+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 340 of 922 FirstFirst ... 240290330338339340341342350390440840 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,400 of 9219

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

At our neighbouring council election this month, the Liberal decorates won the seat with 13% of the electorate voting for her. How on earth should she be able to decide important local issues when 87% didn't want her in?

I know exactly what you mean about the BS elections and AGM’s, Ram and I take absolutely no notice either but, tbf...we aren’t provided with information about the different candidates, we aren’t bombarded with lies, untruths and exaggerations and the outcome doesn’t decide the future of our country.
    We live in a Parliamentary Democracy...the formation of that Parliament was ours to decide...we decided via the General Election who should be in Parliament and then, bizarrely, we decided to give Joe Public a chance to decide on an infinitely more complex matter.
    A minority of Joe Public launched a massive protest vote and the majority either didn’t side with the protest, weren’t interested or able to vote or decided they didn’t know enough to decide, so the protest vote ‘won’ and now we’re stuck with following the views of the minority even though it seems more complicated and likely to lead to self harm every day.
    Where’s the sense? Let Parliament decide.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I know exactly what you mean about the BS elections and AGM’s, Ram and I take absolutely no notice either but, tbf...we aren’t provided with information about the different candidates, we aren’t bombarded with lies, untruths and exaggerations and the outcome doesn’t decide the future of our country.
    We live in a Parliamentary Democracy...the formation of that Parliament was ours to decide...we decided via the General Election who should be in Parliament and then, bizarrely, we decided to give Joe Public a chance to decide on an infinitely more complex matter.
    A minority of Joe Public launched a massive protest vote and the majority either didn’t side with the protest, weren’t interested or able to vote or decided they didn’t know enough to decide, so the protest vote ‘won’ and now we’re stuck with following the views of the minority even though it seems more complicated and likely to lead to self harm every day.
    Where’s the sense? Let Parliament decide.
    It wasn't a protest vote RA, it was the 'voice of the people' even if it wasn't (in your opinion) 'the will of the people'. I think you demean the electorate by saying it was a protest vote

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    It wasn't a protest vote RA, it was the 'voice of the people' even if it wasn't (in your opinion) 'the will of the people'. I think you demean the electorate by saying it was a protest vote
    Of course it was a ‘protest vote’, Andy. Whenever else have ‘the people’ showed any ‘interest’ in the EU?
    Having been wound up by the right wing press the ‘masses’ saw the opportunity to give the establishment a kick up the backside over two perceived issues...the unelected bureaucracy of Brussels and the lack of control over immigration.
    There is an element of truth in both issues and, imo, those concerns need to be addressed, but all that has happened is that the masses have empowered the crazies to chuck the proverbial baby out with the bath water and send us on the road to regressive ruin.
    What 37% most certainly isn’t is the ‘voice of the people’ and if you still think it is then what would you call the remaining 63%?

The 63 per cent consist of me and others who voted to stay, but it also includes those who ain't interested and who left it to those that were to decide. A decision was reached and it is the right decision because those that voted say it is!!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    The 63 per cent consist of me and others who voted to stay, but it also includes those who ain't interested and who left it to those that were to decide. A decision was reached and it is the right decision because those that voted say it is!!
    C’mon mac...you’re better than that. Is the ‘Sun’ a better newspaper than the ‘i’ because more people read it...is Jilly Cooper a better novelist than Charles Dickens because she sold more books...does ‘Coronation Street’ provide better drama than William Shakespeare because more people watch it?
    That’s just populist nonsense...a decision cannot be judged to be ‘right’ because it attracted the most votes. What if the voters were misled and misinformed...is it still the ‘right’ decision?
    Hypothetically, if a decision was somehow reached to say that the age of consent should be lowered to twelve, that it was okay to drink and drive after all, or that Derby County should always play in red would you just shrug and say...well if that’s what the voters want?
    Of course you wouldn’t...because you can think for yourself and recognise that there’s a difference between ‘winning’ and reaching the ‘right’ decision.

According to our democracy the right decision was reached and I will support it!! You might not think it is right but you might be wrong!!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    According to our democracy the right decision was reached and I will support it!! You might not think it is right but you might be wrong!!
    No mac...according to our democracy a decision was reached - well sort of - whether it was the right one or not remains to be seen, but ‘according to our democracy’, those who think it may be harmful have every right to challenge it, especially in such circumstances.

I agree, there is every right to challenge any decision in our democracy. That does'nt make the decision wrong! You or me thinking it was wrong does'nt make it wrong.

Roll on Friday, 29 March 2019. That's when we'll see the improvements start and the propaganda stop!

Page 340 of 922 FirstFirst ... 240290330338339340341342350390440840 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)