+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's went wrong ?

What's went wrong ?

An absolutely shocking performance today against Morton who wanted a win more than us . We had several players out injured and a very young bench but so did they . How on earth can a team who's only lost 4 league goals in our first EIGHT games lose 5 in 90 minutes

That's us now not scored a goal over 90 minutes during our last 5 games . Yes we're struggling with players out but something's not right . You can't go from so good to so bad in such a short period of time

We all were worried about our squad size when the transfer window closed and now the reality of it all is there for us all to see . Next week Ayr will probably beat us as they're on a high and we're the complete opposite . It's been a great start to the season but now the pressure's on Gav and the BOD's despite us still sitting joint top

A return hopefully briefly to the Nightmare on Terregles Steet days. God knows what my all - time favourite player and Queens legend Tommy Bryce (mark 2) thought of this - got to hold our hands up and admit on the day we were outclassed for the whole game.
    Squad sadly in personnel due to injuries but Morton had also had a crisis with players missing so fair play to them for an excellent display of skill and aggression.

Sorry, fellow posters. I said after the game against Linfield that some of you couldn't handle the truth. Well, we got the truth today. Aloreburn reckons we can't go from so good to so bad in such a short period of time. Those of us who are prepared to analyse critically our performances this season knew that we had not been "so good". To a large extent we were carried along by the form of Stephen Dobbie who, unfortunately, has not quite lived up to his early promise. Look at recent games: utterly outclassed 0-5 by a very average Rangers; not very impressive in a 0-0 draw at home with Hibs (who are experiencing their own continuing slump in form); a dreadful performance in 0-0 draw away to Dumbarton; a thoroughly unimpressive 2-0 win at home to part-time Linfield (but only after extra-time as the part-timers tired); and finally a 0-5 thrashing by Morton at home. Aloreburn rightly makes the point that we have now gone five games without scoring in the regulation ninety minutes. I readily concede that I had not expected such a heavy defeat today but I was not surprised that we lost. A defeat has been on the cards these past few weeks. I shall always believe that a team will not improve and progress unless performances are forensically analysed for the good but especially for the bad. It is delusional to ignore poor performances even when results go our way; and we have papered over a fair few cracks this season. I am not going to suggest that the bubble has well and truly burst, but it has certainly sprung a leak lately. We have Ayr United next week. They have come on to a bit of form of late which should make for an interesting contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresswell View Post
    Sorry, fellow posters. I said after the game against Linfield that some of you couldn't handle the truth. Well, we got the truth tooday. Aloreburn reckons we can't go from so good to so bad in such a short period of time. Those of us who are prepared to analyse critically our performances this season knew that we had not been "so good". To a large extent we were carried along by the form of Stephen Dobbie who, unfortunately, has not quite lived up to his early promise. Look at recent games: utterly outclassed 0-5 by a very average Rangers; not very impressive in a 0-0 draw at home with Hibs (who are experiencing their own continuing slump in form); a dreadful performance in 0-0 draw away to Dumbarton; a thoroughly unimpressive 2-0 win at home to part-time Linfield (but only after extra-time as the part-timers tired); and finally a 0-5 thrashing by Morton at home. Aloreburn rightly makes the point that we have now gone five games without scoring in the regulation ninety minutes. I readily concede that I had not expected such a heavy defeat today but I was not surprised that we lost. A defeat has been on the cards these past few weeks. I shall always believe that a team will not improve and progress unless performances are forensically analysed for the good but especially for the bad. It is delusional to ignore poor performances even when results go our way; and we have papered over a fair few cracks this season. I am not going to suggest that the bubble has well and truly burst, but it has certainly sprung a leak lately. We have Ayr United next week. They have come on to a bit of form of late which should make for an interesting contest.
    That was grim viewing today. Toothless. Morton had the run of midfield and were given so much time on the ball it could easily have been 7 or 8. We constantly played long balls that rarely got anywhere near their target. In fact it began to look like the old days when you doubted there even was a target, more just a hoof up the park. Things needing sorted out here.

Today was the proverbial bad day at the office big time. Morton were more up for the game, first to all the loose balls and were willing and more than able to run past our players too easily.The midfield in particular was simply over run with the absence of Jacobs in this area the most telling. The age of the bench told the story of our current injury position and lack of adequate replacements to change the game when it was desperately calling out for substitutions to be made. Lets be fair and say that Morton scored with their first three attempts on goal and were hardly peppering the Queens goal with attempts in the first half. Skelton obviously sent the team out early for the beginning of the second half with his comments still ringing in their ears but after the fourth goal morale fell through the roof and the score could have been anything at the end. The only Queens player to emerge with their reputation intact and unblemished from this was young Dykes who continued to run himself into the ground and his frustration at others not matching his own efforts was clear for all to see. A full team of Lyndon Dykes would be impressive indeed. Some of the young substitutes also did their careers no harm by putting in shifts far better than those experienced players they replaced.
    We can now only hope that some of those injured return sooner rather than later so that we can stabilise this rather battered team and we can get back to the enthusiastic passionate style of play seen just a few weeks ago. Remember we are still at the right end of the table with three quarter of the season to play so stay firm and remain fully behind the team.
    Mon the South.

For all I think you are talking real sense Cresswell, I kinda think you couldn't wait to put a post like that together and that alarms me a bit. I have alluded to the fact that we are extremely weak down the left with a couple of injuries and thought this could derail us completely in a very tight league. I want to be wrongiven but can't think I will be ��

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    Today was the proverbial bad day at the office big time. Morton were more up for the game, first to all the loose balls and were willing and more than able to run past our players too easily.The midfield in particular was simply over run with the absence of Jacobs in this area the most telling. The age of the bench told the story of our current injury position and lack of adequate replacements to change the game when it was desperately calling out for substitutions to be made. Lets be fair and say that Morton scored with their first three attempts on goal and were hardly peppering the Queens goal with attempts in the first half. Skelton obviously sent the team out early for the beginning of the second half with his comments still ringing in their ears but after the fourth goal morale fell through the roof and the score could have been anything at the end. The only Queens player to emerge with their reputation intact and unblemished from this was young Dykes who continued to run himself into the ground and his frustration at others not matching his own efforts was clear for all to see. A full team of Lyndon Dykes would be impressive indeed. Some of the young substitutes also did their careers no harm by putting in shifts far better than those experienced players they replaced.
    We can now only hope that some of those injured return sooner rather than later so that we can stabilise this rather battered team and we can get back to the enthusiastic passionate style of play seen just a few weeks ago. Remember we are still at the right end of the table with three quarter of the season to play so stay firm and remain fully behind the team.
    Mon the South.
    Yes. Dykes was our MoM without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    For all I think you are talking real sense Cresswell, I kinda think you couldn't wait to put a post like that together and that alarms me a bit. I have alluded to the fact that we are extremely weak down the left with a couple of injuries and thought this could derail us completely in a very tight league. I want to be wrongiven but can't think I will be ��
    I think Cresswell has it absolutely correct on this one. No one expected such a comprehensive demolition but the reality is we have not been playing well for several weeks. Quite simply if you go four games without scoring the fifth opponents are not going to fear you and Morton certainly didn't. All credit to Jim Duffy for the way he set his young Morton side up to press us high and hard and not allow us to settle. They totally overwhelmed what was a poor Queens midfield with Miller and Pickard both woeful.
    Injuries are certainly impacting on our lean squad but the crux here is regaining the goal scoring form and I believe that needs much more support from the midfield area where I believe the main weakness lies.

Our midfield was practically non-existent today, as it was against Hibs. We need someone in there who's capable of dictating play.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    I just can't win, JRS, can I? I am bit surprised and very disappointed that you should think that I "couldn't wait to put a post like that together". Let's be honest, nine of today's starting eleven could be regarded as first choices and the remaining two feature regularly so this was not quite the weakened team that is alleged. We were thoroughly outplayed by a much better team and our defensive frailties were seriously exposed. These defensive frailties have been there to be seen by those who are willing to see them (even in games that we have won); to ignore them is simply to stick your head in the sand. This was a result waiting to happen; and it gives me no pleasure that it has now actually happened. No fan, even a critic such as I, likes to see his team thrashed at home by a 0-5 score line. Perhaps, JRS, I just happen to be right that this team is nowhere near as good as you think they are. However, despite today's setback I shall still be at Ayr next week hoping for a good result against a resurgent United.
    Last edited by Cresswell; 15-10-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)