+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Queen of the South . . .

The Queen of the South . . .

. . . - Dumfries that is. Pretty depressing report on television last night about the further decline of the town when it was reported that 18 shops / businesses had gone tits up in the last 4 months and there are now 58 empty shops in and around the town centre. FAO Jardi - as a very successful local businessman have you any ideas on how to reverse this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    . . . - Dumfries that is. Pretty depressing report on television last night about the further decline of the town when it was reported that 18 shops / businesses had gone tits up in the last 4 months and there are now 58 empty shops in and around the town centre. FAO Jardi - as a very successful local businessman have you any ideas on how to reverse this situation.
    Several towns in Scotland have the same problem - locating stores outside the town has been the problem - Aldi building another store at Cuckoo bridge is the latest one - the development of the Whitesands is ***** to the regeneration of Dumfries but they can't agree on it so we will stand still for another decade

Stop shopping online and from other towns and City's

Shop local folks ......

Quote Originally Posted by palmylad View Post
    Stop shopping online and from other towns and City's

Shop local folks ......
    Impossible I'm afraid !

people are always going to shop for the best prices and the shops uptowns prices are ott ,cheaper to buy elswhere im affraid .

Dumfries isn't unique with most towns suffering the same decline. What the planners forgot is that increasing the number of retail outlets doesn't increase the money supply. If shoppers spend their hard earned cash in Tesco's and etc they can't spend it in the town centre. Even big cities like Glasgow have found that out. I apologise for banging on about my young days, but when I was a boy it was quite literally an effort to get through the crowds in the Vennel on my way to Palmerston. Now I can make my way down to the Sands on occasion without encountering another person.

Seen the Whitesands development on the Scottish news last week.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)