When this thread started, I was on my way to Dorset with my wife, for a four-day break and I knew nothing about the tragic news until my return today. We had wondered about how Howard was because my wife knew him as well and knew of his current health problems. She met up with us for lunch at The Cricketers at Horsell on one occasion. On his next visit Howard and I lunched at The Anchor at Pyrford after visiting the site of H G Wells' Martian landings in The War of the Worlds.

Some may remember the thread 'FAO Tundra'. If you look at entry 5 on that thread, you will see that I start with "Difficult one this". The problem for me was that Howard had emailed me on 25th April explaining the detail of his problems and the likely treatment. He also asked me to keep it to myself. He emailed me on 12th June to say that his treatment was mostly complete and that when it was, the medical staff would re-assess the situation. I emailed him again on 5th July asking how he was, but I now know why I got no response.

I can only assume that the email address that Robus has is a different one as I had hoped that, if there was a problem, that someone would read his emails and react. For whatever reason, that didn't happen.

The tributes to Howard posted on here are so apt. A big kind, sincere, helpful, generous gentle giant of a man. I am well aware of the affection he had for not only WolvesMad posters, but his 'Baggie' friends and many from other sites.

I am absolutely shattered by this news and pass my sincere condolences on to Pat, his family and his friends

RIP big man. Every minute that I spent with you was a privilege for me!