+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Bad Would Relegation Be?

Just be clear, I'm not advocating a return to League 1.

Just asking if a successful campaign in L1 next season would be more enjoyable than a seasons struggle in the Championship.

I've already said I'd rather us compete at this level.

I just don't think we will!!

Good topic Riley

Have to say my wife and I travelled to Plymouth by train when we got promoted from L2. It was a great day and I think there would be say 150 Millers fans that day. We won and were so excited at the prospect of promotion. But it was a bloody long day.

Then, next season and on to the Play Offs v PNE when we got to Wembley. Fantastic atmosphere at the NYS all season really so winning does give us fans that feeling of wellbeing. Then Wembley itself – the greatest day in our lives for me and my wife. Immensely excited, immensely proud and the prospect of Championship footy with that team of never say die players, just could not wait.

Then the Championship. We lost our players and lost our mojo some might say. Been nothing but a struggle with very few wins, good hidings every now and again and the season end elation when we achieve missing the trap door back to L1.
    For me, the Championship is absolutely supreme. I love visiting the mainly first class stadiums, the much bigger crowds and boy do we as away fans put up a fair shout – until we fall behind at least. The quality in the Championship is far removed from L1 and L2, a different world. I have the chance to see our lads against £12 - £15 million pound players and teams approaching £100million in value. For me, I want our lads to pull that shirt on, be very proud to wear it and watch them get stuck in until such time as they are almost feeling sick because they are that knackered.

Not sure we’ve seen that this season but hopefully it will come.

I know and I have always known that the Millers can’t really compete at this level and I hope (in vain) that TS will get a joint investor in at some stage so that the miracle can happen. I doubt it will ever happen. I watched the Millers when we had 17 consecutive seasons in the then second division but I can’t remember that division ever being gifted with as many top clubs as the Championship possesses now. Money has talked and will continue to do so. Would love a little more so that we could afford the wages of a Gerry Gow for example or a Bob Delgado. We need a Mr Nasty to help us compete properly imo. We are way to nice and will be footballed off the field until we start to tackle hard. Maybe Stubbs can introduce this concept.

I like winning, who doesn’t? Never understood people saying they were happy to come second or third and glad to have taken part. Not for me, I hate getting beat but I hate getting beat when I think players haven’t put a shift in. Put a shift in and you’ll do for me.

So I suppose I might enjoy games in L1 more. Something tells me I won’t.

I prefer to battle the big boys and I love the big upset.

Championship all day long and every day for me.

Who could ever forget the League 1 promotion season and all that it entailed?
    Brilliant team spirit, thrills and spills, last minute winners and then Wembley to cap it all off. Brilliant times!
    BUT the purpose of it all was to earn the right to play at the next level and for the team to compete against the big boys.
    So please let's not throw it all away now, or even think that it may be better to go down and try to come straight back up. What would be the point of that and fairy tales rarely come true anyway.
    The Championship is the place to be and the board and manager have to do everything in their powers to keep us there.

Just how long do you think you guys can avoid the hang man's noose whilst operating under your present plan ? can you also name me 3 clubs you can finish above this season as the 3 promoted sides seem in better shape at present to compete at this level and all but Burton Albion also appear to have more resources .

I'm not here to put the knife in but it seems the majority of millers are living in hope rather than facing reality , who could be sold for 3 or 4 million in January allowing the manager to bring in 3 or 4 players that can make you more competitive ?

Can the owner re-finance the club and provide those funds if nobody can be sold ?

Reactive not proactive won't get 51 points on the board , this is the toughest championship of all time and I've never seen so many clubs spending so much money .

The 3 clubs who you think you can finish above would be ?

I can't think of 3 at the moment but it's a bit too early to worry about that yet.
    If we can make NYS a fortress, as the saying goes, we will have a fighting chance.
    We're going to need a striker or two though!

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Just how long do you think you guys can avoid the hang man's noose whilst operating under your present plan ? can you also name me 3 clubs you can finish above this season as the 3 promoted sides seem in better shape at present to compete at this level and all but Burton Albion also appear to have more resources .

I'm not here to put the knife in but it seems the majority of millers are living in hope rather than facing reality , who could be sold for 3 or 4 million in January allowing the manager to bring in 3 or 4 players that can make you more competitive ?

Can the owner re-finance the club and provide those funds if nobody can be sold ?

Reactive not proactive won't get 51 points on the board , this is the toughest championship of all time and I've never seen so many clubs spending so much money .

The 3 clubs who you think you can finish above would be ?
    The three 'B's....Burton, Blackburn, Barnsley, also not sticking the knife in, but it's a long old season in this division, you and Burton have had a very good start and well done, but 5 games in is too early to get carried away, and that applies to the doom monging Millers fans as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by millmoormagic View Post
    The three 'B's....Burton, Blackburn, Barnsley, also not sticking the knife in, but it's a long old season in this division, you and Burton have had a very good start and well done, but 5 games in is too early to get carried away, and that applies to the doom monging Millers fans as well!!

I'm not getting carried away far from it and I am the glass half empty type of supporter , despite our solid start I'll take 4th bottom right now if it was offered .

We've got a good plan but it ain't perfect , dropped a bollox spending 650k on Moncur who we've just loaned out to a Posh , 3 or 4 of those and we are in hot water too .

Again, history shows us that in the end the power of the cheque book will always win out. You can buck the trend for a while (I would say punch above your weight by that would upset Monty) but eventually if you don't have the money you will struggle. Take a look at the leagues and in general, those that have/spend the money win out over those that don't. Without spending we can't keep pulling rabbits out of the hat forever so I can see the frustration of fans who are contemplating a perpetual struggle and want TS to either spend the money (it's his prerogative as it's his money) or bring others on board who will. However, you have to be careful what you ask for as we could end up being renamed The NY Knickerbockers and playing in blue and white stripes.

PS I wonder where our fans are who were wailing woe is me when we didn't sign Moncur?

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Again, history shows us that in the end the power of the cheque book will always win out. You can buck the trend for a while (I would say punch above your weight by that would upset Monty) but eventually if you don't have the money you will struggle. Take a look at the leagues and in general, those that have/spend the money win out over those that don't. Without spending we can't keep pulling rabbits out of the hat forever so I can see the frustration of fans who are contemplating a perpetual struggle and want TS to either spend the money (it's his prerogative as it's his money) or bring others on board who will. However, you have to be careful what you ask for as we could end up being renamed The NY Knickerbockers and playing in blue and white stripes.

PS I wonder where our fans are who were wailing woe is me when we didn't sign Moncur?

Not sure about his ability Miller he's not started a game yet , Moncur and his dad knocked on Hecky's door and demanded a starting spot , Hecky told him he can't guarantee anyone a shirt so sent him out on loan , 5 games in and he's kicking off .

The kids not for us and clearly made of the wrong stuff , Marc Roberts and Josh Scowen spent weeks on the bench last season but fought their way back in and are now the first names on the team sheet .

As I say the plans fine right now but it ain't flawless .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post

Well if you divide 51 points by 46 games and then multiply by 5 games played you will find that to be on target we should have 5.54 points, so I would argue that we are only 1.5 behind. Bearing in mind we have played 2 of the strongest teams away I'm not grumbling

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast