+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Motherwell open the new season with a win in Kilmarnock

Motherwell open the new season with a win in Kilmarnock

A hard fought and deserved win at Rugby Park gave Motherwell a opening three points to the new season. Goals from Ainsworth and Johnson set up the victory although a late concession caused some concern. - External Link

Six minutes added time. Its many a year since I've heard of that in one of our games.

The injuries to Samson and McHugh provided lengthy stoppages so the six minutes was probably about right in the end.

A great three points to start the season and thoroughly deserved into the bargain. It really should have been far more comfortable but Ainsworth's miss and the obligatory late goal conceded made it far more nervy than it should have been but we got there in the end. Two very good goals and an overall control of the match was very encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    The injuries to Samson and McHugh provided lengthy stoppages so the six minutes was probably about right in the end.

A great three points to start the season and thoroughly deserved into the bargain. It really should have been far more comfortable but Ainsworth's miss and the obligatory late goal conceded made it far more nervy than it should have been but we got there in the end. Two very good goals and an overall control of the match was very encouraging.
    Yeah was a good solid performance for 75 mins. Then we took the scary pills. I just cant understand why its so difficult for players to understand in the last tens mins just booting the ball the way you are facing wont work. Was quite surprised walking behind two Killie fans on the way out saying they are getting better, they must have been really really bad cos I thought they looked like utter dross today.

Cadden just gets stronger every time you see him. His ability holiday players off is very impressive. A good day all round.

Kilmarnock were horrific on today's evidence. That and with their manager's antics early doors would suggest serious issues on and off the park for them.

We well and truly scuttled them today and as I said, only our usual late panic button push gave that scoreline a much closer look than it merited.

Great win, hard to complain even if we had a few nerves at the end.

Killie's League Cup form showed they're currently dross mind you and the pitch-size debacle from Clark suggests he's already getting desperate. You can only beat who is in front of you though but we won on opening day last year and look how that turned out :-)

Yes. Good win today and it should have been a little more comfortable for us towards the end. All on all a decent performance. It's always good to get off to a winning start.

Happy enough with the performance, more than happy with the 3 points. As for Killie ... oh dearie me.

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    Happy enough with the performance, more than happy with the 3 points. As for Killie ... oh dearie me.
    One week later - "As for Killie ... oh dearie me."

Let's worry about our own team without making disparaging comments one game into a season about a team equal on points and goal difference to our own team after 2 games and whose new young striker scored a winner of some style on Saturday.

Oh dearie me, indeed!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)