+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Queens Players' Milestones

Queens Players' Milestones

I'm wondering if the club's players receive appearances mementos for only matches started or whether they include appearances from the substitutes bench as well.

Derek Lyle appears to have been given an award last season marking 200 starts and now one for 300 appearances to include appearances from the bench.

Funny you should mention this as I asked Mr Lithgow the very same question after the game yesterday but he just walked away. I worked for the club as a programme volunteer for 14 years and presentations were always made for STARTS only in deference to the likes of Jim Patterson and Roy Henderson etc as there were no substitutes in their playing days. It needs sorting out as in a few weeks time you could have Higgins getting a presentation for 200 starts after starting another 5 games or getting a presentation after only 2 games if you count his appearances off the bench.

This is certainly a strange one. Hopefully someone from the club will clarify things.

I don't think sub outings should count in regard to players receiving milestone appearance awards . No, not at all .

Whilst I largely agree JR it's a bit of a grey area. A player could make an appearance from the subs bench after only a couple of minutes into the game but its not counted in his favour whilst the player he replaces can add that brief appearance to his total. It would be interesting to know if the governing body issue guidelines on this matter.

I know what you mean about the grey area and of course the scenario you mention is possible . However, a sub is more likely to get his second half twenty odd mins ( on average) if introduced in a game

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    I know what you mean about the grey area and of course the scenario you mention is possible . However, a sub is more likely to get his second half twenty odd mins ( on average) if introduced in a game
    A few seconds research revealed the following: 1) Owen Hargreaves won international caps for England by coming off the bench during 14 consecutive games playing an average of 18 minutes and 17 seconds per game; and 2) Carlton Cole won 7 international caps without making a start for England and playing an average of 17.17 minutes per game. If making an appearance for less than 20 minutes is enough to earn an international cap then surely an appearance as a substitute must count towards the number of appearances a player makes for Queens.

The original point was Del got a presentation last season for 200 starts which Queens have recognised for years but on Saturday he gets another one for 300 appearances - 232 starts and 68 times a substitute ! why and who have changed the goalposts after all
    these years ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    The original point was Del got a presentation last season for 200 starts which Queens have recognised for years but on Saturday he gets another one for 300 appearances - 232 starts and 68 times a substitute ! why and who have changed the goalposts after all
    these years ?
    Appears to be conflicting with these two awards for Del. Should be one or another.

A very valid point by Cresswell..... I think coming off the bench should count as an appearance.... eg when Dobbie came off the bench at Morton and scored a hat=trick, are you saying that doesn't count as an "appearance"?....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)