+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Irn Bru Cup R4

Irn Bru Cup R4

Last night`s matches saw Ayr beating Falkirk 1-0 in extra time and Livingston beating Crusaders 2-1 thanks to a late goal by Pittman. I see that Neil Doncaster was at that match.

Today we have
    Bala Town v Alloa Athletic (Live on S4C which if you have Sky TV is channel 280)
    Stranraer v Dundee United
    Dunfermline v Queen's Park
    Forfar Athletic v The New Saints
    Hibernian v St Mirren

On Sunday is the last cup match which obviously is Queens v Linfield which I am really looking forward to.

The draw for the next round will be on Monday at 2pm.

Today's results

Bala Town 2-4 Alloa
    Stranraer 0-1 Dundee Utd
    Dunfermline 2-1 Queen's Park
    Forfar 1-3 New Saints
    Hibernian 1-2 St Mirren

At the moment we have one non scottish team in the quarter final and hopefully it will still be only one after tomorrow.

Ayr
    Livingston
    Alloa
    Dundee Utd
    Dunfermline
    New Saints
    St Mirren
    Queens\Linfield

This tournament gets plenty of stick but not by me. One of the best days I ever had watching Queens was the final in 2013. Great sing song, drama , Lee Robinson antics , you name it ?. I'm looking forward to being in a QF draw and if we aren't, then best of luck to Linfield. The organisers - in my humble opinion - are to be congratulated for inviting Welsh and Northern Irish teams in as it's some different and refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    This tournament gets plenty of stick but not by me. One of the best days I ever had watching Queens was the final in 2013. Great sing song, drama , Lee Robinson antics , you name it ?. I'm looking forward to being in a QF draw and if we aren't, then best of luck to Linfield. The organisers - in my humble opinion - are to be congratulated for inviting Welsh and Northern Irish teams in as it's some different and refreshing.
    Agreed. A wee trip to Wales in the next round would suit me well!

It took extra time but Queens are into the next round.

Queen's had plenty of chances but never took them to finish the 90 mins for the 3rd game goalless.
    Very pleased that it was Dykes that got the first goal as he had a few chances one on one with Carroll in the 2nd half and for Dobbie's goal that was just a amazing free kick.

Bring on the next round and I would personally like TNS (Home or Away) and failing that Alloa or Livingston as I would like to avoid the other teams in our league.

TNS away on the Saturday so we can catch the game on our way back from Wembley

Significant gulf in class today between the two teams and Queens could easily have racked up a hat full over the 90 minutes. Poor finishing was the only reason that victory was not more readily forthcoming and we did miss Lyle today and his predatory instincts in and around the box. With perhaps the exception of Anderson there were no failures today with most players playing themselves into the ground at the end. Riggs hold up play was exceptional today as was his ability to bring others around him into the game. The substitution near the end however of Moxon for Rigg I thought illustrated just how thin our squad currently is with the injuries which does emphasise the need for recruits.
    We are deservedly into the quarters now and onward and upwards with this fantastic start to the season.

As Jack Nicholson said in the film A Few Good Men, "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth". Linfield are a team of part-timers who wouldn't look out of place in the SPFL Division 1 or even Division 2 and who never remotely looked like winning this game. Queen of the South are the current leaders of the SPFL championship but it wasn't until Linfield had run out of legs, were on their knees, that we were able to prevail. It is not often that I watch a cup-tie inwardly pleading that it wouldn't go to extra time; that someone would score, anyone would score, just to bring the game to an end. That was as entertaining and exciting as watching paint dry. Take out the two veterans, Dobbie and Carroll, and what was left? Not a lot. Dobbie had a relatively quiet game but had one assist and one goal: Roy Carroll was quite outstanding and, in my opinion, was the Man of the Match by the proverbial mile. Nothing illustrated the lack of quality more than the pathetic attempts by Dykes when through one on one with Carroll. Not once, not twice but three times he made a hash of it before scoring at his fourth attempt. Yes, we won and are through to the next round but it was as unimpressive a win as the national team's draw last night. Ach! Moan over. Back in my box and wait for the abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresswell View Post
    As Jack Nicholson said in the film A Few Good Men, "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth". Linfield are a team of part-timers who wouldn't look out of place in the SPFL Division 1 or even Division 2 and who never remotely looked like winning this game. Queen of the South are the current leaders of the SPFL championship but it wasn't until Linfield had run out of legs, were on their knees, that we were able to prevail. It is not often that I watch a cup-tie inwardly pleading that it wouldn't go to extra time; that someone would score, anyone would score, just to bring the game to an end. That was as entertaining and exciting as watching paint dry. Take out the two veterans, Dobbie and Carroll, and what was left? Not a lot. Dobbie had a relatively quiet game but had one assist and one goal: Roy Carroll was quite outstanding and, in my opinion, was the Man of the Match by the proverbial mile. Nothing illustrated the lack of quality more than the pathetic attempts by Dykes when through one on one with Carroll. Not once, not twice but three times he made a hash of it before scoring at his fourth attempt. Yes, we won and are through to the next round but it was as unimpressive a win as the national team's draw last night. Ach! Moan over. Back in my box and wait for the abuse.
    I will say one thing for you Cresswell- you are at least consistent.

Needless to say , I disagree with the above. This was a good footballing display by Queens , backed up by a strong defensive one and only let down by some abysmal finishing. Millar showed his class when brought on ( why was he sub anyway ? ). Surely Jacobs and his broken rib could have sat this out . Anderson today showed his great ability in the air and big Rigg was making those long balls stick to him like glue at times. An interesting and very physical front two in Rigg and Dykes I thought. Good outside the box thing by Skelton to put Dobbs on the left when no one would have planned or expected this . His skill was , well, you know what at times and only downfall was the lack of a clinical finish by him. A tough afternoon of frustration though and when time was running out I was convinced they were going to get one chance and bury it. Onwards we march though and into the last eight

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)