+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cloughie's Comments

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    He did come across well, much better than was often the case at Derby, but it is easier to be interviewed and talk positively when you're on the up and speaking from a position of strength. I wish Burton well but I'll be surprised if he's speaking quite as confidently in six months time.
    I think thats what the majority of fans think this season Anag, about Clough & Burton.
    Even if fans dont want to admit it, they are looked at as relegation favourites and to be honest so are my team!
    Burton are playing their first ever season at this level, like Milton Keynes were last season, and immediate relegation has to be on the cards. The difference there is we/my team have played more seasons at this level than any other club, so fingers crossed eh

He accepted that burton's aim is survival and said derby would be at the top.

Its clear from how Burton played that Clough has learnt a thing or two over the past few years since being at Derby, a more positive tactical approach for a start, though I he still makes a sub at a corner to bring a defender on for 30 secs!!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Its clear from how Burton played that Clough has learnt a thing or two over the past few years since being at Derby, a more positive tactical approach for a start, though I he still makes a sub at a corner to bring a defender on for 30 secs!!
    ...which Barker duly headed clear. Bringing a 6ft 2in defender on in the last minute to defend a corner when you have a 1-0 lead. Would you have brought on a diminutive striker Swales, or a tricky winger to dribble it to safety.

Basically Ella, I was taught never to make a substitution at a corner unless one has to , it disrupts the marking plan and the new player hasn't time to get their bearings and making a tactical substitution less than 5 minutes before the end of normal time is pointless for the same reason.

Yes it may have worked on that occasion, I can think of more when its not ended well. But that apart, Clough had a game plan and got the players playing to it which worked.

Kali Sera Guys!
    I've been partying out in the Greek Islands for a couple of weeks so have missed the latest instalments in the Nigel Pearson Master Class of how to turn a very good side into a clueless one. So...things are yet to click in the transformation into NP's 4-1-3-3-2-1-1-1 Dept with Nick Blackman yet to show potential, I guess.

I read Nigel Clough's comments. I don't want to go into detail but I would say it's game, set and match to Clough Jnr. He has made Derby County look like amateurs and I applaud. He's not the type to gloat. He was asked for comments before the game and he gave them. He alone built the firm foundations which are now slowly and surely being de-constructed by Messers Pearson et al....while Mr Morris sees his mountain of cash start to dribble away. It would seem that NP's revolution is all about stubbornly sticking to things even when they don't work and players are demoralised and bewildered then getting rid of the players and spending stupid money on the likes of Vydra, and others who have had half a season of experience. It's called the Fawaz...

Just give NP time and he'll really undo everything properly...then get cross with journalists who ask pertinent questions like "why isn't the team winning" and "do you really know what youre doing?".

Just my views based on the dross I've watched thus far....if it changes I'll be the first to say "Hey! I was so wrong..." which I hope I am .
    Last edited by ellafella; 29-08-2016 at 08:50 AM. Reason: I'm bored and it's a wet bank holiday

Good answer Swales...when it works it works...but it can go wrong.

Strange that after 2 weeks in Greece and posting at 9:45 am you didnt realise the appropriate salutation at this time of the day is Kalimera, not Kali Sera (sic) nor even Kalispera which is good afternoon / evening. 😁😁

Otherwise fair assessment of the current parlous, disintegrating state of our beloved Club Ellie

Is it not possible that Clough was being a bit mischievous bringing Barker on for the last minute or so? We'd been well beaten, in terms of attitude at least, all evening by a side including two Derby cast offs in Naylor and Brayford. Perhaps by bringing SB on he was a) giving Barker his moment in the 'limelight' and b) just reminding Derby folk of the relative quality of some of his signings. Tbh I don't think we've had better full backs at the club since Brayford and Moxey but his handling of the latter might also remind us of his achilles heel...often good at spotting players but equally poor at the man management of some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Strange that after 2 weeks in Greece and posting at 9:45 am you didnt realise the appropriate salutation at this time of the day is Kalimera, not Kali Sera (sic) nor even Kalispera which is good afternoon / evening. 😁😁

Otherwise fair assessment of the current parlous, disintegrating state of our beloved Club Ellie
    Ohh! that made me laugh out loud Roger! Good to see that your "watching paint dry" skills have not shown any signs of diminishing...you are quite correct. Truth is day, morning, afternoon, evening and night all seemed to merge into one Roger..

Meanwhile, it gives me assurance that I'm not becoming a doom merchant when I see that your views concur with mine on the state of the NP footballing revolution that is unravelling at the iPro.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)