+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Leyton Orient

Leyton Orient

Well, after last week, I wasn't too sure what to expect.
    I was certainly hoping for a reaction though, and the travelling 299 were not left disappointed.

I'm told (I hadn't done my homework to confirm) that Leyton Orient had lost their last SIX(!!) home games on the bounce but judging by the first 15 minutes or so when they were stroking it around nicely, you couldn't tell.
    But ever so gradually we worked our way into the game with some smart moves and good passing, backed up by some more excellent vocal support (that drummer does make a difference! ), we slowly took control of the game - and Cooper marked it with a sweet curled left footed finish to the keeper's right. At that point the game had swayed enough in our favour that I would say we deserved it.
    Thankfully, rather than ignite a response from the home team, we seemed to keep our foot on the pedal and were rewarded some 5 to 10 mins later with a second with some intelligent play from both Dagnall (for leaving it otherwise he'd have been flagged offside) and Davis (for realising this!) as the latter just flicked it past the keeper.
    2-0 HT and no less than we were entitled to.

The 2nd half started pretty much as I expected. Leyton Orient tried to force the pace and a goal back leaving a few of us agonising over the possibility that we were going to try and sit on our 2-goal lead for 45 mins. We all know we can't do that very well and, thankfully, so did the players when around the hour mark we started to take control, again, realising that the oppo were there for the taking. And but for a smart save from the keeper from a Bingham effort, who was set up on a plate by Daggers (bet he wish he had taken a pot shot himself now), the margin would have been greater.

Difficult to pick a MOTM, everyone played their part (and I mean EVERYONE!) but special praise for Turton and Hollands, both of whom probably had their best game in an Alex shirt (that I have seen anyway), and Davis was a rock at the back (he was my MOTM last week if I'm honest), and Daggers who ran tirelessly for the cause.

But our jewel in the crown is just beginning to look like he really is one - George Cooper! He had their defence on toast and, apart form his goal, was a constant menace. His step-over (or dummy) on their bi-line left their full back for dead, he made it look so slick and easy, the boy was oozing confidence today.

Looking forward to Cheltenham now!

Sounded like a decent performance, hope we keep it up. Thanks very much for that report Somerset.

Thank you Somerset. A very good report and pleased that it seemed to be a team performance.
    Now let's fill the ground - as much as we can - at Cheltenham. Revenge couldn't be sweeter.

Cheers Somerset

That Alex 11 only wins it seems.

Great away win, no doubts.

But...

Man LO were awful, I mean awful - what's happened there with them?!?! Still, only beat what is in front and very welcome win in 8 games......

Shows what a poor league this is, 1 win in 8 and we go 7th. If we get our act together and get 2 wins in every 3 we'll be promoted.

Great win, poor opposition, but a better Alex 11 and performance. Strange league.

Quote Originally Posted by Proggs View Post
    Man LO were awful, I mean awful - what's happened there with them?!?!

You're right, they were and I was wondering the very same. New ownership hasn't worked that's for sure.
    It wasn't that long ago they were battling toe-to-toe with Arsenal in the Cup and Barry Hearn rewarding them with a team-bonding trip (to Vegas I think?!).
    But were they poor because we made them look like that? - it does happen you know and they started decent enough.
    And we were as amazed as their fans when their 15 was taken off. Looked their best player.

Quote Originally Posted by Proggs View Post
    Shows what a poor league this is, 1 win in 8 and we go 7th.

Poor .............or just competitive?
    I expect we will find Plymouth or Carlisle are pretty decent, and there will be others.

An excellent match report from a fan who was there. I was listening to the game on the radio and you gave some information the they missed out on . Keep up the good reporting

100% agree. I was intending to go as I live in London, but a family crisis derailed my plans. Very grateful for the detailed report. I did see the goals on Sky - good goals for both Cooper and SD. After the last few results, great to read that we bossed a game. We have the players and I hope we can perform at this level more consistently.

I used to live near Orient's ground and would watch them occasionally. Sad to see them in the relegation places, but the sacking of so many managers so quickly has only served to destabilize the club. Incidentally, what has happened to Kevin Nolan? I thought a club would have signed him as a player - wish we had.