+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 339 of 922 FirstFirst ... 239289329337338339340341349389439839 ... LastLast
Results 3,381 to 3,390 of 9219

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not if you’re still trying to make out that ‘over half the electorate’ voted for it...no!
    Show of hands?

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Show of hands?
    Tricky...one more time...really slowly...
    The electorate is made up of a minimum of forty six and a half million people. I say ‘a minimum’ because that doesn’t include those who for whatever reason - students, homeless, recently moved etc - were not registered.

Of those forty six and a half million only 17,410,742 voted for Brexit. Even in your wildest dreams you cannot possibly equate that to ‘half the electorate’.

At least (see above) 12,948,018 did not or could not vote and 16,141,241 voted for Remain. That means that of the 46,500,000 who make up the electorate 29,089,259 did NOT vote for Brexit.

All for reasoned argument about Brexit and the EU but if you still think ‘half the electorate’ (post #3376) voted for Brexit then you have no grasp at all of the basic facts which also explains why I am sick and tired of hearing leading Brexiteers repeatedly claiming that 17,410,742 out of 46,500,001 equals the ‘Will of the People’. It simply doesn’t and that is fundamental to any debate.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Tricky...one more time...really slowly...
    The electorate is made up of a minimum of forty six and a half million people. I say ‘a minimum’ because that doesn’t include those who for whatever reason - students, homeless, recently moved etc - were not registered.

Of those forty six and a half million only 17,410,742 voted for Brexit. Even in your wildest dreams you cannot possibly equate that to ‘half the electorate’.

At least (see above) 12,948,018 did not or could not vote and 16,141,241 voted for Remain. That means that of the 46,500,000 who make up the electorate 29,089,259 did NOT vote for Brexit.

All for reasoned argument about Brexit and the EU but if you still think ‘half the electorate’ (post #3376) voted for Brexit then you have no grasp at all of the basic facts which also explains why I am sick and tired of hearing leading Brexiteers repeatedly claiming that 17,410,742 out of 46,500,001 equals the ‘Will of the People’. It simply doesn’t and that is fundamental to any debate.
    To which the only response, which I may have posted before, is from that great philosopher, economist and tub-thumper Neil Peart 'If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice', and in this case, IMO (and remember the vote went AGAINST how I voted), those who chose not to decide passed the burden of decision to those who did. The argument will run and run, but you stand no chance of winning it, and neither of course does Tricky.
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 15-05-2018 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    To which the only response, which I may have posted before, is from that great philosopher, economist and tub-thumper Neil Peart 'If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice', and in this case, IMO (and remember the vote went AGAINST how I voted), those who chose not to decide passed the burden of decision to those who did. The argument will run and run, but you stand no chance of winning it, and neither of course does Tricky.
    It’s not over till...trying to think of a relevant fat lady...anyway...I suspect it’s not all over yet Andy.
    That’s not the point though...the only reason for trotting out those figures (again) is that Brexiteers like Tricky keep claiming that the majority or, in his exact words, ‘half the electorate’ voted their way...that his view represents the ‘Will of the people’ and that is simply untrue and not even close to being factually correct.

Sorry rA but the will of the people was cast!! IE: Majority vote for could'nt care a toss so we will leave it up to the 'rest of you', 'rest of you' voted out. Quite simple really (and I voted In!! but was outvoted!!)
    The bottom line is rA in this country (for better or worse) the majority could'nt care a brass monkey's ******* about owt political or government related. That is what makes us the perfect democracy and why the majority (the could'nt give a flying duck's) won the day as they always do every time we cast (or don't) our vote! !

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Sorry rA but the will of the people was cast!! IE: Majority vote for could'nt care a toss so we will leave it up to the 'rest of you', 'rest of you' voted out. Quite simple really (and I voted In!! but was outvoted!!)
    The bottom line is rA in this country (for better or worse) the majority could'nt care a brass monkey's ******* about owt political or government related. That is what makes us the perfect democracy and why the majority (the could'nt give a flying duck's) won the day as they always do every time we cast (or don't) our vote! !
    Seldom disagree and always respect your views mac...but I don’t think saying most people aren’t interested is good enough in this instance.
    This isn’t like an election, the outcome of which can be challenged/overthrown in a little under five years. This is a decision that is going to have an impact for decades to come. I always thought having a referendum on such an issue was stupid...to stand by a decision reached by a minority as a result of complacency and disinterest on the part of the majority simply compounds that stupidity.

That is the whole point rA, it is'nt good enough that people don't care but the bottom line is they don't. You care, many people do but in a democracy we allow the don't cares a vote and they invariably are the greatest number. When we joined the majority were also don't cares but we went in anyway. It was wrong then and it is wrong now and will be wrong many times again but I prefer it to most other systems.
    Perhaps I have greater belief in my fellow citizens in that I voted in, others voted out but in OR out I know we will make a success of it, that is my belief in my country and it's citizens!! By making it a resounding success we will prove that letting the don't cares decide every decision this great country makes is not necessarily a bad thing!! Perhaps they know more than us!!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    That is the whole point rA, it is'nt good enough that people don't care but the bottom line is they don't. You care, many people do but in a democracy we allow the don't cares a vote and they invariably are the greatest number. When we joined the majority were also don't cares but we went in anyway. It was wrong then and it is wrong now and will be wrong many times again but I prefer it to most other systems.
    Perhaps I have greater belief in my fellow citizens in that I voted in, others voted out but in OR out I know we will make a success of it, that is my belief in my country and it's citizens!! By making it a resounding success we will prove that letting the don't cares decide every decision this great country makes is not necessarily a bad thing!! Perhaps they know more than us!!
    Mac, I'll add to that that the success will be business driven not politics driven, just IMO of course

It's by no means a perfect way of deciding things, but it's the the best way and is currently used in all sorts of situations.

For example; I and many thousands, if hundreds of thousands of people who have building society accounts with a certain building society, get a voting form every year for the Agm. Like myself, huge majority just bin these forms and a relatively few people actually vote on matters. I wonder if those who lost the vote constantly moan that a majority didn't vote for the other way? Those who don't cast their vote are considered to be abstaining and the result is considered to represent the will of the meeting /company.

The point is, Andy, despite the best efforts of politicians to balls the job up and the results of every election and referendum we have ever had we, the people, carry on regardless. That's why I will do my bit (not much these days) to make it a success and it will be a success of that I have not the slightest doubt.

Page 339 of 922 FirstFirst ... 239289329337338339340341349389439839 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)