+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We are teetering

Borrowed from another forum

Inconsistency - the hallmark of Cook's teams at Pompey. We are either very good or very poor. Nothing in between. These poor games need replacing by a few professional performances, grinding out results. Also poor recruitment as another poster says. That is why so many punters have lost confidence. Good results at Plymouth and Orient cancelled out by Saturday's debacle. That is not progress. Having said that I would hang on to him until Xmas and give him one last chance to change his sometimes bizarre thinking.

Think I'll pop in this week as I drive nearby anyway and purchase my trusted seat for the Wycombe Cup Game. I wont be going to the Bristol Rovers Check a Trade or whatever it is called. Words fail me as to why PFC have put the price up to £10 Adults for what is a perfectly meaningless game, having charged £7 for the Reading game. They only had 1300 odd in for that game and if they are trying to lower the attendance even more then they are going the right way about it.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by lovedeanblue View Post
    We were utterly awful today, spineless, gutless. No tempo for long periods in the game, giving silly goals away, taking Conor off to bring the hapless Main on, that will do for a start. I could moan all night but I am going out and can't stay here much longer. However the facts show we lost and that is 2 home league games on the bounce. Lots of posters on other forums are calling for Cook's head. Not sure how we can afford that but as I have said before I can't see us going up with this Clown in charge. Oh and Daz has only seen one draw out of 5 games this season so he feels he is to blame. Feel for him and all us other Pompey fans who spend time and money watching such rubbish
    Entirely agree withall of that. I notice Carl Robinson has left MK Dons this morning. Knew enough to get the Dons up AND beat Plymouth on the way! Time forthe clownto make way,

Well said Chi, by the way those "effing" Wasps have been back after a few years absence.

They are on the way back!. By the way just got Wycombe Cup Tickets. A triumph of hope versus experience!

Moving the topic on a little bit.....does anyone feel that the Pompey job is too big for Cook? I have no idea how he performed at Chesterfield but at Pompey he seems to be Mr Angry.....stubborn and if it isn't going his way tends to throw a wobbly! (Not to be confused with passion). Cook probably doesn't give a toss about individual fans opinion but in my opinion the vast majority do want him to succeed however I feel that the natives are getting restless. Personally I hope we can go on a run (I.e find some consistency) and by Christmas be in the automatic spots......if not I feel Cook might get an unwanted Christmas present.
    Anyway nice to see a number of posters contributing to the forum/thread(s)......PUP

I am not convinced by Cook. He doesn't seem particularly bright to me. I mean that in the football sense. Mentioning the ref's performance in Saturday's debacle in a poor attempt to deflect attention from his and the team's shortcomings was not a clever move. Even Ferguson and Mourinho were/are not able to get away with that one so what chance has he got?. Look at the mistakes you made ffs and do something about them next time! I think we have seen the best of Cook by now and guess if we are out of the play-off places by Xmas he may well be gone. Not that I have a clue who will do a better job but for me it would have to be someone with a better track record at a bigger club not Accrington and Chesterfield. Here are a few names of available English managers working at a higher level until recently with the experience I believe to move the club forward that caught my eye. Not saying they'd be any good or would want the job - just discussion points.

Brian McDermott
    Nigel Pearson
    Neil Redfearn
    Tony Mowbray
    Tim Sherwood

Quote Originally Posted by philphillips View Post
    Moving the topic on a little bit.....does anyone feel that the Pompey job is too big for Cook? I have no idea how he performed at Chesterfield but at Pompey he seems to be Mr Angry.....stubborn and if it isn't going his way tends to throw a wobbly! (Not to be confused with passion). Cook probably doesn't give a toss about individual fans opinion but in my opinion the vast majority do want him to succeed however I feel that the natives are getting restless. Personally I hope we can go on a run (I.e find some consistency) and by Christmas be in the automatic spots......if not I feel Cook might get an unwanted Christmas present.
    Anyway nice to see a number of posters contributing to the forum/thread(s)......PUP
    I honestly do not believe that we will get anywhere with Mr. Smalltime (Chesterfield, small Irishclubs etc.).
    For all the keep Cook brigade I would ask a serious and honest question - after a season and a quarter of inconsistency,
    inept substitutes, strange team selection and lame excuses - what and when do they think is going to happen to make things better? The pattern is there for all to see.
    Please don't come the old soldier about best manager for years etc. The others did not have the resources and budget that this guy's had. I have been watching Pompey for over 60 years. The teams have not always been world beaters but I always felt the teams (with a few exceptons) have given their all and rolled up their sleeves and fought. I don't think this present lot "get" Pompey at all.

Behind it all is the tippy-tappy style of play Cook promotes. It works occasionally but against determined, well-organised, physical and direct teams it seems too often to fall apart. Negative possession I think it is called and works if you have a Messi or Aguerro up front. We've got a youngster who is carrying the burden on his own. Feel for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Corkhead View Post
    And if he says "that's football" one more time
    That gets on my nerves everytime he says it - that and "move on". It's a defeatist attitude and 'oh well, next game'. It would be fine a few times but clearly it shows that nothing has changed. I can only listen on the radio at the moment but hearing Whittingham getting frustrated on Saturday with the crossing style and how there's no variation said it all.

Anyone care to speculate on the outcome should we fail miserably against Cambridge.

Good to see you back Corky.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)