+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manager Merry Go Round

Manager Merry Go Round

I am becoming bemused by some of the decisions made by clubs re managers. Following the puzzling decision to sack Rosenior, not 6 months after giving him a new contract, Chelsea have parted company with Pochettino and it seems both Brighton, Chelsea and possibly Manure are after Kieran McKenna.

Now I know McKenna has worked wonders getting two promotions in two seasons, but he has never managed in the premier league and only been a manager for just over two seasons!!

I guess recruiting a manager on the basis of his record as a manager is more logical than on the basis they were a great player as has happened to Rooney, Lampard and Gerard, but even so it seems totally bizarre to go for a manager who has never managed a club with the weight of expectation that Chelsea or Man U have. Brighton might seem a better fit, I'd question the sanity of the guy if he accepted either man U or Chelsea, look what happened to Graham Potter, but then I guess a contract of several million per year for 3 plus years rather guarantees ones financial future and if it all blows up then so what?

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I am becoming bemused by some of the decisions made by clubs re managers. Following the puzzling decision to sack Rosenior, not 6 months after giving him a new contract, Chelsea have parted company with Pochettino and it seems both Brighton, Chelsea and possibly Manure are after Kieran McKenna.

Now I know McKenna has worked wonders getting two promotions in two seasons, but he has never managed in the premier league and only been a manager for just over two seasons!!

I guess recruiting a manager on the basis of his record as a manager is more logical than on the basis they were a great player as has happened to Rooney, Lampard and Gerard, but even so it seems totally bizarre to go for a manager who has never managed a club with the weight of expectation that Chelsea or Man U have. Brighton might seem a better fit, I'd question the sanity of the guy if he accepted either man U or Chelsea, look what happened to Graham Potter, but then I guess a contract of several million per year for 3 plus years rather guarantees ones financial future and if it all blows up then so what?
    Your last sentence says it all, why would an individual not take advantage of corporate madness for the sake of his own security? Let’s just hope such idiocy doesn’t come knocking on Derby’s door, the signs are good

I'm surprised at Poch, not sure if he jumped or was pushed but Chelsea have shown signs of improvement of late.

Derby have done their own fair share of paying managers off in recent times under mad Melvyn, hopefully as said that's done now.

Rumoured that Poch wouldn't have control over transfers, so happy to leave.
    And yes, I would absolutely take on a job I'd fail at within 3 months to take financial security for life!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    Rumoured that Poch wouldn't have control over transfers, so happy to leave.
    And yes, I would absolutely take on a job I'd fail at within 3 months to take financial security for life!
    I’ve just gone on Jobsite and applied for the Chelsea job

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Your last sentence says it all, why would an individual not take advantage of corporate madness for the sake of his own security? Let’s just hope such idiocy doesn’t come knocking on Derby’s door, the signs are good
    True, though most managers at championship level are on what £250K a year or more? So hardly financial penury for most people. It amused me when Henderson's reason for going to Saudi was "financial security" I mean he was hardly a pauper when he left Liverpool and would have commanded a 6 figure weekly salary in the Uk or Europe!

But I accept that my philosophy of having enough money to live comfortably is not necessarily shared by those who think having many millions in the bank is the route to happiness! If one measures ones success by that rather than ones personal achievements in the career or indeed life you follow, its rather sad to me.

Sith has touched upon the issue, clubs like Chelsea etc. seem to be moving to a structure that sees the manager as Head Coach, with numerous sporting directors etc. handling recruitment and squad development. Poch clearly wasn't going to go along with that scenario, whereas a younger more malleable manager probably will.

But I accept that my philosophy of having enough money to live comfortably is not necessarily shared by those who think having many millions in the bank is the route to happiness! If one measures ones success by that rather than ones personal achievements in the career or indeed life you follow, its rather sad to me.
    Couldn’t agree more.

Where Chelsea are concerned, I’d guess many of us on here got initially interested in football in the years immediately before the 1966 World Cup.
    Between the turn of the century and that 1966 event Chesea had six managers including one who ‘reigned’ from 1907-33! They’re now looking for their 39th - including 11 in the last ten years - since 1967. Says it all really…complete madness.

[QUOTE=swaledale;40507846]True, though most managers at championship level are on what £250K a year or more? So hardly financial penury for most people. It amused me when Henderson's reason for going to Saudi was "financial security" I mean he was hardly a pauper when he left Liverpool and would have commanded a 6 figure weekly salary in the Uk or Europe!

/QUOTE]

Left Saudi to go to Ajax, probably to attempt to secure a place in the England squad for the Euros. Following a disastrous season where Ajax found themselves bottom in October, they climbed to 5th to secure a play off place for the UEFA Conference League. It's now rumoured he's angling for yet another move...

[QUOTE=MadAmster;40507854]
    True, though most managers at championship level are on what £250K a year or more? So hardly financial penury for most people. It amused me when Henderson's reason for going to Saudi was "financial security" I mean he was hardly a pauper when he left Liverpool and would have commanded a 6 figure weekly salary in the Uk or Europe!

/QUOTE]

Left Saudi to go to Ajax, probably to attempt to secure a place in the England squad for the Euros. Following a disastrous season where Ajax found themselves bottom in October, they climbed to 5th to secure a play off place for the UEFA Conference League. It's now rumoured he's angling for yet another move...
    I don't think he liked living in Saudi! It did occur to me at the time that for all the millions being paid, I wasn't sure many Uk players would hack it for long, given they often find living and playing anywhere but the UK rather difficult!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Couldn’t agree more.

Where Chelsea are concerned, I’d guess many of us on here got initially interested in football in the years immediately before the 1966 World Cup.
    Between the turn of the century and that 1966 event Chesea had six managers including one who ‘reigned’ from 1907-33! They’re now looking for their 39th - including 11 in the last ten years - since 1967. Says it all really…complete madness.
    I seem to remember reading that under Abramovich, one season Chelsea paid in excess of £80 million compensation to managers!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)