+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 348 of 922 FirstFirst ... 248298338346347348349350358398448848 ... LastLast
Results 3,471 to 3,480 of 9219

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I was listening to Robert Peston as I trundled past Lyon on Saturday and he made the very good point tha
    t many of those fools who voted leave don’t think they could get any poorer so the concept of it costing ‘us’ a fortune is irrelevant.
    Andy not sure listening to Peston is a good idea
    ( many of the fools who voted leave don't think they can get any poorer ) Well we are repeatedly told the elderly have all the money in this country But according to You Gov figures 64% of over 65 voted leave and there figures say Labour voters 68% Remain Lib Dems 69 % Conservatives 39% Remain The highest counties to vote leave were Surrey 71% Hampshire 73 % So I'm not sure where the poor come into the equation

The resignation of Boris Johnson as foreign secretary serves as a perfect metaphor for the tragedy and hypocrisy of Brexit. Here is the Old Etonian who placed himself at the helm of the people’s uprising against the establishment, but only after hesitating about which side to join.

To appreciate the selfish cynicism of these people and their contempt for the electorate, witness the response by Steve Baker, another departing Brexiteer minister, when asked why Vote Leave did not warn people about the difficulties of departure. “In the course of the campaign people must select the arguments that they think will win,” he responded.

I actually think this increases the likelihood of a hard or no deal Brexit, not to mention an election or two and probably a hung parliament. At the risk of awakening the Kraken i think I’ll vote Lib Dem this time round
    We are not there yet, but in reality this deal or one very much like it, a soft Brexit as its called is the only realistic Brexit that will be achieved and anybody who actually understands how the economy works knew that over two years ago and I said as much a long long time ago.

All this talk about "taking back control" is so much piffle, the rise of the pan national corporation, that can and does switch production from country to country as it wishes means that governments power is severely limited, unless they are happy to see hundreds of thousands unemployed, millions in tax revenues disappear and the country be much poorer as a result.

Of course in two decades it is possible that the Uk would recover from the economic blow, but there are precious few politicians and fewer voters who would wait that long, meanwhile Frage and his wealthy chums will continue to enjoy their lifestyles - in Fagae's case a nice little bonus in the shape of his MEP severance package and pension, chancers the lot of them playing with peoples lives.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    the rise of the pan national corporation, that can and does switch production from country to country as it wishes means that governments power is severely limited
    that general issue is what swayed me to vote Remain. Many who I share opinions with have no interest in that issue, and in fact they appear to be quite satisfied with the treatment of their only real issue, freedom of movement of people,

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Andy not sure listening to Peston is a good idea
    ( many of the fools who voted leave don't think they can get any poorer ) Well we are repeatedly told the elderly have all the money in this country But according to You Gov figures 64% of over 65 voted leave and there figures say Labour voters 68% Remain Lib Dems 69 % Conservatives 39% Remain The highest counties to vote leave were Surrey 71% Hampshire 73 % So I'm not sure where the poor come into the equation
    We have contributors to this forum who have repeatedly said that Brexit was swayed by the less well off, who were too simple to realise what they were voting for, and that it will be those people who Brexit will hurt most. I disagree with that because I don't think there's a correlation between hard-upness and simplemindedness, your figures suggest it wasn't the case anyway

Nice to see the return of the old ‘Swaledale’ talking total sense, as opposed to the ‘Real Swaley’ who...well let’s not go there and...just for the record...I agree 100% with posts 3472 & 3473.

Mista, you are, I believe, that rare thing...a self made and self employed man with a social conscience...Brexit has always been a horrible alliance of the wealthiest and the poorest imo...those who are in it for themselves alongside those with nothing to lose who helped the patriotically deluded to hollow ‘victory’ two years ago.
    That is the tragedy of Brexit imo and a problem we still need to face unless we are happy with the absurdity of Rees-Mogg, Farage and Aaron Banks becoming the mouthpieces of the ‘have nots’.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 09-07-2018 at 11:29 PM.

bratatatabratatatbratatatbratatat

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Nice to see the return of the old ‘Swaledale’ talking total sense, as opposed to the ‘Real Swaley’ who...well let’s
    not go there and...just for the record...I agree 100% with posts 3472 & 3473.

Mista, you are, I believe, that rare thing...a self made and self employed man with a social conscience...Brexit has always been a horrible alliance of the wealthiest and the poorest imo...those who are in it for themselves alongside those with nothing to lose who helped the patriotically deluded to hollow ‘victory’ two years ago.
    That is the tragedy of Brexit imo and a problem we still need to face unless we are happy with the absurdity of Rees-Mogg, Farage and Aaron Banks becoming the mouthpieces of the ‘have nots’.
    RA yes you spot on with that analogy

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    bratatatabratatatbratatatbratatat
    LOL...not ‘defending’, Parky...just agreeing.

Besides, nice to have some support on this particular thread for a change, who knows...the way things were going yesterday even Andy and Swale might find themselves on the same side.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 10-07-2018 at 04:33 PM.

We have contributors to this forum who have repeatedly said that Brexit was swayed by the less well off, who were too simple to realise what they were voting for, and that it will be those people who Brexit will hurt most. I disagree with that because I don't think there's a correlation between hard-upness and simplemindedness, your figures suggest it wasn't the case anyway
    The leave vote was a complicated mix, of people at the "bottom of the heap" so to speak who were rightly brassed off with the unfair treatment they have suffered over decades, those people who (while failing to recognise that immigration has been more positive than negative for this country over the years) were anti immigrant for whatever reason and the older generation who hark back to some so called golden years when the Uk was a major force in the world and who have never recovered from the fact that we no longer have an empire.

Oh and course self serving ****s like Boris Johnson and Farage who saw an opportunity to elevate themselves on the political stage beyond where their actual abilities would get them.

Page 348 of 922 FirstFirst ... 248298338346347348349350358398448848 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)