+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The threat of well meaning amateurs?

The threat of well meaning amateurs?

Our two most prominent sporting teams Derby County and Derbyshire CCC are now under the control of well meaning, well intentioned, well heeled chaps who are desperate to bring success to teams they are very attached to. However, both teams' playing records and performances have been going backwards since these chaps took full control. Are we suffering from being managed by men who have a proven record of success in other areas but are sporting "amateurs" and, if so, what is the alternative? Discuss!

I'm saying nothing!

But you might be onto something..

Quote Originally Posted by AngryRam View Post
    I'm saying nothing!
    Oh go on

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchTrimmed View Post
    Oh go on
    You're a bad influence.

Not sure how we're going backwards FT. We're only two games in and it's been very disappointing so far but...Mel's first season in charge resulted in a top six finish and we came very close to beating a team in the play offs who beat the Champions yesterday. The season before Mel took over we finished eighth so how is that backwards?

Aren't all chairman effectively 'amateurs' anyway...they then employ professionals to do the job and at least ours is, as you suggest, 'well meaning' and a genuine supporter.

Its getting a bit boring all this ante Mel rubbish Of course he has made mistakes with his choose of managers what chairman hasn't Apparently 86% of Championship managers don't last12 months So there must be some bad owners I know a few on here suggest we were better of under the Yanks That are the same ones moaning that Tom Click could not get any money from the investors who just asset stripping At this time we are lucky to have Mel he will get it right just be patient At the moment we have a manager who has inherited players he probably does not want that will take time to rectify

I'll give my usual lesson from history, with a sting in the tale.

1995/1996. Jim Smith was the surprise choice as manager, pulled out of retirement by 'well-meaning amateur' Lionel Pickering. Derby were inconsistent, disappointing, mid-table, for the first THREE months of the year. There was one famous photo commented on a lot at the time (in the press and on radio, there was no internet then) which showed, after a 2-0 defeat against Barnsley ironically, of two of Derby's shorter players (Simmo and Sean Flynn I think) backed by two of Barnsley's giants, with the caption (something like) 'men against boys'. There were calls for Pickering to take a back seat and Smith to go. We got hammered 5-1 by Tranmere and it all looked so desperate. Then it all clicked. By Christmas we were top of the table and Pickering and Smith were the most popular old fellahs from New Mills to Measham. We finished second after a late wobble and got promotion.

The sting in the tale? Three months into the season, we found our leader, Igor Stimac.

I'll say again, that's what we are missing and I hope Pearson is looking. But I think him and Mel need time

If only life just repeated itself.. Sadly it rarely does.

I am happy to give both time but Mel has already had 18 months.
    I just want to have a little clue what both are after. I expect to see some real action in the window now.. If it's Pearson then we have to back him. Unfortunately, I can see Will going now and that will be a real shame.

Not sure where you get '18 months' from Angry...I thought it was four**** and we did finish in the top six even after a poor August and the mid season nightmare.
    Do agree about Will Hughes though, can see him going and that will be sad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)