+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 454 of 922 FirstFirst ... 354404444452453454455456464504554 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,540 of 9219

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Actually I don't have any such stories, Dad too young, Granddad too old

And that's the French being French!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    And that's the French being French!!!
    Or perhaps a classic example of le petit Anglais.

Jo Brand and Carrefour in the same week...manna from heaven for some.

As a country we are not liked by many including the French which is why I can't understand why everyone want's to live here, they do like our money though! I'm just hoping they don't get their grubby little hands on that 39 billion, unless of course they give us a better deal!

We used to be MoP...been to France many, many times and I think I’ve met one objectionable anti-Brit and that was about fif**** years ago.
    In my experience the same is true of Italy, Germany, Portugal, Holland and Spain where I’ve always been made to feel very welcome.

I’m not sure what your experience of France is...or other European nations, but the worst behaviour I’ve ever seen in Europe has come from the English, whether that be Newcastle fans taking over Bruges or grumpy old folk repeatedly shouting ‘milk...I want milk’ because they can’t be bothered to learn a few basic and predictable phrases.

Again in my experience, if you make a little bit of effort you’ll be rewarded with a welcome...if you adopt an elitist ‘Jonny Foreigner’ approach - aka the Brexiteer mindset - you’ll reap what you sow. If we’re ‘not liked by many’ it’s something we’ve brought on ourselves imo.

As a country we are not liked by many including the French which is why I can't understand why everyone want's to live here, they do like our money though! I'm just hoping they don't get their grubby little hands on that 39 billion, unless of course they give us a better deal!
    Disagree, other than when I visited Estonia I've never met any anti English person. Except in England. Lots of English people hate us being English. Fueled by left wing media and Russian propaganda.

Fact! Nice to your face only, we are not liked do you ever watch the Eurovision song contest!

We had our honeymoon in Paris. We were looking at which boat trip to book on the Seine and were conversing in Dutch. When I tried to ask a question I was ignored. I immediately knew why. A quick "Mademoiselle, ma femme est hollandaise et je suis anglais" led to us being helped very politely....... she thought we were German.......

I do think that the French "anti-English" stance is quite true at government levels. Probably because the UK says what it is going to do and then does exactly what it said. The French don't get that at all.

Fact! Nice to your face only, we are not liked do you ever watch the Eurovision song contest!
    No! Well not since Sandie Shaw won when I was about twelve.

Kind of proves my point though...we used to be liked but countries, like people, have to take responsibility for why attitudes towards them change.

Your ‘fact’ is absolutely not a fact is it? It might be your experience...it certainly isn’t mine and the idea that those pesky Europeans are stabbing us in the back as soon as we look away just smacks of Brexiteer paranoia. Where’s your evidence?

Interesting example ‘Amster, which supports my theory and casts doubt over the notion of this French/German EU conspiracy so beloved of Brexit supporters.
    I would question the notion that British politicians do as they say though. When was the last time that happened? We even have a prospective PM who won’t debate or answer any questions.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 17-06-2019 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Interesting example ‘Amster, which supports my theory and casts doubt over the notion of this French/German EU conspiracy so beloved of Brexit supporters.
    I would question the notion that British politicians do as they say though. When was the last time that happened? We even have a prospective PM who won’t debate or answer any questions.
    It has always been my contention that the Common Market/EU is run BY the French and Germans FOR the French and Germans. I point to the way the EU/CM policies have been far from disadvantageous to both countries, the French especially in the form of grants etc and the Germans in how EU policy seems to help their economy.

The French use the CAP and the CFP to avoid having to invest in innovation. The CAP as it helps thousands of French farmers to, basically, do absolutely nothing but keep on getting their annual subsidy for doing exactly nothing. I would, and so would many EU countries, change the CAP. I would INCREASE the current subsidy but give it a limited life span of between 5 and 10 years. During that time the farmers would be expected to try other uses for the land in order to generate income. Once that period has expired, that's it. If they are still unable to make a living off the use of their land, the subsidies stop, permanently and they can then support themselves which will probably entail their selling the land to someone who will make profitable use of it. The CFP as countries have signed it and then ignore it, catching as much as they want. The French, as with their agriculture, refuse to modernise. A lot of fish gets thrown back into the sea, dead, because they are the wrong type of fish. Dutch fishermen invested in innovation and came up with pulse fishing which, as the name says, sends out a pulse that causes fish to "jump" into their nets. It somehow only gets the fish they want of the right size and species, the nets are above the sea bed so there is no damage to the sea floor as there is with the old fashioned trawl nets as used by the French amongst others. Pulse fishing is better for fish stocks, better for the sea bed. The French managed to get pulse fishing banned........

Who benefitted from the forced selling off of Greek infrastructure such as harbours in order to pay off some of the debt? A debt that increased something like tenfold thanks to the "rescue package". It was German financiers that bought it up on the cheap.

As for individual British politicians, I agree with you, however, as with the CAP, the CFP and other "deals" signed by the UK Government, once signed and accepted the UK sticks to it. Others don't.

Page 454 of 922 FirstFirst ... 354404444452453454455456464504554 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)