+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Let's talk gardening...

Let's talk gardening...

I know, sounds boring dunnit?

Anyhow, I've grown up of late what with a house and baby so I've become one of them blokes who wants to mow his lawn every Sunday.

Problem is, I got moss. And lots of it. The lawn is like a sponge. Returf is a pricey job and timely too. So are there any quick fixes? I've been told nitrate does a job but that's all they said. Hardly giving me instructions is it?

Quote Originally Posted by darblade View Post

Anyhow, I've grown up of late what with a house and baby so I've become one of them blokes who wants to mow his lawn every Sunday.

Problem is, I got moss. And lots of it. The lawn is like a sponge. Returf is a pricey job and timely too. So are there any quick fixes? I've been told nitrate does a job but that's all they said. Hardly giving me instructions is it?
    If you call in at Boots, bigger ones, not the little local ones, or any good Garden Centre and ask them for Sodium Fornacate, that will do the trick.

Much cheaper just to shag your missus on the mossy bits than buy that!

Quote Originally Posted by darblade View Post

Autumn treatment: Early Autumn: Apply autumn fertiliser and mosskiller. When moss has browned or blackened, scarify the lawn. Aerate with a garden fork or hollow tiner if necessary. If grass is sparse, lightly over-seed before applying the top-dressing, at a rate of 17-34g per sq m (½-1oz per sq yd) with new lawn seed.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=422

Hope this helps DAR
    If all else fails then a 1 kiloton nuke will do the trick....just saying like...

Get some mates in to help you gather it !....is the only way. As long as your mates don't include Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderblade View Post
    Get some mates in to help you gather it !....is the only way. As long as your mates don't include Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood.
    very good, Border

Lawn sand is what you need. Have to be careful with it spread it sparingly. Rake all the dead moss off when the lawn sands done its work and re seed before end of September. It looks a mess when you do it but it recovers well.

Scarify it with electric scarifier before applying chemical treatments. This avoids a large pools of embedded black moss after treatment. Alternatively turn it into a patio!

Whatever anyone suggests, don't try uphill gardening