Quote Originally Posted by 54FairAndSquare View Post
I have been reluctant to post on this thread, the usual arguments are getting trotted out willy nilly, more heat than light form the usual suspects. So I’ll stick my 2p worth in

FIFA might have a semblance of a point here. If one political symbol is allowed, who knows where it might end. Some of the possibilities seem frightening, especially in parts of the world where there have been recent troubles. If FIFA were to implement this fairly and squarely (see what I did there?) they may be right to do this.

BUT

FIFA are probably the most corrupt legal organisation on planet earth and have absolutely no moral authority to do this. And banning political symbols in international football is a bit hypocritical when it is itself nothing but political

You see, the existence and status of borders of every country participating is to some extent political. The badges they were on their shirts, and the flags flying over the stadium, sanctioned by FIFA are to some extent political. They simply can’t hide from politics.

And if FIFA really do want to they would ban countries that don’t allow women into football stadia.

While being against political statements, they are more than comfortable with large multi national organisations displaying their symbols and logos. Let’s think for example

McDonalds – feeding unhealthy dangerous foodstuff to children, are allowed to provide children to accompany players onto the pitch wearing McDonalds branded kit

Coca Cola – manufacturer of sugary drinks making the world’s kids and adults obese

Adidas – exploiting sweatshop labour in the third world

Gazprom – polluting the planet

Personally I think FIFA are not one bit interested in keeping political statements out of football for altruistic reasons – they’re sh1t scared how sponsors might react

Oh, and almost forgot, the one big line that is the final line in any argument about any discussion about FIFA. Any organisations with such close links to Putin’s racist, homophobic cesspit and Qatar’s corrupt slave-driving hell hole cannot lecture anyone about anything.
Good post