+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 312 of 922 FirstFirst ... 212262302310311312313314322362412812 ... LastLast
Results 3,111 to 3,120 of 9219

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

"only 37% of the actual electorate voted"

There you go RamAnag, that'll save your keyboard some wear and tear

I just don't get why some mugs don't vote. They should go live in some totalitarian society where there's no vote on offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    I just don't get why some mugs don't vote. They should go live in some totalitarian society where there's no vote on offer.
    If you don't have an opinion or standing on a matter, then you shouldn't vote IMO, as you are discrediting someone else's vote. We have the right to vote, and we have the right to abstain.

Yes adis - vote abstain - spoilt vote, but exercise your right.

Yeah, yeah...I know it’s repetitive, but as someone recently claimed...’nothing has changed’...and until it does the argument remains the same.
    There is a massive amount at stake here and the following facts can’t, in my opinion, be ignored.
    1) The electorate were not presented with the facts...they were presented with lies and half truths.
    2) The electorate are not sufficiently capable and were not sufficiently well informed to be able to reach a decision of this complexity.
    3) The referendum took place in late June, this is a time when many people take their holidays in order to gain the joint benefits of decent weather and out of school holiday prices. With this in mind it was always likely that some people wouldn’t be able to vote without taking the necessary steps before they went on holiday.
    4) Since the Referendum, which many complacently thought would be a ‘shoe in’ for ‘Remain’, the amount of anxiety and pessimism within the business/finance communities has been unprecedentedly high and these feelings need now to be taken notice of.
    5) Much has been said about democracy and the voice of the people. I always believed that ‘democracy’ somehow equates to ‘majority rule’...the percentage of people who voted for Brexit is a very long way from ‘majority rule’ or the ‘voice of the people’.
    6) Twenty odd months on, despite regularly being told...’Brexit means Brexit’ there is still no one in this country who can thruthfully say they know what ‘sort’ of Brexit we are heading for so how the hell could we vote for it twenty plus months ago?

Utterly tedious and repetitive I know and I apologise for that...I’m a stubborn sod and this really should matter to all of us.

As for Andy’s two points, I have to say they seem untypically ill thought through to me. I’m being anything but ‘backward looking’. I’m looking to the future, listening to those who are infinitely more knowledgeable than me and I see trouble in store for my children and grandchildren.
    On the question of ‘hypocracy’. As it happens I didn’t enter any polling booth...I was on holiday and made the necessary arrangements...easy when you’re largely retired...not so easy for busy people in full employment, but I’m ‘celebrating’ nothing. I recognise that more people voted Leave than Remain, of course I do, but it would have been ridiculous for me to abstain and I simply cannot now recognise that what effectively became a protest vote, based on a tissue of lies and supported by just over a third of the electorate is the best way for this country to decide its future.

Sorry, I’ll try and shut up now.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 08-02-2018 at 02:34 PM.

Phew

If I were PM, I'll move a Bill in Parliament scrapping Brexit.

As an offering to the Brexiters, while I would have to accept the open borders concept, I would put a caveat for everyone coming over - having to pass a 'security clearance.' This security clearance will be dragged on and on for those deemed unacceptable.
    I'd strike deals with Hungary, Greece and Bulgaria, possibly Poland. The Uk will oppose any attempt to sanction them for their actions in return for their vote on any attempt by Brussels to force stuff on us.

The power of the veto.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Phew
    Tired after a run Roger?

You shouldn't do heavy strenuous stuff at your age and size, with a dicky heart and fat arse.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    As for Andy’s two points, I have to say they seem untypically ill thought through to me. I’m being anything but ‘backward looking’. I’m looking to the future, listening to those who are infinitely more knowledgeable than me and I see trouble in store for my children and grandchildren.

On the question of ‘hypocracy’. As it happens I didn’t enter any polling booth...I was on holiday and made the necessary arrangements...easy when you’re largely retired...not so easy for busy people in full employment, but I’m ‘celebrating’ nothing. I recognise that more people voted Leave than Remain, of course I do, but it would have been ridiculous for me to abstain and I simply cannot now recognise that what effectively became a protest vote, based on a tissue of lies and supported by just over a third of the electorate is the best way for this country to decide its future.

Sorry, I’ll try and shut up now.
    Ramanag, the first point was supposed to be a lighthearted aside, aimed more at we bean counters than you. Hey ho.

On the second point, I respect your stubborn stance, but my point is you wouldn't be calling for a rerun if remain had won with 37%. For my part, I came to terms with the decision about twenty to five on the 24th June when Dimbleby bashed his mug on the table and since then I've been an advocate for making the best job we can of the divorce and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Much has been said about democracy and the voice of the people. I always believed that ‘democracy’ somehow equates to ‘majority rule’...the percentage of people who voted for Brexit is a very long way from ‘majority rule’ or the ‘voice of the people’..
    It means something close to that rA but, depending on the rules governing any particular vote, it varies.

It can mean more than 50% of those eligible to vote
    It can mean more than 50% of those who actually bothered to vote as in the case of Brexit. The shock to me was how very few young people voted and now they are the largest group of complainers.
    Other votes have to have >66% of those voting
    etc etc etc

Things with the impact of the Brexit vote should have a larger requirement. It has brought about a huge, really huge, fundamental change and 48% of those who could be bothered to vote were against it. 63% of those eligible didn't vote for it and probably 60% of those eligible would have been against it had they bothered to vote.

It is majority rules but the parameters are always set down prior to voting. In this case there should have been a requirement for at least xx% turnout (66 or 75 or.......) and that at least 66% of those voting were in favour of the winning side, which turned out to be Brexit.

The result is 100% democratic according to the rules laid down for the referendum. 50% +1 of the votes cast takes the day.

Whichever side of the fence you are on, hopefully, we can all agree on it being, quite possibly, one in the eye for globalisation......

Page 312 of 922 FirstFirst ... 212262302310311312313314322362412812 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)