+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 x 90 mins without scoring

7 x 90 mins without scoring

OK , it's all about opinions so here's my tuppence worth. We were undoubtedly the better team and managed to lose somehow. I think this was Raith's only effort at goal. Rigg and Pickard are not good enough to play for us and Brotherston is a far better option in right mid than Anderson for us. On the subject of Pickard, what does Skelton see in him . I want the boy to do well but I can't see anything in him at all after having a good look at him now. He will not be a good player for us as long as he has a hole in his ####. Millar done more in three touches than the boy did all game . Frustrated beyond belief but if we are handicapping ourself in selections , then what chance do we have ?
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 29-10-2016 at 06:13 PM.

It's all about opinions and, for once, our opinions largely coincide. I have always thought that young Pickard is simply out of his depth playing at this level and I have had to come to the same conclusion about Rigg as well. I was quite impressed by Brotherston's performance at Ayr last week so I was a bit surprised that Anderson was preferred this week. We looked the better team last week against Ayr but we lost; and again we looked the better team against Raith Rovers tonight but we lost. Are we simply flattering to deceive? This is where our opinions might diverge, JRS. Yes, arguably we were the better team tonight but it was the better of two pretty poor teams on the night. We have now failed to score or to win in six of our last seven games: and our only win in these seven games was 2-0 against a part-time team from Northern Ireland with both goals coming in extra-time. So what has gone wrong? Well, I suppose the absence of Hilson and Lyle hasn't helped: and, of course, Dobbie is not having the same influence on games that he had. It is also true that in one or two of our early wins we had the benefit of some kind breaks when these games were in the balance. Quite frankly, before the season started I'd have settled for eigh**** points at this stage of the season and, in the light of recent performances, it may be time to re-assess just how good we are and to set our sights a bit lower.

Got to agree that we had the rub of the green early on in the season - added to the fact we were playing a lot better - but I think it's the opposite at the moment . Injuries and a drop off in performances have contributed to our lapse. Yes folks , there is more than one factor here and its not just missing individuals. I could add that the likes of Anderson started well but are now getting ' found out' a bit. Still a bit shocked at how poor Raith were and the fact they still won. Make no mistake , they were awful tonight . The quality on show in the first half was a bit embarrassing to be honest . We picked up in the second and I was encouraged by young Brotherston's willingness to run at people down the line . Just canot for the life of me know why Skelton would prefer Pickard to Millar tonight as I can hardly remember the boy touching the ball. He is just so far off the pace of the game.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 29-10-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Confidence is at an all time low at the moment . Thought we played alright last night and didn't deserve to lose but one error in defence cost us the game . They'd defended superbly up until Stewart was given all the time in the world to score with their first shot on target .
    Pickard isn't my cup of tea and likewise was surprised to see him start instead of Millar , likewise Anderson for Brotherston who did more in the space of 5 minutes that Anderson did all game . Rigg held the ball up well but offered nothing infront of goal . Dobbie should of buried his chance in the opening few minutes , to me he's really struggling in confidence and I'm not sure why

Another game gone , another game without scoring and our 3rd defeat in a row . Only Gavin and the players can sort it out

"They (Raith Rovers) were awful tonight" - but they beat us. Ayr United were not very good last week - but they beat us. Where, exactly, does that leave us? Worse than awful???? Like JRS, I thought the standard of play in the first half last night , by both teams, was abysmal. You might see more quality in a primary school play ground. Kick and rush or more often head up in the air and rush is too kind a description of what was on offer. Was there a player in sight who could bring the ball down and us it constructively? Not a one. Over to you, Mr Skelton.

I would have started Millar instead of Pickard and perhaps Anderson started instead of Brotherston, with Skelton thinking he would have an impact against his old club.

Often wondered if Skelton would opt to give himself a squad number and play this season.? I know Fowler didn't opt for this but it is another thing to consider.

Cresswell - Although he isn't perfect by any means, the one player that could have put his foot on the ball and restored some calm was on the bench ! .

If Raith Rovers are being tipped for a play place according to some sections of the media then on this showing Queens will be well in the mix come April. Raith were in my opinion simply awful and their manager and players looked very embarassed when faced with the media at the finish.

Queens in my opinion will prevail in the end but cherry picking players out as scapegoats is not the way ahead.

I agree that pikard is just awfull and in all due respect shouldnt even be playing for annan let alone queens hes off the pace by about 10 yards and when he does get near the ball he just gives away a ridiculous foul why he started before millar is any1s guess millar is our only midfielder that offers an attacking threat as jacobs is good at breaking play up but isnt the best attacking wise and as ive said pikard is just utter garbage

As for rigg i think he could do a good job if he some1 nxt to him as he showed with dobbies chance he set the ball up on a tee and dobbie fluffed it and if it wasnt for a proffesional foul by mvoto his lovely 1-2 with dykes would have ended in a sure goal yes he might not bang in 20-25 goals a season but playing the right style and the right players around him i think hed be a quality player

Im not sure wat will change our luck but unless we change our system or playing style i cant see us turning it around

I wonder where Jacobs' other two brothers are playing their trade currently. Keighan is one, not sure of the other's name.

Would be good to perhaps try and get them to Palmerston.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)