+ Visit Southampton FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Holiday Ideas

Holiday Ideas

So, not been in the UK a lot over the last 18 years but here for a few more weeks yet with the wife and kids and wanting to take them to see some places. Done the obvious London day, but wondered if 9 and 10 year old kids would get any joy out of Cheddar Gorge, Lands End, St Ives etc. Anyone got any must sees for kids? Where does one book over night stays these days also?

I have been living in Plymouth for a few years and there are some decent places all over Devon and Cornwall.

Plenty of hotels in Plymouth to use as a base and the Aquarium here isn't too shabby.

Torquay/Paignton just down the road which has a decent zoo and beach and Cornwall obviously has some of the best beaches in the country, just get to the coast and there will be a decent one.

The Eden Project is worth a shout and there are a few theme type places, I took the kids to Flambards recently and they loved it.

I personally think Lands End is sh*t, too many Emmets and not much to see.

Looe is good, retained it's charm and easy to spend a family day there, Padstow also is great for beaches.

So quite a bit really the only downfall is traffic and tourists, plus the seagulls are f*cking kamikaze.

Also decent B&B's around for the smaller towns/villages.

Kernow will probably know some hidden treasures?

Legoland is supposed to be good but double dear though.

Normally use bookings.com or hotels.com tbf.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockthecasbah View Post
    I have been living in Plymouth for a few years and there are some decent places all over Devon and Cornwall.

Plenty of hotels in Plymouth to use as a base and the Aquarium here isn't too shabby.

Torquay/Paignton just down the road which has a decent zoo and beach and Cornwall obviously has some of the best beaches in the country, just get to the coast and there will be a decent one.

The Eden Project is worth a shout and there are a few theme type places, I took the kids to Flambards recently and they loved it.

I personally think Lands End is sh*t, too many Emmets and not much to see.

Looe is good, retained it's charm and easy to spend a family day there, Padstow also is great for beaches.

So quite a bit really the only downfall is traffic and tourists, plus the seagulls are f*cking kamikaze.

Also decent B&B's around for the smaller towns/villages.

Kernow will probably know some hidden treasures?
    Keeping kids entertained is easy when the sun shines. Any of the aforementioned places are good. You could take them Go Karting at Menheniot near Liskeard, or Dairyland or The Shire Horse Centre.

All good stuff gents, thanks. I was indeed thinking is Devon and Cornwall for a few days but my god, even the static caravan sites cost a fortune at this time of year. John Fowler 2 bed apartment, 259 quid for 3 nights.....yeeeooooww! Mind you, I guess that is probably cheap, i just cannot stop comparing to Thailand prices. I could buy a house for that.

I can also recommend the Shire Horse Centre if you're heading that way. We holidayed in Cornwall several times when my two were younger and we stumbled across the Shire Horse Centre pretty much by accident, they loved it, we used to spend most of the day there.

Horses? Me? A Saint?

Well, I did Cornwall with just the wife....a romantic sort of 3 nights just to keep the wolf from the door.

Going to Sicily for the first time on Sunday, anyone on here been?

Was given a Scillian red as s birthday gift once, wished they'd given it to someone else tbf.

What out for wiseguys..