+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollands -should he push Jones out?

Hollands -should he push Jones out?

Just thought I'd throw that one into the mix. Anyone who saw the game on Tuesday want to comment?
    Does playing Hollands necessarily mean that Jones doesn't play. If not, who would he replace then? Would it mean a change of formation? Do we need to strengthen anywhere else?

Just a selection of alex/football related questions to open up a bit of non (anti) social media discussion for those who would like to indulge.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Just thought I'd throw that one into the mix. Anyone who saw the game on Tuesday want to comment?
    Does playing Hollands necessarily mean that Jones doesn't play. If not, who would he replace then? Would it mean a change of formation? Do we need to strengthen anywhere else?

Just a selection of alex/football related questions to open up a bit of non (anti) social media discussion for those who would like to indulge.
    Another tough one, I certainly don't think that he has been brought here to sit on the bench. It could work out quite nicely, did it influence Billy B the other night to up his game?

Quote Originally Posted by Me For Crewe View Post
    Another tough one, I certainly don't think that he has been brought here to sit on the bench. It could work out quite nicely, did it influence Billy B the other night to up his game?
    I'd play Jones on the right of mid and BB and DH in middle, AK the other side

I agree with Proggs. I think Hollands has been brought in to strengthen the midfield (which in my opinion is very necessary), not simply replace. Jones had a pretty poor season last year/season and we can't afford to see these lads losing form again.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLeicester View Post
    Jones had a pretty poor season last year/season and we can't afford to see these lads losing form again.
    I would suggest that Jones started off well last season when he became fit after his pre season op. But his form suffered because he was a youngster trying to carry a very poor side. It is interesting that we have brought in 4 players who all look good and one is inclined to wonder if we had had 3 of those players for the whole of last season would we have managed to stave off relegation!

I agree with Proggs too. We do need to tighten up in midfield, not least to protect a defence which has not been changed from the end of last season with the notable exception of Guthrie rightly playing as a CH and Ray warming the bench.

Particularly when Smith returns from Newcastle, there's good competition for places if they stick with 4-4-2. In those circumstances, may the best two keep their places; also, it's insurance against injuries. It also offers the option of going to 4-3-3. That's an alternative to going three at the back to try to protect a lead, which, on the evidence so far, doesn't work!
    Last year the pre-season was all about 4-3-3, but Jones, then Bingham, then Fox all had injuries forcing them out for a couple of months each, which is maybe part of the reason for everything going wrong. This year it's all 4-4-2, and the players seem to be warming to it, even if the losing of leads has tempered our own enthusiasm. We have four young lads, with a mixture of tricks and pace, battling for two wide places. It's a good system for that reason alone, but it can put an onus on the middle two. Hollands might play keep-ball better than Jones and Bingham, but he's not going to get forward very much - if my Pompey spies (it's in the family) are correct; he just won't have the legs. If they were to play one of the central midfielders wide, then it might offer more solidity, but, at a stroke, you're telling the four skilful/pacey lads: "you're battling for one place".

It's possible that Hollands will sit front of the back 4, with Jones & Bingham just in front, Kiwomya & Cooper high up the pitch supporting Lowe or Dagnall. Can't see SD dropping either of those front two though if I'm honest.

Where does Ainley fit into this team with so much competition? I rate him & think he could be a very decent player.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Crew View Post
    It's possible that Hollands will sit front of the back 4, with Jones & Bingham just in front, Kiwomya & Cooper high up the pitch supporting Lowe or Dagnall. Can't see SD dropping either of those front two though if I'm honest.

Where does Ainley fit into this team with so much competition? I rate him & think he could be a very decent player.

On today's evidence, Hollands should never have been ahead of Cooper (who was replaced after 35 mins!!), or Jones (who replaced Cooper).
    He was so off the pace it was unreal.
    The only plus point - he knew it was his fault for the second.

As for Ainley, looked bright (not difficult today) when he came on.
    For me, it's our players over anyone else's any day, because that's what we are about.
    Experienced or not, and I hear Newport was no better, Hollands ain't up to it!!

You can also include Blackburn. Very, very poor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast