+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hideous eyesore (not Pents!)

Hideous eyesore (not Pents!)

Made a quick, unanticipated visit to Pompey yesterday and was smackgobbed by the new Americas Cup carbuncle at Point.

I knew about it, in fact a distant cousin works there - just yards from where our ancestors lived in the 19th century. But what a repulsive blot on that historic landscape! And that two-story speed-boat parking lot! And the grey railings! The Bridge Tavern looks incongruous dominated as it is by this monstrosity.

It's as though the City planners have been determined to outdo the Tricorn as one of the most unsympathetic anf ghastly buildings in Western Europe.

Even Madame Pompidou would find it hard to extol the beauties of this monstrosity!

As most on here seem to be ex-pats, here is the offending building - with the IOW car ferry and Bulc to give an impression of size:

Name:  bulc.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  51.7 KB

In total agreement my long lost mate. The Tory Council couldn't wait to get it through the planning stage incase Sir Ben and Co decided to go down the m27. Ainslie wanted it where it is for easy access to the Solent for both training and racing. I don't think Scumhampton was ever a goer, merely a threat to get it passed and built. No one else would have been given planning permission for it, certainly not with the haste it was given. I keep meaning to pop into the Bridge Tavern to see how they are doing hidden away as they are. Now tonight I read that Dippy Donna, the Council Leader who pushed and pushed for this monstrosity to go through, is wanting a Hovercraft service between West Quay and Southsea. Okay if you live near Southsea but for the love of me I can't see how she can justify her claim that it can cut m27 traffic by 20%. Anyways whatever I shall be in my glorified tin shed for the racing weekend, They won't miss me and I won't miss them. I do hope though that the weather is kinder to them than it was last year because the Friday and Sunday were diabolical.

Bring back the coal power station, I say!

Totally agree Lassie. I had a guided tour around it last February and was struck by how much unused space there was inside. It could have been half the size and still been fit for purpose. The architecture is totally incongruous, unsympathetic with the area. Got a feeling Brunel House wont be the only rotting, empty carbuncle in the area in a few years time.

I only have one thing to say........Oi!!!

Quote Originally Posted by b_u_l_c View Post
    I only have one thing to say........Oi!!!
    All is still well in the world......

Quote Originally Posted by pfclassof61 View Post
    All is still well in the world......
    Nice bottom there Lassie.

Quote Originally Posted by b_u_l_c View Post
    Nice bottom there Lassie.
    Well, I've been on the bike a lot which tones the glutes - and the lycra helps pull everything in.

Whatever floats yer boat, eh?

Would this be a good moment for some genuinely funny pictorial humour?

Over to you, Corky.....

He could always post a dit about a certain poster on here who turned left instead of right on Sunday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)