+ Visit Sheffield Wednesday FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New kit

Quote Originally Posted by aussieowl View Post
    I've said this from time to time on here but for me it's all about the football on the pitch & being a supporter of the team, even that is a bit misleading because it doesn't have to be good football...I want Wednesday to get promotion, otherwise what's the point, it's a competition & any fan would want their team to do the best it can but...if we never get back to the prem then that's ok too, I'll still be a Wednesday fan & feel the same feelings as I do now win lose or draw.

The happiest I've ever been following the Owls was when we were at our worst on the pitch, the so called dark days of the seventies were just brilliant from my point of view traveling all over England without a care or responsibility in the world, outside of immediate family & friends SWFC were the only thing in my life for quite a while, I'm not a glory hunter(just as well really)I just love the 'being a fan' aspect of it all...all this modern day stuff where every aspect of club business is rammed down your throat on a daily basis is ok I guess but only in small doses for me...I hate close season, can't wait for the football to start.

That's all well and good aussie and I understand what you're saying. However, that doesn't mean we can't, and shouldn't, cast a critical eye over how the game is run, and how it's changed. You especially as a supporter trying to win promotion to the Premiership (although I think you've blow your chance in all honesty).

The whole appeal of the league structure is that a club like Wimbledon can rise to the top - and Leicester winning the league last season did capture that spirit. But the sheer amount of money at the top now, and the parachute system, is a genuine threat to what makes our league system so great - having such financial disparity between the leagues isn't healthy.

I was watching a question and answer video with the new Chelsea manager the other day, all the questions were from Chelsea's 'global fanbase' - foreign owned, foreign squad, foreign managed, global fanbase - where's the Chelsea that I remember as a kid? At a time when we're celebrating our WC win 50 years ago, it seems more apt than ever to be questioning our game and the changed ethos behind it. Bournemouth are now richer than Benfica and Inter ffs!

Quote Originally Posted by Katchouro View Post

where's the Chelsea that I remember as a kid?

The only thing left of them & a few other clubs of similar ilk is sat on the terraces, the last link to the good old days as we know them are the 40 something to 90 something year olds who are lucky enough to be still able to afford a match ticket, when they have shuffled off the mortal coil then we'll have a conglomerate of international clubs & leagues telling everyone what a great game it still is with Wycombe Wanderers winning the Premiership year after year because some multi trillionaire from Malaysia happens to like dark blue/sky blue quartered shirts...fk me I am so grateful to have witnessed what will no doubt have been the best period of English football that ever existed, proper clubs, proper football, proper players & proper fans, watching a game at three o'clock on a Saturday afternoon where anybody who wanted to go could afford it.....good god, I still love the actual 90 minutes but everything else is just not the same.

Last edited by Moore123; 22-08-2016 at 09:13 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)