+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Queen Of The South 65-66

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Cresswell, I am not so sure I will be able to give you any more bad memories of this season as having bother
    Remembering the bad times enhances memories of the good times, JRS, but (and do correct me if I am wrong) was it not in 1965 that Queens lost for the very first time to Stranraer? How the mighty had fallen.

I did notice Queens lost 2-1 at home to Stranraer when I was flicking through the programmes of 65-6. You have a good memory Cresswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresswell View Post
    Remembering the bad times enhances memories of the good times, JRS, but (and do correct me if I am wrong) was it not in 1965 that Queens lost for the very first time to Stranraer? How the mighty had fallen.
    That was my first ever QOS game. My dad took me having chosen that game because we`d never lost to them.

I did notice Queens lost 2-1 at home to Stranraer when I was flicking through the programmes of 65-6. You have a good memory Cresswell.
    As has been discussed on a number of occasions, JRS, it is sometimes easier to remember what happened fifty years ago than fifty weeks ago; but some events, both good and bad, are seared into the memory - good, like the opening goal when we beat Brechin City 6-0 to win promotion: bad, like losing for the first time to Stranraer. You may find it hard to believe now, but until then losing to Stranraer was absolutely and utterly unthinkable. As I posted above, how the mighty had fallen.

I know what you are getting at. I can remember more from Queens games 35 years ago than can games some 5 years ago. Weird , I don't know ?

Name:  20160908_140004.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  97.2 KB

Name:  20160908_140150.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  98.0 KB

A wee bit before I was born but hope some of these memories will be enjoyed by ' aulder' Mad readers. Having a bit of bother loading pictures on so here goes.
    The images you are using JR are on the large side - suggest yo keep them to a around 450 pixels

Quote Originally Posted by Cresswell View Post
    No offence, JRS, but some of us older fans may not want to be reminded of 1965/66. Lest you have forgotten, Queens were relegated from Division One (the then Premiership equivalent) in season 1963/64 and we were embarking on a long and painful journey into the lower divisions of Scottish football never again to return to the top tier. My principal memory of 1966 was travelling to Boghead for a mid-week cup tie against Dumbarton under floodlights. We lost 1-0 and poor old John Murphy (hard as nails he was) broke his leg.
    I also remember that Cresswell when "Spud" broke his leg. I was a penniless student in Glasgow at the time and remember catching the bus thru to Boghead. I got a rough time from some of my fellow students at the college next day who were Sons supporters.

You penniless shanty ? I always imagined you as one of the landed gentry or something grand like that. Anyway, I will try to get the next season better than this . I take it that I have to go into camera settings and reduce photo size ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)