+ Visit Sheffield Wednesday FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "not for me to say where to play Wayne Rooney"

He's a good working class lad, just one that happens to have an extraordinary job and earn an obscene amount of money.

He's never shirked England though and never hid, big respect for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchouro View Post
    He's a good working class lad, just one that happens to have an extraordinary job and earn an obscene amount of money.

He's never shirked England though and never hid, big respect for that.
    He's made a few daft decisions in his time but who hasn't.

I think a lot of fans, myself included fell out with him for his outburst against the supporters at the World Cup in South Africa but he was probably just as frustrated as the rest of us and lashed out in the heat of the moment.

Of course there are plenty that have never wanted to see him in an England shirt purely because he plays for ManUre. As much as I like to see Man Utd struggle (relatively speaking) I have nothing against any of their players playing for England.

He lost his head after the Algeria game, he apologised straight away if I remember right - by the stories that have come out since, that was a really miserable and fractious squad Capello had. Not suprising he behaved like he did after being abused by the crowd following 90 minutes of chasing fruitless long balls. In retrospect as well, that Algeria side had some really good players.

I see Man U lost at Feyenoord tonight with Martial and Rashford up top. That will put a dampner on Mourinho trying to turn the fans against him.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchouro View Post
    He lost his head after the Algeria game, he apologised straight away if I remember right - by the stories that have come out since, that was a really miserable and fractious squad Capello had. Not suprising he behaved like he did after being abused by the crowd following 90 minutes of chasing fruitless long balls. In retrospect as well, that Algeria side had some really good players.

I see Man U lost at Feyenoord tonight with Martial and Rashford up top. That will put a dampner on Mourinho trying to turn the fans against him.

They certainly looked better without him yesterday, though Leicester's defending pretty much handed them the result on a plate. Rooney at his best was all about power and drive. He has to adapt his game now but I don't think he is good enough to play a midfield role for a top 4 team. I think he could still do a job as part of a front 2 and could play off Zlatan but Mourinho won't play that shape.

Well it's certainly not for Big Sam to say where Rooney plays now ffs...what a mug, he reckoned that England manager was his dream job, so what's he do when he lands it, treats it with such disrespect he has to quit after one game...you know what, I don't even think England need a manager/coach, let a selection committee pick a squad/final eleven & let the players decide amongst themselves how to play, couldn't possibly be any worse could it.

Quote Originally Posted by aussieowl View Post
    Well it's certainly not for Big Sam to say where Rooney plays now ffs...what a mug, he reckoned that England manager was his dream job, so what's he do when he lands it, treats it with such disrespect he has to quit after one game...you know what, I don't even think England need a manager/coach, let a selection committee pick a squad/final eleven & let the players decide amongst themselves how to play, couldn't possibly be any worse could it.
    Mug is a pretty accurate description. I've seen reports today stating his agent advised him against a 2nd meeting as he thought they were suspect. When even your agent says something looks too dodgy but you go ahead anyway then you only have yourself to blame.
    Greed is not good.

I've never really disliked Rooney, I just think he's been a bit of a knob, however, I watched a documentary about him last week on MUTV, he came across really well which made me soften towards him, since he's had kids he seems more level headed, I guess he's grown up now.
    Rooney's about as world class as my aunt fanny.......Captain by default, with no leadership qualities. ...Unable to take a game by the scruff of the neck, ala Gascoigne. A true world class player...Scored all his goals against nobodies....Failed at every major tournament. ..Unable to deliver when it matters....But hey' lets keep biggin'him up...Be saying the same thing when he's 40......Do what you've always done...Get what you've always got......And it seems that Southgate is yet another, to 'Bottle it.' Dyer/Drinkwater are ready made Ball playing midfielders. .Rooney shouldn't see the light of day....But 'NO'. We have to crowbar him in.....Its the England way.

Other than Graham Turner has there ever been a more stupid comment from an England manager.

What's the point of Allardyce being there then...does that go for all the players?, do they manage themselves now?...I could understand if maybe he said he'd given Rooney a free role, at least that way he's issued instruction.

The other thing, saying he'd be happy with a draw BEFORE the game even kicks off...kinell I can see where this England set up is going...nowhere, just like every other set up since God was a lad.
    On a par with Southgate's "We know that Malta are a threat from set pieces."

Quote Originally Posted by micklyons1hardbstd View Post
    Rooney's about as world class as my aunt fanny.......Captain by default, with no leadership qualities. ...Unable to take a game by the scruff of the neck, ala Gascoigne. A true world class player...Scored all his goals against nobodies....Failed at every major tournament. ..Unable to deliver when it matters....But hey' lets keep biggin'him up...Be saying the same thing when he's 40......Do what you've always done...Get what you've always got......And it seems that Southgate is yet another, to 'Bottle it.' Dyer/Drinkwater are ready made Ball playing midfielders. .Rooney shouldn't see the light of day....But 'NO'. We have to crowbar him in.....Its the England way.
    Bit harsh that. He is not world class by any means and he is certainly past his best but he has always given his all and has never cried off from playing for his country. Unfortunately for whatever reason, since 2004 he has failed to find any form in international tournaments. In qualifying he has been as good as anyone and you can't knock his goals record. Yes he has scored a fair few against inferior nations but he has continued to do so in a national team that has gone backwards in the last decade.

I had hoped that we would be fresher and quicker without him in the team yesterday but sadly there was little difference and we probably deserved to lose.
    Every manager since Sven has failed to get anything remotely worth watching out of the national side on a regular basis, the fact is we are a long way behind many nations both in both technical and tactical ability.

Quote Originally Posted by hirstyboywonder View Post
    Bit harsh that. He is not world class by any means and he is certainly past his best but he has always given his all and has never cried off from playing for his country. Unfortunately for whatever reason, since 2004 he has failed to find any form in international tournaments. In qualifying he has been as good as anyone and you can't knock his goals record. Yes he has scored a fair few against inferior nations but he has continued to do so in a national team that has gone backwards in the last decade.

I had hoped that we would be fresher and quicker without him in the team yesterday but sadly there was little difference and we probably deserved to lose.
    Every manager since Sven has failed to get anything remotely worth watching out of the national side on a regular basis, the fact is we are a long way behind many nations both in both technical and tactical ability.
    He showed his true colours, when holding Man Utd and Alex Ferguson to ransom, over a new contract....And slagging England fans, that had made the long, very expensive trip to south africa in the world cup.....Lets not pretend we're dealing with a top bloke here....He's changed his public ways, purely because he's been given the England captaincy. ..by default. ........I haven't felt a connection with England players since Euro 96, when overpaid egos didn't seem to be a problem...You saw and felt what it meant. ...International breaks now, are a pain in the ar$e to me......We will never follow the German/Spanish model...because we have fewer national players in our league....And more pertinently, we have to always crowbar the so called superstars, eg Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney etc into the side, for sponsorship rights, clubs they play for, managerial cop outs, Fan pressure etc.....Why have under 21's, if there isn't a chance in hell, they'll get promoted. ....Its a team game....And a well drilled, hungry team, should be doing far better than it is......For me...International goalscoring records, only register, at major tournaments.....Thats when you prove your worth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)