+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Congratulations To Gretna

Congratulations To Gretna

Now, who would have thought that this would be the headline on the OS a few years ago as it is now. Gretna 2008 have made the 2nd round proper of the Scottish Cup thanks to the help of some of our younger players on loan to them. If Gretna make some money out of this now, then great and it's pleasing to see good relations between Queens and Gretna . A beneficial ' tie in' where our proteges get to toughen up by playing against grown men in the Lowland League and Gretna get a better class of player than they would have normally.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 26-09-2016 at 04:00 PM.

Never expected that headline but fair play to them reaching the 2nd round.
    Here is the draw for the 2nd round which will be the weekend of 22nd October.
    Name:  192925.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  86.2 KB

Queens will enter in the next round which is dated for 26th November.

The relations between the Gretna club and Queens fans have certainly improved since the days of the late Brookes Mileson, Alexander and Irons if you have the technology to look back at the postings of those days !

Some interesting matches there. A long trip up to Buckie for Gretna, with Annan entertaining East Stirlingshire who have dropped into the Lowland League.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    The relations between the Gretna club and Queens fans have certainly improved since the days of the late Brookes Mileson, Alexander and Irons if you have the technology to look back at the postings of those days !
    At the risk of being petty or pedantic it is my understanding that Gretna 2008 have no connection with the former Cub known as Gretna Football Club, which was liquidated, apart from part of the name, playing at Raydale Park and the Club colours. Obviously the supporters of the liquidated club may now follow Gretna 2008. To their credit when Gretna 2008 were formed (in 2008) they acknowledged the fact that they were separate from the former Gretna Club of the Mileson era, unlike another new club based in Glasgow which persists in the belief that they are still the same Club as one which was also Liqidated.
    I stress that this is my understanding of the Gretna situation but obviously there may be others out there who will correct me if I'm wrong. (Which I frequently am)

Quote Originally Posted by Auld_Chippy View Post
    At the risk of being petty or pedantic it is my understanding that Gretna 2008 have no connection with the former Cub known as Gretna Football Club, which was liquidated, apart from part of the name, playing at Raydale Park and the Club colours. Obviously the supporters of the liquidated club may now follow Gretna 2008. To their credit when Gretna 2008 were formed (in 2008) they acknowledged the fact that they were separate from the former Gretna Club of the Mileson era, unlike another new club based in Glasgow which persists in the belief that they are still the same Club as one which was also Liqidated.
    I stress that this is my understanding of the Gretna situation but obviously there may be others out there who will correct me if I'm wrong. (Which I frequently am)
    There the Same club, same colours, same ground and same fans. A 2nd. Chance that's all they got, they'll be Back tae bite our bums I tell ye!

Don't know what is going on at the Gretna 2008 club but they have lost 3 of their coaching staff team in less than a month - Barry Graham, Nicki White and now Steven Rudd. Despite a good Scottish Cup win away at Devronvale they have lost 31 goals in only 10 Lowland League games !

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)