+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motherwell lose Betfred opener

Motherwell lose Betfred opener

Sounds like the old tale of paying the price for missed chances.

http://www.motherwell-mad.co.uk/rprt...40/index.shtml

Simply not good enough and even more worrying to hear McGhee say afterwards that he wasn't to disheartened and we don't have any money to recruit further and that we are aiming to stay up this season.

We started well but if you don't chances that counts for nothing and we fell away badly again as the game wore on and it was inevitable that we'd concede.

A bleak season looms I fear.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    Simply not good enough and even more worrying to hear McGhee say afterwards that he wasn't to disheartened and we don't have any money to recruit further and that we are aiming to stay up this season.

We started well but if you don't chances that counts for nothing and we fell away badly again as the game wore on and it was inevitable that we'd concede.

I didnt hear his interview but if thats what he said he just backs up my biggest bitching point about the entire Scottish game. We never achieve cos just about everybody in the media and those running the game set the expectation and standard so low. Get your excuses in before a ball is kicked then the players know its alright to fail. Its a cancer in the Scottish mentality.

Already our players know 10th is acceptable. Compare the attitude that surrounds Scottish players and officials to that of the Icelandic manager. Not once did I hear him get his excuses in before a ball was kicked.

I went today against my better judgement and saw exactly what I expected. Johnston utter garbage, Answorth not worth the time of day, Hammel too old and slow, Chalmers utter dross, Cadden working his socks off and putting in a shift, Thomas being completely unable to release a ball. Got no surprises whatsoever today.

He interviewed on Radio Scotland after the game and even they remarked on how his words would hardly inspire any Motherwell players who would hear his comments.

If I'm honest, I generally believe that anything that comes out of McGhees mouth should be taken with the merest pinch of salt but sadly those 'views' seem to be shared by many within our club, in the board room and the stands so it's no shock to hear the manager come out with guff like that.

He interviewed on Radio Scotland after the game and even they remarked on how his words would hardly inspire any Motherwell players who would hear his comments.

If I'm honest, I generally believe that anything that comes out of McGhees mouth should be taken with the merest pinch of salt but sadly those 'views' seem to be shared by many within our club, in the board room and the stands so it's no shock to hear the manager come out with guff like that.

On what I saw today we are in deep trouble for the season ahead.We were at home and allowed a very average Rangers team dictate the game.We according to stats had 36% possession which is a disgrace,If we defended any further back,we should line up with eleven across the goal line.Heaven help us if Moult gets injured or suspended,as I can't see us scoring many goals without him.McGhee stated he should be judged on his team when he came in,well these players are now his team and if he thinks players like Chalmers and Ainsworth are worthy of a MOTHERWELL shirt the he is kidding the fans Iceland did not have any superstars or prima dona's but the played as a team and worked their socks off for each other something our players don't seem to want to do.Ainsworth in particular nearly broke into a walk,don't care if it upsets him or not but somebody needs to tell him what is required when playing for Motherwell.

Overall a poor performance today but the team line up and tactics certainly didn't help. We sat too deep and looked petrified of Rangers. While we created a good few chances, which we didn't take the defence gifted Rangers just too many opportunities. Had we taken the chances early on it might have been a different story. Both sets of defenders had woeful games. Clearly we need at least another central midfielder and thats a real priority.

As soon as the draw was made I thought our best chance of qualifying from the group would be as one of the 4 best runners up and now hopefully, thats how it will pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    Like 'Ground Hog Day' ... every year the same -ve posts and only ONE game into season !
    Give them time to gel, McGhee time to prepare his starting team and perhaps similar last season ... Top 6 finish. Accept will be players we think are phuds but what can we do ... bid for Pogba and Stone (?)
    Lower your expectation as NEVER win SPL, compete in transfer market and hope we compete acceptable level to avoid relegation. Otherwise only give yourself high blood pressure and/or hair loss

Can't say that I am as pessimistic as most posters. We made plenty of chances and obviously did not take them. Would have been more concerned if we were not making chances. No Lasley or fit Moult weakened the team.
    The 3 new starters all showed some talent in parts of the game and will improve once they settle in.
    Rangers will be a top 4 team and keep possession well, a lesson for us.
    Certainly need more cover in midfield which doesn't look as though it's coming. If Johnson leaves should be able to cover this.

Quote Originally Posted by wellwin View Post
    Can't say that I am as pessimistic as most posters. We made plenty of chances and obviously did not take them. Would have been more concerned if we were not making chances. No Lasley or fit Moult weakened the team.
    The 3 new starters all showed some talent in parts of the game and will improve once they settle in.
    Rangers will be a top 4 team and keep possession well, a lesson for us.
    Certainly need more cover in midfield which doesn't look as though it's coming. If Johnson leaves should be able to cover this.
    What concerns me is the amount of goals we are losing. The defence was garbage again yesterday add that to the crap displays the defence have shown pre season and it points to a rocky road. Our midfield is still very very weak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)