+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 548 of 922 FirstFirst ... 48448498538546547548549550558598648 ... LastLast
Results 5,471 to 5,480 of 9220

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Sadly Andy the appointment of Jo Swinson doesn’t inspire much confidence does it?
    You’d think with an imbecile like Johnson in charge the business of opposition would be relatively straightforward.
    Unfortunately we seem to be in a time when the three major party leaders, not to mention the U.S. President, appear equally delusional, inadequate or narcissistic.
    Oh for some common sense from the likes of Starmer, Benn, Clarke and, although I never thought I’d say it, Grieve.
    I’ll probably - and pragmatically - still vote Liberal but with about as much enthusiasm as you’ll vote Remain.
    Mostly agreed apart from the omission of any criticism of the opportunistic Chuka Umunna IMO 100% not to be trusted, I’m sure he’d have a good argument for black being white

How's this for a new slant on the referendum. Looking at the implementation of the result of a first past the post vote.

More people voted Leave than voted Remain. That means that the UK will leave the EU.

What the referendum didn't address was the how. There was always 2 routes the UK could go down. Either leave without anything in place and go down the WTO route (unless some 3rd world country vetos that idea, something which appears to be within WTO rules) or to reach some agreement with the EU on how the 2 entities will cooperate with each other going forward.

What would the separation mean for citizens of one entity who live in the other entity. That is important. Cooperation between legal systems and those who carry it out such as the police. Will the intelligence services still work together. Effects on air and sea travel due to restrictions in air space and territorial waters. Military cooperation outside of NATO and many, many other things. Common sense demands that there is some kind of agreement because without it there could be mayhem and chaos.

A deal is, IMO, an absolute necessity. A deal opens a path, an orderly path, to keep the status quo until such time as all those extermely important and vi-tal issues have been solved and the trade agreement between UK/EU has been agreed in order to cause the least amount of problems possible.

The ballot paper didn't mention a deal but, logically, it was a vote on what hapeens not how it happens.

IMO it has been an act of utter stupidity from both sides to spend 3 and a half years quibbling about the framework yet spending no time on choosing what meat to put on the bones. There are a lot of UK citizens who will never vote again and that is down to the government and the EU Commission who have both been way too intransigent.

Why did they take the decision to delay trade talks until the framework was complete? Why did it take the UK well over 2 years to come up with a standpoint in October of 2018?

I blame Remain politicans who should have been active from day 1 but weren't. They have been completely disrespectful of the result by their (in)action.

It looks highly likely now that there will be No Deal. I hope we don't see Indonesia or the Phillipines or some other country veto the WTO route. If that option disappears I have no idea what will happen to tariffs other countries put on UK goods and services. Even with WTO tariffs there will be 48% on lamb exports and 84% on beef........

The politicians charged with carrying out the result of the referendum have an awful lot to answer for and that is true whether you voted Leave, voted Remain, have since changed your mind, didn't vote or have become so disenchanted with politics you don't give a toss anymore. There were more leave votes than there were remain votes. It was an advisory vote but the PM had promised that whichever standpoint won would be carried out. That should have been worked on with gusto. It has, as far as meaningful and serious action is concerned, been put on the back burner or probably off the stove altogether. I fully understand why so many have lost faith in politics.

My flabber is utterly ghasted. Somebody on my FB friends list has me confused.

The person in question posted a meme "Look the public voted Brexit, The end". Concise and to the point you may think.

Following several replies that covered a multitude of sins they wrote "The Labour so called polices destroyed the economy".

I replied "are you blaming the worldwide financial crisis on Labour? I always thought it was greedy bankers and their elite clients......"

The reply "No, I'm not"

Me: "I must have misunderstood "The Labour so called polices destroyed the economy" then."

Them: "that’s my personal opinion yes"

Going by what I gauge to be the average IQ on here, I think you will all be as confused as I am. Hopefully, other than engaging on FB in the first place, someone on here can solve my confusion..........

MA, in view of recent behaviours and strops from others I’ll preface my reply by stating that I fully respect your view and acknowledge the sense of what you say.

Obviously, imo, we disagree as to where the blame lies. Imo it lies squarely with David Cameron and those fervent Leavers who have sought to further their own political careers by taking Britain on what is, again imo, a dangerous and damaging path.

Attaching past blame - to Cameron in particular - however is ultimately of little use. The point is that we are where we are and we have to move forward out of the impasse.

With that in mind and given that it cannot really be argued that the electorate is now more aware and better informed as to the likely consequences what is so bad about a second referendum?

It surely satisfies the very reasonable request for a democratic solution, enables the electorate to take note of the lies they were undoubtedly told forty or so months ago and will result in a decision...whereas a General Election is only, I believe, going to result in a hung Parliament and further deadlock.

I apologise for the repetition, which seems to have so deeply offended Adi (sadly) and the the two Brexiteers (typically), but if the question remains unanswered and no end of politicking can find a way out of the grid lock, what is so bad about this possible and wholly democratic solution?

P.S. For the record and before any possible howls of anger from elsewhere.
    I am not a Corbynite.
    I do not hate all Tories. (Only the extreme right wing ones ; D)
    I don’t think everything in the EU garden is rosy.
    I do want what is best for the people of this country.
    I do believe that we will be safer and more prosperous as members of the EU and that we should use our voice to bring about change before we lose it altogether.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 17-09-2019 at 08:43 AM.

I think you have answered you own question. Ignore Facebook.

Whilst I cannot understand how 2008 can be blamed on Labour (save as to Gordon Brown mishandling the response: but who wouldn't), there is little doubt that Labour policies across the last 50 years or so have not been altogether "economy friendly",

I suppose you could also blame the existence of UK sub prime mortgages that played a small part in 2008 (which was essentially an international malaise) on aspirational labour policies suckering in those who could not afford to service their debt: but its pretty tenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post

The person in question posted a meme "Look the public voted Brexit, The end". Concise and to the point you may think.

Following several replies that covered a multitude of sins they wrote "The Labour so called polices destroyed the economy".

I replied "are you blaming the worldwide financial crisis on Labour? I always thought it was greedy bankers and their elite clients......"

The reply "No, I'm not"

Me: "I must have misunderstood "The Labour so called polices destroyed the economy" then."

Going by what I gauge to be the average IQ on here, I think you will all be as confused as I am. Hopefully, other than engaging on FB in the first place, someone on here can solve my confusion..........
    I posted that post on an FB thread. It got one like, one LOL and a response from a bloke calling me a Remoaner and telling me that if I like Europe that much I should "f*ck off there". When I informed him I had been over here since '84 the response was stay there then.................. His full response was "What a load of remoaner tosh
    Highest employment for over a decade
    Our gdp higher then Germany or France
    We would loose 800000 jobs in 1st week of the result
    By the chancellor & Bank of England
    The list goes on
    Don’t like the result then **** off to Europe you love so much & let the majority of British people get on with it
    Bye bye lol"

Typical Brexiteer response or just more proof that chappie is a neanderthal............. or both

you should not be speaking to Swale on FB, that's his other face being shown :-)

The reply "No, I'm not"

MA of course they are going to think Labour caused the crash . The Sun kept telling them that Lehman brothers had nothing to with it ,was all Gordan Brown's fault

I posted that post on an FB thread. It got one like, one LOL and a response from a bloke calling me a Remoaner and telling me that if I like Europe that much I should "f*ck off there". When I informed him I had been over here since '84 the response was stay there then.................. His full response was "What a load of remoaner tosh
    Highest employment for over a decade
    Our gdp higher then Germany or France
    We would loose 800000 jobs in 1st week of the result
    By the chancellor & Bank of England
    The list goes on
    Don’t like the result then **** off to Europe you love so much & let the majority of British people get on with it
    Bye bye lol"

Typical Brexiteer response or just more proof that chappie is a neanderthal............. or both
    Yes probably on the dole so not bothered about losing his job

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I think you have answered you own question. Ignore Facebook.

Whilst I cannot understand how 2008 can be blamed on Labour (save as to Gordon Brown mishandling the response: but who wouldn't), there is little doubt that Labour policies across the last 50 years or so have not been altogether "economy friendly",

I suppose you could also blame the existence of UK sub prime mortgages that played a small part in 2008 (which was essentially an international malaise) on aspirational labour policies suckering in those who could not afford to service their debt: but its pretty tenuous.
    Hmm In 2,008 the real national debt was £884billion and the 2018 real national debt is £4.1 trillion or £78,000 for every family in the UK so this lot are even worse at economics

Page 548 of 922 FirstFirst ... 48448498538546547548549550558598648 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)