+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 618 of 922 FirstFirst ... 118518568608616617618619620628668718 ... LastLast
Results 6,171 to 6,180 of 9219

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

But don't take my word for it, here is an couple of paragraphs on the impact of brexit from a recent Insurance Journal.

Since the 2016 Brexit vote, the sector has reorganized to preserve a foothold in the EU, launching or beefing up subsidiaries and relocating staff and capital. Many banks and money managers are preparing for a further transfer of resources after a transition period ends in December.

Consultants EY said this week that around 7,000 financial services jobs will move from Britain to staff new EU hubs.

Failing to obtain equivalence could add risk-management, compliance, middle and back office roles to that figure, as well as trading and client-facing jobs, the sources said.

Not strictly Brexit but certainly a consequence thereof.......

Looking forward, I can't help but think that England, and Wales along with her, may well be utterly f*cked. The reason? Scotland. The Scots pay a lot into the Westminster coffers. They get between 55% and 60% of that back to do with as they will and they choose to have things like free tuition, free prescriptions etc. Things most English would like to have.

On top of what Scotland pays into Westminster, they also get hit with extra "debt". Crossrail, for instance, Cost billions and is a purely London affair having no effect on the Scots.... EXCEPT that they get loaded with a % of the costs as "debt". The same will happen if HS2 ever gets off the ground. Purely English infrastructure is partly paid for by the Scots who don't benefit from it. Scots MPs at Westminster no longer have a vote on things like HS2 as they are "English" projects but Scotland still gets to pay their share of the project.

Now they face losing what fishing rights they have left as a bargaining chip to help BoJo rescue something from the negotiations. What will to oil revenue? Will that also be a bargaining chip for BoJo?

Add to that the way BoJo and other Tories speak of Scotland, belittling them at every step, it should surprise noone that polls there continue to show a growing number of Scots who are pro independence. IMO, independence would be good for Scotland and very bad for England.

What if Scotland goes ahead and tries to organise a new independence referendum? It wouldn't surprise me to see BoJo send the troops in to prevent it because he knows he is b*ggered without the Scots "Union" membership fee each year.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Not strictly Brexit but certainly a consequence thereof.......

Looking forward, I can't help but think that England, and Wales along with her, may well be utterly f*cked. The reason? Scotland. The Scots pay a lot into the Westminster coffers. They get between 55% and 60% of that back to do with as they will and they choose to have things like free tuition, free prescriptions etc. Things most English would like to have.

On top of what Scotland pays into Westminster, they also get hit with extra "debt". Crossrail, for instance, Cost billions and is a purely London affair having no effect on the Scots.... EXCEPT that they get loaded with a % of the costs as "debt". The same will happen if HS2 ever gets off the ground. Purely English infrastructure is partly paid for by the Scots who don't benefit from it. Scots MPs at Westminster no longer have a vote on things like HS2 as they are "English" projects but Scotland still gets to pay their share of the project.

Now they face losing what fishing rights they have left as a bargaining chip to help BoJo rescue something from the negotiations. What will to oil revenue? Will that also be a bargaining chip for BoJo?

Add to that the way BoJo and other Tories speak of Scotland, belittling them at every step, it should surprise noone that polls there continue to show a growing number of Scots who are pro independence. IMO, independence would be good for Scotland and very bad for England.

What if Scotland goes ahead and tries to organise a new independence referendum? It wouldn't surprise me to see BoJo send the troops in to prevent it because he knows he is b*ggered without the Scots "Union" membership fee each year.
    Hiya Nicola how yer doing?

What absolute tosh that is.
    Since oil crashed and Scotland lost its heady days of the oil boom. It has been in decline for years.
    It is in the negative of GDP and where as the UK debt has fallen, Scotlands has stayed the same including oil proceeds. No mention I see that the oil is running out fast either.
    You mention fishing rights? The UK wants them reclaimed, yet Sturgeon wants them returned to the EU? Are you having a laugh?
    Your freebies you mention, are failing at every turn. Education/health perform terribly.

As for votes?? Since when does West minster have a say on anything in Holyrood?
    Yet the Scots have their say in West Minster.

This post was a party political broadcast on behalf of the SNP lol.

Before you start, I don't really give a flying on what the Jocks want. If they want independence, then by all means have it.
    Until they vote that way, then shut the **** up.

I have jock relatives in Aberdeenshire. Your pertrayal of Scottish feeling is a long way short of my experiances. Perhaps you have only been to Glasgow?

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Until they vote that way, then shut the **** up.
    Genuinely surprised by thatcomment from you..................... NOT !!

Fishing rights. If it's the Scots that negotiate a (partial) giveaway, they will do it for sometning of interest/value to the Scots as opposed to something for London.

Votes. Scottish MPs do NOT get a vote in the Commons on matters deemed to be purely English matters. Westminster is trying to block a 2nd referendum on independence in Scotland. BoJo is saying a flat NO! That despite the fact that, under international Law, Scotland soen't need his permission. The reason they are going through the legal processes they are is to prevent anybody being able to point at any wrongdoing from their side. The current court case is interesting. Westminster was sent all of the relevant documents and explanations and was asked for a response to the tens of pages sent. The answer was 2 sentences on a single A4 which did not say whether they agreed or disagreed with the points made and the backing evidence that had been provided. Basically treating the Scots with contempt.

The UK used to be the bastion of Law and Order. Always taking the higher ground. Now, it seems, the UK government is trawling the gutter like some banana dictatorship.

For your benefit TT, I am not a Scot, I am not aware of any Scottish relatives but I do have a lot of Scottish friends from various walks of life and I get my info from them.

Tricky....

https://www.businessforscotland.com/...bwsLHTvMcj6nuk

The Indyref people sent court documents to Westminster, a lengthy letter including dozens of pages of back up proof of what they were saying. The reply? Two sentences saying ""We refer to your letter of 31 January 2020. The United Kingdom Government’s position is that it is outside the legislative competence of the Scottish Parliament to legislate for and hold a referendum on Scottish independence."

Court it is then. BoJo will lose.

Tricky....

The Indyref people sent court documents to Westminster, a lengthy letter including dozens of pages of back up proof of what they were saying. The reply? Two sentences saying ""We refer to your letter of 31 January 2020. The United Kingdom Government’s position is that it is outside the legislative competence of the Scottish Parliament to legislate for and hold a referendum on Scottish independence."

Its a claim that is often made by the SNP, but examination of the facts does not really do more than say that IF one assumes that the tax revenues from oil and gas over the last 32 years were all Scottish, then tax and spending were balanced, that it neither country subsidised the other.

The reason for this is that expenditure by Scotland has been higher and has therefore evened out the additional tax revenue that flowed back to England.

Going forward with the decline in the oil and gas industry, its hard to see where Scotland would generate its revenues to replace this source of income.

The case regarding the referendum is clear constitutionally, they do need Westminsters consent, which is the reason the SNP have gone quiet on a referendum soon, that plus the fact that there is no evidence that support from the electorate has increased in favour of a referendum since the last one.

I do have Scottish relatives and they don't favour independence and don't see the point of pursuing a referendum at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Its a claim that is often made by the SNP, but examination of the facts does not really do more than say that IF one assumes that the tax revenues from oil and gas over the last 32 years were all Scottish, then tax and spending were balanced, that it neither country subsidised the other.

The reason for this is that expenditure by Scotland has been higher and has therefore evened out the additional tax revenue that flowed back to England.

Going forward with the decline in the oil and gas industry, its hard to see where Scotland would generate its revenues to replace this source of income.

The case regarding the referendum is clear constitutionally, they do need Westminsters consent, which is the reason the SNP have gone quiet on a referendum soon, that plus the fact that there is no evidence that support from the electorate has increased in favour of a referendum since the last one.

I do have Scottish relatives and they don't favour independence and don't see the point of pursuing a referendum at this point.
    Fair point well made.

Tricky....

hey they can have one for me. If they want go, then hey go.

But at least tell the truth.
    The SNP is spouting more crap than Geobbels ever managed.
    Here read this, If that isn't delusional I don't know what is. The SNP would take Scotland back to the stone age as long as independence was won.
    Not that I care anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...hole-last-year

Page 618 of 922 FirstFirst ... 118518568608616617618619620628668718 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)