+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stevenage v Crewe ****MATCH PREDICTIONS****

It's so good to be wrong!! I was optimistic after Bolton and then that all changed with the results that followed. However, today we've achieved something - we just need to feed the front two and occasionally we need a bit of improvised individualism (thank you Alex Kiwomya!) as opposed to pre-programmed automotons and it'll work. Will we now go on and smash all we meet. No. If we lose the next two games, does that mean we're National League bound? No. Let's take each game as it comes and try the little bouts of niggle and name calling. What we all want is a successful team - isn't it? So let's keep comments limited to each performance and try and avoid making it personal (including hobby-horses!).

Quote Originally Posted by Tidegoingout View Post
    Sounds as if it was a deserved win so let's enjoy it even if we have different views of its significance.
    Was that win 22 seasons ago the amazing 7-4 game against Barnet and the legendary Barry Fry?
    No,I think it was a win at York.

It was definitely 7-4 away at Barnet.

A decent game yesterday. Very pleased to see Guthrie selected at centre half. He and Davis played well. Great piece of individual skill by Kiwomya for the second goal (and he did well to set up Lowe). Still not sure about Bingham. Thought he was ok, but maybe the drop to League Two will be good for him. He's hardly played because of injury and is almost a new player. Disappointing that Stevenage scored right at the end as a clean sheet would have been the icing on the cake. Still, a Crewe win away from home and deserved too.

Forgot to add that, as one swallow does not make a summer, so this win at Stevenage does not mean that SD and Co have already been vindicated. Three years of abject performances etc cannot be erased by a win on the opening day of the season in a lower division. There is a long way to go and, whilst I am no SD fan, I am content to give him the benefit of the doubt for the first ten games. We will then have a clearer picture of how the season will pan out. Hopefully, there will be plenty to praise and to cheer.

Quote Originally Posted by Furberstreet View Post
    Forgot to add that, as one swallow does not make a summer, so this win at Stevenage does not mean that SD and Co have already been vindicated. Three years of abject performances etc cannot be erased by a win on the opening day of the season in a lower division. There is a long way to go and, whilst I am no SD fan, I am content to give him the benefit of the doubt for the first ten games. We will then have a clearer picture of how the season will pan out. Hopefully, there will be plenty to praise and to cheer.
    Like. Bring back the button.

Interesting post!
    No rejoicing a rare Crewe Alex victory.
    No praise for SD making what looks like a very promising signing in Alex Kiwomya.
    No praise for SD switching Guthrie to the position we all think is his best.
    No praise for SD for making Ryan Lowe, our most experienced player, as captain - and in so doing demoting his "favourite" player!!
    He even made 2 significant substitutions at a very good time in the match.
    Credit where credit is due.

But I'm like you, I prefer to dwell in the past.
    I've still not forgiven that kid at school for nicking my girlfriend ...........35 years ago!!

It was definitely 7-4 away at Barnet.
    That was in 1991 mate, our last opening day away victory was 1994. It was a 2-1 victory at York.
    Last edited by Stealex; 08-08-2016 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe View Post
    Interesting post!
    No rejoicing a rare Crewe Alex victory.
    No praise for SD making what looks like a very promising signing in Alex Kiwomya.
    No praise for SD switching Guthrie to the position we all think is his best.
    No praise for SD for making Ryan Lowe, our most experienced player, as captain - and in so doing demoting his "favourite" player!!
    He even made 2 significant substitutions at a very good time in the match.
    Credit where credit is due.

But I'm like you, I prefer to dwell in the past.
    I've still not forgiven that kid at school for nicking my girlfriend ...........35 years ago!!
    Was she a ManU fan?

I agree that giving RL the captaincy was a great move. As was the subs that changed the game. Winning breeds confidence and so its good to get that result.

Jokes aside, can we keep it at comments about matches and relative success and failure. Let's not just repeat same old same old arguments. We need to encourage to people to offer their alex-related ideas and opinions as the site is almost moribund. Let's have some stimulating discussion- discuss tactics, prospects, future fixtures etc and keep the yah-boo-to-you comments out.
    It's football, yeah? and we're all fans of that....aren't we?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast