+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 871 of 922 FirstFirst ... 371771821861869870871872873881921 ... LastLast
Results 8,701 to 8,710 of 9220

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Scottish ‘independence’ was ticking along nicely through ever greater devolution and imo Salmond and Sturgeon polarised the nation by pushing for the extreme option (and taking their eyes off other issues). The GR bill has really gone down badly with the plebs (I believe nearly 2 to 1 against) which hasn’t helped and she may have seen it as a final straw
    Not sure J K Rowling could be considered a pleb, but yes its has further divided opinion, though in reality, it doesn't change the current situation regarding the transgender situation and access to women's spaces, that's been happening for years. I recall back in 1990's we interviewed a trans person and there was great discussion as to if they were hired which toilets they would use. Society needs to figure out a way to manage this situation sensibly and with sensitivity to all concerned. a GRC does is enable somebody who has transitioned to be married or even buried etc. as a woman, but I'm not going to open that can of worms further!!

Yes the obvious option to pursue after 2014 was devolution max, which I believe was on offer, but the SNP wanted the extreme option, possibly influenced by their electoral success both at Holyrood and Westminster. That way they could easily have been much closer to independence and perhaps the Welsh approach has shown that to have been the better option?

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post

Society needs to figure out a way to manage this situation sensibly and with sensitivity to all concerned. a GRC does is enable somebody who has transitioned to be married or even buried etc. as a woman, but I'm not going to open that can of worms further!!

Yes the obvious option to pursue after 2014 was devolution max, which I believe was on offer, but the SNP wanted the extreme option, possibly influenced by their electoral success both at Holyrood and Westminster. That way they could easily have been much closer to independence and perhaps the Welsh approach has shown that to have been the better option?
    Well put on the GR issue...it’s complicated but your first sentence is what we all need to remember.

The Welsh comparison is interesting. Back in the late seventies and eighties they were probably the most militant, ‘come home to a log fire...’ or whatever the ‘joke’ was...accompanied by pictures of burning second homes, but now their quest for nationalism seems tame compared with some of the Scots.
    Having said that...Wales is a country I am more familiar with and there certainly doesn’t seem to be any loss of identity.

I fear rA that we shall see more so called "culture wars" being used by the Tories given they have no policies and no accomplishments for their 13 plus years in government apart from the "flagship" Brexit, which is falling apart spectacularly!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I fear rA that we shall see more so called "culture wars" being used by the Tories given they have no policies and no accomplishments for their 13 plus years in government apart from the "flagship" Brexit, which is falling apart spectacularly!
    Indeed...although as far as the ‘flagship’ is concerned...I wouldn’t be surprised to see a good scuttling.

Good to see this thread settle back down to it's routines of slagging Brexit and the Tories. I can Go back to ignoring it again. Not that I disagree with some of the content but it's repetitive to the point of being boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Good to see this thread settle back down to it's routines of slagging Brexit and the Tories....
    ... and that awful chap Farridge.

Genuinely impressed to see that this thread is still going.

Quote Originally Posted by triz View Post
    Genuinely impressed to see that this thread is still going.
    is impressed the right word ?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Good to see this thread settle back down to it's routines of slagging Brexit and the Tories. I can Go back to ignoring it again. Not that I disagree with some of the content but it's repetitive to the point of being boring.
    Well I suppose there is only so much that can be said about who should replace Cameron!

... or the massive amount of replacements there's been since Cameron..

Page 871 of 922 FirstFirst ... 371771821861869870871872873881921 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)