+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reality check

I reckon the supporters are just a bit perplexed with the team's recent slump after such a great start to the season. Not helped of course with injured players out and the lack of recent goals scored.

At the risk of bringing the opprobrium of other posters down upon my head yet again let me explain one more time the reality of the situation. Queen of the South is a small, provincial club from a small market town remote from the populous central belt of Scotland. Our place in Scottish football is very largely, if not wholly, determined by geography and demography. That is why we are not, never have been and never will be a major force in Scottish football. We are one of only two teams in the Championship never to have won a major national trophy and one of only three in the top two divisions. Currently we relatively rarely have attendances in excess of 2,000. Compare this with the attendances at the other games not involving Queens played yesterday in the Championship - 5,979; 7,622; and 4,773. It is my contention that it is these figures that dictate that Queen of the South is, at best, a middling Championship team that is more likely to be relegated than to be promoted. Admittedly there will be some seasons when we may punch a bit above our weight but these will be countered by seasons when we punch below our weight. It is a fact that in the post WWII era Queens have spent considerably more time in the third tier of Scottish football than the top tier. Now I know that there are some who will accuse me yet again of negativity but, sadly, history often teaches some harsh lessons. I believe unequivocally that I shall never again see Queens play in the Premiership and I very much doubt if other posters who are much younger than I will either. Perhaps it is just time to accept that and to stop hankering after something that is beyond our reach.
    Last edited by Cresswell; 23-10-2016 at 08:56 PM.

Following your logic then Cresswell Ross County, Hamilton and ICT would never have won promotion to the SPL and heaven forbid Leicester would have no chance of winning the EPL. Please allow some of us to harbour dreams however ridiculous they may seem to those with a more logical outlook on life. You have certainly laboured you point on this site on many occasions but please allow us to fantasise a little or there is little point in supporting small provincial clubs like Queens.

I disagree with your point of view as well 84 yards and think it is unnecessarily harsh to apportion blame on one particular individual.

You cannot apportion blame when it was the entire team who were at fault for simply not giving 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    Following your logic then Cresswell Ross County, Hamilton and ICT would never have won promotion to the SPL and heaven forbid Leicester would have no chance of winning the EPL. Please allow some of us to harbour dreams however ridiculous they may seem to those with a more logical outlook on life. You have certainly laboured you point on this site on many occasions but please allow us to fantasise a little or there is little point in supporting small provincial clubs like Queens.
    Let's get inconvenient facts out of the way, Spike. Ross County are bankrolled by a wealthy patron. If/when his support stops I fully expect that Ross County will plummet back down through the leagues more quickly than they climbed up to the Premiership. Hamilton Accies are located in the populous central belt in a town with a population approaching (but not quite) double the population of Dumfries. Hamilton Accies probably start each year they are in the Premiership as favourites to be relegated and it is my expectation that they will be sooner rather than later. Inverness is the fastest growing city in Scotland with a population of just over half as many again as Dumfries. As for Leicester City not only do they enjoy tens of millions of pounds doled out by the TV companies they are owned by Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, a Thai Chinese billionaire, reputedly worth $3.3 billion and capable of buying 18 BMWs worth £100,000 each for his players. The question is not how Leicester won the Premiership but why shouldn't they win the Premiership.
    I acknowledge that since it is now over fifty years since Queens played in the top tier of Scottish football many of the current supporters have not had that privilege (if, indeed, it was a privilege). Believe me, regular battles against relegation can become both tedious and soul destroying. By all means indulge your fantasies, but why be so modest in these fantasies? Perhaps the Sultan of Brunei will wake up one morning and decide that it would be fun to spend one or two of his many billions on buying Queens of the South and turning them into the Scottish Champions: and why stop there? Why not European champions? I jest, of course, but there has to be some dividing line between reality and fantasy. I obviously set the bar a goodly bit higher than you. However, I would ask if is it not healthy that some old curmudgeon like me brings a bit of sanity and reality to this site. I would also ask why you think it is OK for you (and others) to indulge in fantasy on this site while I shouldn't indulge in reality? Perhaps I tire of fantasy just as much as you tire of reality.

cresswell, are you trying to crush any last hope any of us have for our team ?

Quote Originally Posted by QOS_MAD_ADMIN View Post
    Having been involved with this site for over 15 years I am not scared or intimidated by anyone. Also personal vendettas against players/officials is not healthy.

Excuse me but there's no personal vendetta here . I'm only stating facts and I'm disappointed some fans think certain people can't face criticism and more or less UNTOUCHABLE .
    I'll repeat myself again , the reality is although the squad is decent it was always going to be too small for the extremely hard season ahead . I didn't promise more quality signings so somebody needs to accept responsibility for it
    By the way , just who was it that signed Danny Carmichael ? Was it the managers choice or was it somebody else's

yes there is the harsh reality to consider cresswell ,a team the size of queens needs to be making money outside of football and thay are starting to do so with income coming in from the areana and the use of the pitch and also the kgv ,dispite our poor crowds we make a decent profit season apon season thanks to these facilities ,queens will be in a better situation than most teams outside the top league ,theres no reason why we cant take the gamble and put a team capable of winning this league on the park ,it wont take millions ,the way i see it queens are trying to look at the big picture ,getting the facilities done up and building the youth system ,while making this wee profit season apon season ,for a club our size ,this is going to pay in the long run ,have faith cresswell ,queens arnt far away from getting there ,infact il predict right now that we will be in the top flight for our centenary year ,lets see what happens and believe lads .

Ayr United and Queens are the two Championship clubs never to have won a national trophy and are Ross County the club in the Premiership?

Long may I dream and fantasize for ever more. Maybe just maybe my dream will come true.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)