned response.

P.S. Interesting that you see mista as ‘the voice of reason’, AF. I agree, he’s a great loss...but, where Brexit is concerned he could always be counted on as one of the most committed Remainers, and as someone who ran his own business almost certainly knew what he was talking about.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 07-01-2021 at 05:41 PM.

and its no coincidence that Cameron was a remainer!

I think I would describe myself as apolitical - I actually detest both main parties and regard neither of them as worthy of my support, I regard the libdems as a waste of space leaving just the greens (whose policies are probably to the left of Corbyn in many cases) to win my vote: which they do. You could characterise this as a safe protest vote, and in many ways it is, although I do agree with many of their environmental policies. Beyond that my choice is restricted to various lunatic fringe parties.

So no, I am not pro Tory, although I am pro some of their policies, which I might also be under a Starmer led Labour, asopposed to Corbyn who, like Swale, has alienated much of his own support and damaged "his party" intensely,

On the other hand I defend the government (and probably would do whoever was in power - except Corbyn) simply because they have had not one poisoned chalice to deal with (Brexit) but then an even more poisoned one in COVID. Brexit was an apolitical decision and it fell on a Tory government to put it into effect, often against the wishes of many of their MP's and indeed supporters. My assessment of the deals carved out are thus viewed in this context. Would have been interesting to see what sort of deal would have been drawn up if a different coloured parliament was negotiating it. Whoever is having to make decisions will get the criticism of the other side.

Re COVID the government make mistakes and change their minds as would anyone in the face of an unknown "enemy" where noone has a model to follow and policy is made on the hoof, but I see no point slavishy hammering them for their every move. Again COVID response should be apolitical, not a sniping opportunity.

I remember many moons ago I was advocating a government of national unity to deal with Brexit, and COVID response would have benefitted greatly from being cross party as it would eliminate the political swipes. Not sure the response would have been any different, but maybe better informed and communicated

You. ‘Apolitical’! Lol. Can only believe you don’t know the meaning of the word. You MAY be ‘unaffiliated’ although I struggle to believe that nowadays. More likely to believe it about your previous incarnation but there is no way you are ‘apolitical’.

Completely with you as regards a ‘Government of National Unity’...in fact if you go back four plus years to the early days of MoP’s Brexit thread it’s what I advocated then.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 07-01-2021 at 05:59 PM.

apolitical - not interested or involved in politics.

Have never been involved in it, and my interest is only limited to a general sense of contempt towards most practitioners of it

perhaps I am apolitician ??!

Sadly you are beginning to sound like a broken record here, every mere suggestion that you disagree with is riddled with lies and falsehoods.

So one non elected voice in the Lords may have suggested changes in these areas. If they ever get adopted as official policy and any progress is made towards amending them to the detriment of the protection of consumer rights, then we can get concerned.

But fo now a lone voice spouting "extremist" changes post Brexit is just that - and as has already been pointed out, the legitimacy of your facts is already in question.

Just sounds like a bitter remoaner trying to find something new to moan about as a result of us leaving, now the primary battle has been lost. When and if any of this comes to pass, there may be a concern - but for now its just remoaner scaremongering in my view
    I do like the way you dismiss this guy, who is widely acknowledged to be one of the people within the Tory eurosceptics who was behind the promotion of Brexit and the hard version of Brexit at that.

All I have done is reposted the actual piece written by him on conservativehome, I mean **** me, it isn't as if I were making this stuff up, its on the conservatives support group website. Thats obvious for anybody who actually read my post.

I even acknowledged that a number of the suggestions were false premises so contrary to your assertion, AF didn't point it out to me, funnily enough I didn't need to be told this.

But its a measure of your political naivety that you so easily dismiss them as the views of an unelected Tory -albeit one who behind the scenes has heavily influenced the position we are in today. You don't appear to know that this is where the policies adopted by the Tories emanate from, sure they get modified, made more palatable and more opaque so that people (generally the dumb electorate) don't actually understand whats going on.

Ah so if I or anyone else who points out where the promises made by the Brexit are broken or flag up areas where some of the thoughts of those in power are extreme, thats a so called remoaner being bitter?

WTF? I think I'd rather be aware of where the lying toe rags are breaking promises and be forewarned of some of the things that certain elements would like to implement going forward, than remain ignorant. But hey suit yourself.

Anyway I take particular pleasure in demonstrating just how many of the things I told the Brexit supporters were false have proven to be the case. Nothing more pleasurable than being proven right.

I love it when you say if and when it happens is the time to be concerned. I disagree, the time to be concerned is when these ideas are being circulated, after all people dismissed Trump's chances of being elected, look at the **** storm the US have now. perhaps if people had taken him seriously, then that may have been avoided.

Indeed the same applied to Brexit, many dismissed the concept as something that very few people would vote for, which of course was basically true, but unfortunately due to complacency even fewer people voted for Remain.

This is of course the way the far right works, say and propose things that seem unlikely or even preposterous, safe in the knowledge that the sheep like voters will be easily fooled into thinking "thinking that will never happen" only to fin that a version of it somehow has!

I kind of guessed what the response would be on here when I posted that, sadly I was not disappointed.

Have never been involved in it, and my interest is only limited to a general sense of contempt towards most practitioners of it

So what would your apolitical self suggest as means of governing society then? I'm always interested in people who are scathing about politics and yet seem to offer no solution as to how human beings would govern themselves?

Apolitical...def, politically neutral, without political attitudes. Is that you...really?
    You’ve certainly seemed pretty opinionated on any of the political threads to me.

and its no coincidence that Cameron was a remainer!

I think I would describe myself as apolitical - I actually detest both main parties and regard neither of them as worthy of my support, I regard the libdems as a waste of space leaving just the greens (whose policies are probably to the left of Corbyn in many cases) to win my vote: which they do. You could characterise this as a safe protest vote, and in many ways it is, although I do agree with many of their environmental policies. Beyond that my choice is restricted to various lunatic fringe parties.

So no, I am not pro Tory, although I am pro some of their policies, which I might also be under a Starmer led Labour, asopposed to Corbyn who, like Swale, has alienated much of his own support and damaged "his party" intensely,

On the other hand I defend the government (and probably would do whoever was in power - except Corbyn) simply because they have had not one poisoned chalice to deal with (Brexit) but then an even more poisoned one in COVID. Brexit was an apolitical decision and it fell on a Tory government to put it into effect, often against the wishes of many of their MP's and indeed supporters. My assessment of the deals carved out are thus viewed in this context. Would have been interesting to see what sort of deal would have been drawn up if a different coloured parliament was negotiating it. Whoever is having to make decisions will get the criticism of the other side.

Re COVID the government make mistakes and change their minds as would anyone in the face of an unknown "enemy" where noone has a model to follow and policy is made on the hoof, but I see no point slavishy hammering them for their every move. Again COVID response should be apolitical, not a sniping opportunity.

I remember many moons ago I was advocating a government of national unity to deal with Brexit, and COVID response would have benefitted greatly from being cross party as it would eliminate the political swipes. Not sure the response would have been any different, but maybe better informed and communicated
    If I were you I'd stop making comments on political subjects, because if you think that Brexit was an apolitical decision then clearly you really don't have a clue!

How did it fall to the Tory party to put it in to effect, the referendum was in the Tory party manifesto FFS! It was a purely political decision to go for a hard Brexit, it certainly did not effect the closeness of the referendum vote - which if reflected properly would ahve seen the UK leave the political aspects of the EU and just be connected on economic and trade grounds.

I mean who else but successive Tory politicians have used the immigration card to appeal to people's base fears and instincts, how often have Tory politicians blamed the EU for something that wasn't the EU's fault - gosh I wonder what they will blame now that scapegoat has gone?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Some of what we all write is a mixture of well informed and rubbish, imo, Ram.
    You and I probably differ over Swale because I tend to agree with him and you, politically speaking, invariably disagree with him.
    His tragedy, again imo, is that he is well informed but alienates people so no one listens.

At some point people like you and I, from different sides of the political ‘fence’ but usually able to debate civilly, have to find more common ground. The alternative is the scenes we saw in Washington last night - instigated largely by the increasingly deranged outgoing President - being replicated across the UK.
    rA you are fooling yourself if you think your calm reasoned tone has any greater effect than my more "muscular" approach. Sure you continue a conversation with these ****s, but they are not listening to you either.

A fact exemplified by the sad death of a 35 year old woman in the US, a veteran of numerous tours of Afghanistan and Iraq, shot storming the capital, her life wasted because she swallowed all the bull**** and lies fed to her by Trump. Reasoned argument would never have changed her mind.

Page 674 of 922 FirstFirst ... 174574624664672673674675676684724774 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)