+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wycombe Wanderers 5 - 1 Crewe Alexandra: Match Report

Wycombe Wanderers 5 - 1 Crewe Alexandra: Match Report

I should probably stop going to watch the Alex as I'm turning into a bit of a jinx! 2 matches watched this season, our 2 losses in the league

Anyway, to the match: after an uneventful opening 20 minutes, Wycombe took the lead with the first real chance of the match. Harry Davis was beaten in the air about 40 yards out from an aimless ball forward and as easily as that Wycombe were in from the flick on. The player who received the flick on had a great chance to score himself as he was unchallenged (the static Alex defence was woefully out of position and far too high up the pitch), but unselfishly squared it to Wood for a virtual tap in. No chance for Ben, totally exposed.

The next 20 minutes was all Crewe; but the goal just wouldn't come. The ball wouldn't fall right when we got dangerous crosses in, and there was also some poor decison making and execution with final balls in the attacking third. For all the pressure, a decent Dagnall effort from the edge of the box forcing the keeper to tip it around the post was the only time we really got a chance on target in this spell.

Then in the 5 minutes before half time, the game was lost. Wycombe's second came from a hopeful deep cross. Turton's ineffective aerial challenge allowed Wanderers to nod it back into the danger area, a second Wycombe head flicked the ball on and the third sent a great header looping over Garratt into the top corner. 3 of our back 4 beaten in the air in one go! The killer goal was just another quick, direct ball over the top into the acres of space left behind our high defensive line. Guthrie (I think) got back to intially prevent a chance, but the attacker was able to hold him off and hit a curling shot on the turn into the bottom corner. No chance for Ben again.

I don't know what was said at half-time, but it dodn't seem to make any difference. Wycombe looked the most likely to score the next goal, and substitute Kashket did with almost his first touch not long after the hour. I say almost first touch, the first couple were to take the ball around Ben. Zooms seemed to have a chance to clear the ball on the line, it was hard to see from the other end. Garratt had thus far done a decent job as a de facto sweeper-keeper, but he was beaten to the ball this time. He had to come for it though, Kashket was clean through and it would have been an easy one on one finish had Ben stayed put. The fifth came after Wycombe had hit the bar (in behind us again) and the rebound shot from the edge of the area was diverted in by Kashket.

From then on, I stopped caring to be honest. I vaguely remember Ben making a save, and a Wycombe lob going just over. Our consolation came from a set piece ineffectively cleared by their keeper. Udoh made a nuisance of himself, and the ball fell to Cooper to hit it crisply through a crowd of players from about 8 yards out. After 80 minutes, I'd had enough and left.

Crewe match ratings:

Garratt: 5 - didn't cover himself in glory for Wycombe's 4th, but he was repeatedly left exposed by our high line and poor defending.

Turton: 4 - back to the old Turton. Frequently out of position, rubbish in the air, much happier with the ball at his feet or making runs down the flank than actually having to defend.

Zooms: 5 - not a going day for him today. He wasn't alone!

Guthrie: 5 - seemed the least individually culpable of our defenders as we haemorraged goals, but I can't give more than a 5 to anyone in that defence. They were poor as a unit.

Davis: 5 - a below par display.

Hollands: 5 - the game largely passed him by in defensive midfield, as Wycombe passed over us rather than through us. Offers little from an attacking perspective.

Jones: 6 - the only Crewe player who actually managed an average performance, so he's our MOTM! Showed some good touches and good strength to retain possession and set up attacking moves in our good spell in the first half.

Ainley: 5 - looked lively at times, but made some poor decisions when he got into good positions.

Cooper: 5 - was probably on for a 4 before getting a goal. A poor effort, I was disappointed after reading good things on here about recent performances.

Dagnall: 5 - a good 5, but he didn't really see much of the ball.

Lowe: 4 - a stinker from the skipper. Contributed little, offside too often.

Steve Davis: 2 - I have to assume that our ridiculously high line was due to his tactical instruction and not the players acting on their own initiative. It played right into the hands of Wycombe's direct passing game. Yes, we caught them offside a lot; but when we didn't, we were gifting them high quality chances. I'm still unconvinced by this 442 with "inside forward" wingers cutting in rather than sticking to their flanks, as well as the partnership of Lowe and Dagnall. No aerial threat, no pace. I wouldn't play both, although I assume they have worked well together when I've not been there to see it.

Overall: I'm confused! We're only a point off second after 10 games; but in the 2 matches I've seen, we've looked like relegation fodder! At times, Wycombe were playing some route one stuff; but they also played some good, direct football too: quick, early balls to the flanks to spread the play, and runners coming from deep to latch onto flick-ons. Two things the Alex routinely fail to do.

I guess I don't see us often enough to add any real insight or ideas going forward. I think my abiding feeling on the drive home was that the team is being asked to play a style of football that they don't have the technique, ability and confidence to execute properly.

Great report Welsh - and a big thank you from me.
    I have been noticing some problems with Ben this season (not being in the right place at the right time and poor clearances). Perhaps he should be controlling the back four better?
    It also reads like a poor performance over all.
    Again. Thank you.

Thanks for a great report, sorry you had to suffer the game
    Well onwards and upwards on Saturday

Two games without Kiwomya, two poor displays, coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh_Cup_1937 View Post
    I should probably stop going to watch the Alex as I'm turning into a bit of a jinx! 2 matches watched this season, our 2 losses in the league

Funnily enough, Welsh, me too!

Now maybe others saw it differently at Cheltenham but because I was expecting a win there, I thought we were piss poor! Unfortunately last night we failed to even reach those "heady heights"!
    But as you rightly point out, even after that dross, we are still only a point off second. God, L2 is a really awful league! <joke!>

Interesting to see people's reactions to it though.
    During the game when Wycombe fans were singing how ****e we were, some of our "loyal faithful" joined in. That's no way to support your team, especially a young one. You can think it, yes, and I did, but .....!!!
    Some left early - what is the point in that? I'm no saint, not trying to make out I am, but I would never do that.

Conversely though some even applauded us off the park at the end. I wouldn't do that either. What was there to applaud?

And walking out, some Crewe fans were picking on Cooper "strutting around as though he earns £300k a week and not £300!" A bit harsh, especially considering the season he's had so far and that he scored our goal. There were other far easier targets.

And Wycombe fans claiming "that's the worst back 4 I've seen all season" but, whilst we all know we are not reliably rock solid at the back, that's the same back 4 that conceded 2 in 5.

Hopefully we will get back on track on Sat!
    Can't get any worse!

Despite the scoreline, I actually thought we were better against Wycombe than Cheltenham, somerset! We looked like a team with a plan, at least - unfortunately it wasn't a very good one!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I think a 532/352 would have been a better bet. A third CB to sweep up direct through balls would have come in very handy. Plus both of our FBs look like they would be more suited to a wing back role in general. With our wide players cutting in when set up as 442 and both strikers happy to move wide into channels, I don't think it would be too narrow and we would have extra players in the centre of the park to try and work some space in the the opposition half.

my thoughts exactly! (Hence my earlier posts!)
    However, this make tomorrow's game even more important. We have to come out of it with some credit.
    Are we missing Kiwomya? Yes & no!
    He is not our only decent player but without him we are unbalanced.
    Last Saturday, George C was brilliant in the first half BUT there was no penetration on the other side. This was learned by th 'pool defence and so they concentrated on GC in the 2nd half and almost nullified him.
    Do we not have any other wingers? How about Perry coming in, Turton switching and Zooms working the other wing?

How many other teams in the division play the long ball? We obviously don't like it and surely the scouts will notice!