+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Retained list...

Retained list...

... it seems that EFL rules state that the retained list should be published no later than the 3rd Saturday in May. That's this Saturday, May 18th, a mere 4 days away. The lads are back from Vegas so the first bad news meetings will have taken place. List out very soon. I would be surprised if there were more than 7 names on the list now we are up in the Dizzy heights og the SBC. The only possible spanner in my works would be any "extras", such as Hourihane who I thought was going full time coaching at Villa but rumour now has it that his number of appearances triggered a 12 month option clause. Any more of that kind of surprise and the numbers I expect will rise.

The players concerned are:

Bird (already gone)
    Sibley who I'd keep
    Wildsmith who I'd keep
    JJ back on pay as you play or not at all. Probably the latter.
    Barks Thanks for everything but it's time to go
    Adams hopefully reach a deal with Cardiff but not at any price
    Tommo keep
    Gayle looked class in L1 but had a huge failure at Stoke prior to coming to us. Too old? I think so
    Hourihane Full time coach at Villa or an extra season here? I'd let him unless the option rumours are true
    Collo Hard working goalscoring L1 CF 16/17 22 in L2, 17/18 20 in L2, 18/19 25 in L1, 19/20 and 20/21 14 and 13 in the SBC, 21/22 3 in the SBC from 30 appearances. 22/23 12 in L1, 23/24 199 in L1. Is L1 his level? I think he is. Thanks and good luck.
    Smith been a good servant but PW wants more 20 somethings (applies to Collo as well)
    Fozzy LWB/LB/CH competent in all 3 but his age is against him. 3 ACLs plus the time it took him to get over his injury this season and then broke down again on his return. You're a rock but it's time to go
    Waggy Ta lad. This really is the end of the line
    Robinson talks under way and I'd definitely keep him as he has a bright future
    Loach does some coaching as well. Apparently on less than a grand a week. If still capable if/when needed then as 3rd keeper, I'd be happy enough.

So..

Keep Sibs, JW, Tommo, Robinson

Also keep JJ and Loach but only if the circumstances are correct (pay as you play JJ and still capable if needed Loach). IMO more chance of the latter happening than the former

Buy Adams

The rest can go unless there are any option triggers the players can pull.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    ... it seems that EFL rules state that the retained list should be published no later than the 3rd Saturday in May. That's this Saturday, May 18th, a mere 4 days away. The lads are back from Vegas so the first bad news meetings will have taken place. List out very soon. I would be surprised if there were more than 7 names on the list now we are up in the Dizzy heights og the SBC. The only possible spanner in my works would be any "extras", such as Hourihane who I thought was going full time coaching at Villa but rumour now has it that his number of appearances triggered a 12 month option clause. Any more of that kind of surprise and the numbers I expect will rise.

Bird (already gone)
    Sibley who I'd keep
    Wildsmith who I'd keep
    Tommo keep
    Gayle looked class in L1 but had a huge failure at Stoke prior to coming to us. Too old? I think so
    Hourihane Full time coach at Villa or an extra season here? I'd let him unless the option rumours are true
    Collo Hard working goalscoring L1 CF 16/17 22 in L2, 17/18 20 in L2, 18/19 25 in L1, 19/20 and 20/21 14 and 13 in the SBC, 21/22 3 in the SBC from 30 appearances. 22/23 12 in L1, 23/24 199 in L1. Is L1 his level? I think he is. Thanks and good luck.
    Smith been a good servant but PW wants more 20 somethings (applies to Collo as well)
    Fozzy LWB/LB/CH competent in all 3 but his age is against him. 3 ACLs plus the time it took him to get over his injury this season and then broke down again on his return. You're a rock but it's time to go
    Loach does some coaching as well. Apparently on less than a grand a week. If still capable if/when needed then as 3rd keeper, I'd be happy enough.

So..

Also keep JJ and Loach but only if the circumstances are correct (pay as you play JJ and still capable if needed Loach). IMO more chance of the latter happening than the former

Buy Adams

Not disagreeing with much of that, although I’d definitely try and keep Smith, I’m not as sure about Tommo as you (at that level) and it’s your ‘head’ v my ‘heart’ where Fozzy is concerned…offer another year, mainly as a ‘bench’ player - which I think we thought two years ago - because his versatility could be invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post

Bird (already gone)
    Sibley who I'd keep
    Wildsmith who I'd keep
    Tommo keep

So..

Buy Adams

Fair go although I’d keep Smith for utility cover, whoever’s cheaper out of gayle and Collins (sorry collo but you’ll find employment elsewhere) and being equally ruthless I’d find a new home for Bradley, Washington and (please pan me if he turns out to be player of the season) Blacket Taylor

JJ?? Isn't he just an expired loan or have the Ar*e released him?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Fair go although I’d keep Smith for utility cover, whoever’s cheaper out of gayle and Collins (sorry collo but you’ll find employment elsewhere) and being equally ruthless I’d find a new home for Bradley, Washington and (please pan me if he turns out to be player of the season) Blacket Taylor
    Dare say most of us feel the same about the former two but they’ve got contracts. Not convinced we’ve seen a properly fit Blackett Tayor yet.

I think we might be surprised how many might be offered new contracts. We won't be shopping in Harrods for replacements, or m and s for that matter, while we might have moved on from the lighthouse shop well still be shopping in poundstretcher, we might make one purchase from primark if we are lucky.

Honestly don't see a major overhaul. I reckon gayle and waggy will go hourihane might as may take up a bigger role at villa, but I can see fozzy barks Collins staying on depending what we can offer. The noises are wildsmith is going, wonder if there was something in the Brighton talk and he's going there to take up a Carson type role.

4 or 5 out, 4 or 5 in I reckon.

I see some of you have expanded the scope away from the retained list. Of those still with contracts mentioned, Bradley will, IMO, stay as he is PWs route to a back 3 unless the plan is to play Nels in the middle of the 3 with Nyambe on the right and Bradley on the bench. Wash is a PW favourite and won't be moved on this summer. Blackett Taylor was injured when he arrived, got almost fit. One good cameo off the bench and played well against Pompey before the injury flared again. 12 appearances, 2 of which were good. Those stats make the negative comments very understandable. However, IMO, the 2 good ones are the "real" McCorey and not the less than average guy we saw in the other 10. Given a full pre season and being injury free, I believe the detractors will soon be on board with him.

I have now seen rumours around tinterwebthingy that appearances last season have triggered extension options for Barks, Fozzy and the skipper. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    I think we might be surprised how many might be offered new contracts. We won't be shopping in Harrods for replacements, or m and s for that matter, while we might have moved on from the lighthouse shop well still be shopping in poundstretcher, we might make one purchase from primark if we are lucky.

Honestly don't see a major overhaul. I reckon gayle and waggy will go hourihane might as may take up a bigger role at villa, but I can see fozzy barks Collins staying on depending what we can offer. The noises are wildsmith is going, wonder if there was something in the Brighton talk and he's going there to take up a Carson type role.

Not often I disagree with you Sith, but I really, really hope you’re wrong.
    I’ll be gutted if Wildsmith goes and haven’t heard that rumour. He was a brilliant signing two years ago, imo, and still has his best years ahead of him.
    Don’t expect us to be ‘shopping at Harrods’ but without a fairly major overhaul I fear it’ll be a long hard season.
    This side has done well this season but it’s been a poor division and the step up to even lower mid table in the Championship is considerable.
    Wildsmith, Cashin, NML, Smith, Sibley, Nyambe and Nelson are, I think, the only players with both proven Championship and fitness reliability records. I’d like Adams to join and there are others one can be optimistic about but we need serious strengthening.

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post

Obviously there is a budget, but would Warne have made the public comment that the squad will have to be "ripped up" if he wasn't able to make significant changes? Those with contracts will stay unless offers made for them which enables an upgrade, those whose contracts have ended will only be signed where they can meet the championship level. I'm thinking we could see 7 or 8 incoming.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)