+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 519 of 922 FirstFirst ... 19419469509517518519520521529569619 ... LastLast
Results 5,181 to 5,190 of 9219

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Not ‘anti investment’ at all, Angry...all for investment, in areas such as health, education, farming (including rewilding), road networks and surfaces, sewerage, affordable housing and public transport. Just asking if HS2 justifies the prioritisation it has received.

I agree rA, can't help but feel that there a way better uses for that money in improving our rail infrastructure and rollingstock. I am a great believer in public transport and would love to see those personal transport pods known as cars sidelined in favour of better train/tram/bus networks.

But ever since Beeching in the 60s more and more people are being taken out of rail network access, particularly in rural areas. Spend the money on restoring the greater network and give access to more users, not to an elite city to city traveller.

It will be interesting to see if HS2 actually spreads jobs and opens up the North and Midlands to economic revival as suggested. But I suspect that the shorter journey times will simply lead to people commuting to London from ever further away.

Furthermore, the incidence of remote and home working continues to rise and, it may come as a shock to government, there are things called laptops, mobile phones, videotech and so on which both mean you "don't need to be there to do it" and "you can work on the train".

It just makes no sense to me. Channel the investment better

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Whilst on about white elephants. There has been non bigger than that by the labour government scrapping the TSR-2 in 1965. It was light years ahead of anything on the planet and could have made us a fortune. But Labour being labour scrapped it, leaving the door open for the yanks. All that money wasted on development.
    Totally agree about TSR-2

IMO on balance it doesn’t but that’s no my issue, which is that from minute 1 it has been a gravy train for big business in the business areas concerned, I’ve sat in offices in the Birmingham area where people were wandering round looking for something to do whilst on an hourly rate being invoiced through the corporations that recruited them to gov.uk so intimately you and I

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not ‘anti investment’ at all, Angry...all for investment, in areas such as health, education, farming (including rewilding), road networks and surfaces, sewerage, affordable housing and public transport. Just asking if HS2 justifies the prioritisation it has received.
    Rewilding.. We have too many trees as it is Build a car park, that's what we do down sarf.

I know very little about HS2, so you lot could be right. One thing I know for sure is that it is not all about 10 mins off a journey time. Of the options you have quoted above, I would go for the tangible ones. Roads, public transport.
    I quite like the fact that UKPLC is investing in big ticket engineering projects. Don't get me started on the 3rd runway at LHR which is absolutely crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryRam View Post
    Don't get me started on the 3rd runway at LHR which is absolutely crucial.
    Hmmm, sounds like someone has a high value CPO on his house plus extra compensation if the new runway happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Hmmm, sounds like someone has a high value CPO on his house plus extra compensation if the new runway happens!
    Who Me ????

Might be right through my office though

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Isn't the London - Manchester time supposed to reduce from 2 hours to 1 hour on HS2? That's not a few minutes.

What about HS2 being the basis of the Northern Powerhouse... or will all the money be spent on bloody Southerners again?
    Its also about freeing up capacity in the existing network, fast passenger trains and slower freight don't mix, of course its cack handed in the planning and for some reason will be double the budget, but then european countries have been there done that and got their high speed lines, the UK lags behind as always.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Its also about freeing up capacity in the existing network, fast passenger trains and slower freight don't mix, of course its cack handed in the planning and for some reason will be double the budget, but then european countries have been there done that and got their high speed lines, the UK lags behind as always.
    We agree on something ...

Well, well, well...away from HS2 and back to the B-word.
    So the Queen is now to be asked to prorogue Parliament from 9th September...funny that...wasn’t Brexit largely about our sovereignty and the sovereignty of our British Parliament?
    So what’s the next step...probably dreamt up by the completely unelected and wholly undemocratic Cummings creature? Suspend that very same Parliament. Bonkers!

Page 519 of 922 FirstFirst ... 19419469509517518519520521529569619 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)