+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 'Big Sam'...

'Big Sam'...

...on a cloudy day on holiday turned to Sam Allardyce's autobiography...'Big Sam'.
    Surprisingly good read. Never realised how close Colin Addison was to bringing him to Derby, or that the only player he claims to have intentionally hurt was Mick Harford, one of the nastiest and most arrogant players to have ever pulled on a Derby shirt imo.
    Written just after he 'left' West Ham but before he got the England job, Allardyce has more time than might be expected for 'flair' players and complete contempt for the type of hoofball advocated by the likes of John Beck. He also tells some good tales about how difficult it was for youngsters making their way in the game on the princely sum of £4 per week. We seem, as with so many things, to have 'chucked the baby out with the bathwater' on that one. Anyway, if you're into such things and at a loose end, it's an interesting, entertaining and highly recommended read.

I'll pick it up in the airporton the way to Mallorca later in the week. Thanks for the reommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I'll pick it up in the airporton the way to Mallorca later in the week. Thanks for the reommendation
    Ah. Just remembered I'm driving

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Even as a fellow 'scribe' I don't think you'll regret it Andy. Never knew Andy Todd put Phil Brown in hospital either, following angry words over Todd Senior.
    P.S. ...and no, I'm not Sam's agent.

Angry words over Todd senior? Now i'm interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Paperclip View Post
    Angry words over Todd senior? Now i'm interested.
    good with his fists was old Andy. I have a football-hating friend who used to have a five by three framed photo on his living room wall of Andy todd punching stan collymore, with the legend 'The Beautiful Game'....

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    a fellow 'scribe' ......
    Look out for the next one, a fast-paced novel exposing the rotten underbelly of world football. Title, 'Tinkler'. If you are a footy fan of a certain age you'll know that name. Due out, the speed I write things, in 2020, just before 'Derby County: The Northern Premier League Years'.

Strangely I sent Roger_Ramjet a PM of a published article I wrote and he appears to have left the forum!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)