+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Absolutely scunnered with football, and Motherwell FC themselves

Absolutely scunnered with football, and Motherwell FC themselves

This season, like last, has been utter dross from us and even though I don't think we'll be relegated this season, I don't see much for us to look forward to either.

But the thing that really grinds me is the general acceptance in and around our club that "that is yer whack" and we can't hope for any better and more and more supporters are shrugging their shoulders to cup exits early on and going "ach well, at least we'll make some money by drawing Celtic/being on the TV/finishing 5th rather than 6th" Well, is that really all we can hope to amount to? Finishing mid table in a poor league and making a few bob from getting humped out of every single cup competition we ever enter? It seems so and that is depressing beyond belief.

And on the park, there is very little to inspire you these days. We have a poor squad containing a mixture of English conference level duds and aging players who were once good for us, but not any more, and a manager, who in my opinion shouldn't be there and treats the support with contempt (he was arguing with fans in the Main Stand AGAIN on Friday).

Just what is there to look forward to? We have no vision as a club any more, we prefer to re-recruit popular ex players and managers and give them lengthy contracts, even though it is patently clear that they have little left to offer. I love Hammell and Lasley, but they are done and it is painful to watch them nowadays, yet there is nothing coming through either from the youth ranks or signing wise to adequately replace them. It's a joke.

And yet again this season, we are out of one Cup early doors and will do nothing of note in the other one either, but hey, who cares? We're only Motherwell and we don't expect to.

Is it any wonder our crowds are dwindling so badly.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    This season, like last, has been utter dross from us and even though I don't think we'll be relegated this season, I don't see much for us to look forward to either.

But the thing that really grinds me is the general acceptance in and around our club that "that is yer whack" and we can't hope for any better and more and more supporters are shrugging their shoulders to cup exits early on and going "ach well, at least we'll make some money by drawing Celtic/being on the TV/finishing 5th rather than 6th" Well, is that really all we can hope to amount to? Finishing mid table in a poor league and making a few bob from getting humped out of every single cup competition we ever enter? It seems so and that is depressing beyond belief.

And on the park, there is very little to inspire you these days. We have a poor squad containing a mixture of English conference level duds and aging players who were once good for us, but not any more, and a manager, who in my opinion shouldn't be there and treats the support with contempt (he was arguing with fans in the Main Stand AGAIN on Friday).

Just what is there to look forward to? We have no vision as a club any more, we prefer to re-recruit popular ex players and managers and give them lengthy contracts, even though it is patently clear that they have little left to offer. I love Hammell and Lasley, but they are done and it is painful to watch them nowadays, yet there is nothing coming through either from the youth ranks or signing wise to adequately replace them. It's a joke.

And yet again this season, we are out of one Cup early doors and will do nothing of note in the other one either, but hey, who cares? We're only Motherwell and we don't expect to.

There will be a few who disagree but frankly I can't be arsed watching us anymore for the simple reason the dross is as good as it gets. I watched the golf on Friday night rather than go and watch the predictable guff. The club will need to hope there are plenty more that dont share my views. I will always buy a season ticket whether I go or not but for going each week that habit weakens every week.

Many of my feelings are as much down to how Scottish Football is run not just Motherwell. Those running our game have only the interest of two clubs and frankly many of the diddy club chairman cant think beyond their next OF gate. The corruption within football does make me question being a supporter at all . If anyone thinks the Scottish game isnt corrupt to the core they are kidding themselves on ... a very sad state of affairs.

LSM I have supported Motherwell for nearly 50 years now. In all that time, I never expected anything from my team, other than they do their best on the park. We hoped , but did not expect to get to cup finals. We supported them in the hope that we would be entertained in the 90 minutes that we paid to see them. We have been on a high at times, and at others we have been struggling. We support them because they are our local team (Unlike the bigot brothers). I agree that we live in a precarious time for the club financially, but that is true for many clubs. Will we survive long term ?. I really don't know, but in the meantime, I will still pay for my 90 Minutes entertainment, knowing that sometimes I will be rewarded, and other times, I will be disapointed

Quote Originally Posted by bheron View Post
    LSM I have supported Motherwell for nearly 50 years now. In all that time, I never expected anything from my team, other than they do their best on the park. We hoped , but did not expect to get to cup finals. We supported them in the hope that we would be entertained in the 90 minutes that we paid to see them. We have been on a high at times, and at others we have been struggling. We support them because they are our local team (Unlike the bigot brothers). I agree that we live in a precarious time for the club financially, but that is true for many clubs. Will we survive long term ?. I really don't know, but in the meantime, I will still pay for my 90 Minutes entertainment, knowing that sometimes I will be rewarded, and other times, I will be disapointed
    Well said sir. My feelings exactly. The current side is far better than a lot of our teams I've seen in the past. We're not that bad.

You know we are not great. But look at the league table compared to our budget, get real you guys.
    Season ticket next year and on and on. What the f... Do you guys expect?

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post

There's certainly not a lot to look forward to on the park this season - we'll be midtable somewhere I imagine - and given you spent the vast majority of a record-breaking successful spell a few years ago moaning, I doubt you'll enjoy your visits to Fir Park for a while since the chance of a cup win is probably even more remote than usual.

For once though I think there is reason for the most cautious of optimism off the field. We're still living hand to mouth on the Society dream but on the basis there's no other alternative there's little point complaining about that. However, in recent months we've had a new commercial guy in place, a new media guy iirc and then this fan-engagement dude...yes the players on the pitch are ageing but Lasley is contributing to Craigan's development of the cup winning (and I think league leading, someone said on Friday?) U20s and Faddy is clearly being groomed to take over as manager which is a level of succession planning I don't think I can ever remember at Motherwell.

Of course, there's no guarantee any of this will work out. Coaxing good U20s into being good senior players is notoriously difficult, no one cares our match programme is superb, Faddy might be a disaster and I'm buggered if I know what a fan-engagement officer spends his 40 hours a week actually doing. But I think, compared to a couple of years ago at least, a direction has been set...but it'll take another couple of years to see if it gets us anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by wellwin View Post
    You know we are not great. But look at the league table compared to our budget, get real you guys.
    Season ticket next year and on and on. What the f... Do you guys expect?

What I expect is exactly what Im getting. Thats the problem Im bored with it 40 years in an its exactly the same as it was 40 years ago. The difference back then you genuinely believed the game was a wee bit biased to the OF but reality today is we are being taken for mugs, football is rotten to the core and the blazzers , diddy clubs included, are complicit.

Those running the game couldnt have an original thought if their life depended on it. The media are in the back pocket of the corruption. Look at the implosion of Rangers every rule in the book broken to sustain them. When Rangers went t1ts up there was the chance to break the disgraceful voting structure that gave them a stranglehold. What did the diddy clubs do in those 4 years ? absolutely fpuck all all they could think about was how quickly theyd get an OF fixture back.

What innovation to stimulate our game ? return to league cup mini sections, return of the winter break and allowing Celtic to postpone league games to allow them to participate in lucrative friendlies. Oh my fpuck no wonder our games dying and our club is complicit in supporting the utter non event that is the SPFL. There is nothing new in Scottish Football we cant even name the feckin leagues without copying down south. We have the same tired ol faces hawking themselves round clubs with the same insipid mentality of get ye excuses in to excuse abject failure , same at international level.

I swear if aliens kidnapped the entire Scottish football supporting public in 1980 kept them captive for 30 years and brought them back the only thing anyone would think has changed is all seater stadiums and that was forced on them .

I guess Im just not as into the game as I once was because I feel its pointless and corrupt to the core.
    Last edited by steviex; 03-10-2016 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steviex View Post
    What I expect is exactly what Im getting. Thats the problem Im bored with it 40 years in an its exactly the same as it was 40 years ago. The difference back then you genuinely believed the game was a wee bit biased to the OF but reality today is we are being taken for mugs, football is rotten to the core and the blazzers , diddy clubs included, are complicit.

Those running the game couldnt have an original thought if their life depended on it. The media are in the back pocket of the corruption. Look at the implosion of Rangers every rule in the book broken to sustain them. When Rangers went t1ts up there was the chance to break the disgraceful voting structure that gave them a stranglehold. What did the diddy clubs do in those 4 years ? absolutely fpuck all all they could think about was how quickly theyd get an OF fixture back.

What innovation to stimulate our game ? return to league cup mini sections, return of the winter break and allowing Celtic to postpone league games to allow them to participate in lucrative friendlies. Oh my fpuck no wonder our games dying and our club is complicit in supporting the utter non event that is the SPFL. There is nothing new in Scottish Football we cant even name the feckin leagues without copying down south. We have the same tired ol faces hawking themselves round clubs with the same insipid mentality of get ye excuses in to excuse abject failure , same at international level.

I swear if aliens kidnapped the entire Scottish football supporting public in 1980 kept them captive for 30 years and brought them back the only thing anyone would think has changed is all seater stadiums and that was forced on them .

I guess Im just not as into the game as I once was because I feel its pointless and corrupt to the core.
    Can't disagree with anything you say

We've got a great pitch all the same! Put the grounds man in charge of the team ...

Quote Originally Posted by steviex View Post

Can't disagree with any of that. I've stopped going after 40 years. We're only there to make up the numbers and be cheated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)