+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: On The Mobile

On The Mobile

The day after a polish lorry driver was sent to prison for killing four people when distracted using his mobile a newspaper showed 15 photos of morons using their mobile phones while driving. I counted 2 car drivers 3 van drivers and a 44 ton lorry driver and a young lad speeding along in a tractor on their phones today when I drove 7 miles home. If I and everyone else can see them what are the police doing to catch these idiots? Increasing the fines won't stop them if they stand very little chance of being caught.

Quote Originally Posted by ramspride View Post
    The day after a polish lorry driver was sent to prison for killing four people when distracted using his mobile a newspaper showed 15 photos of morons using their mobile phones while driving. I counted 2 car drivers 3 van drivers and a 44 ton lorry driver and a young lad speeding along in a tractor on their phones today when I drove 7 miles home. If I and everyone else can see them what are the police doing to catch these idiots? Increasing the fines won't stop them if they stand very little chance of being caught.
    I think its beyond being possible to control bureaucratically, there needs to be technical solution

My wife's previous company had a policy which stated that mobiles were not allowed in the cabin of cars when on company business even for passengers, even if those passengers were not employees, under sanction of dismissal. No blutooth, no nothing. Big local company. I thought that showed a strong corporate lead, but that was five years ago and I'm not aware of anyone else being that tough.

Beats me why phones aren't programmed to go into flight mode when the GPS senses it's on the move, simple really

Quote Originally Posted by StensonRam View Post
    Beats me why phones aren't programmed to go into flight mode when the GPS senses it's on the move, simple really
    But a little harsh for train or bus passengers! That said I and I am sure many other public transport users would be more than happy not to have to listen to all those pointless calls in the "hello...its me...I'm on the train"mode.

The problem is really much deeper than just driving though - although that's the clearest example of antisocial "cultural phone dependency". I sometimes wonder how people over 40 survived in the 1980s without being able to be contacted or to contact others, unless venturing into a piss stained environment of a phone box. If there ever is a chance to go back in time and uninvent something, then I would pick the mobile phone to uninvent. Well mobiles and lager. Never more has there been a better example of the tail wagging the dog. Oh yes, mobiles, lager and Facebook - all should be uninvented. Bah humbug.

But to be serious for a moment, and back on topic, I agree there must be a simple technological solution that disables phones when driving, or if not it cannot be too complex to create using the phones own advanced technology against itself. The sad thing about all this is that its the people not the phones that are at the heart of the problem - so many people have lost all sense of societal responsibility. They simply dont care if their actions cause the death of others, so long as they can engage in probably not time critical conversation with a mate. I would guess 99% of mobile chatter is not time critical, or even if it is important at all based on most that I have overheard. Then you have the still worse brand of moron who texts while driving.

rant over - well not really its only just begun.

While agreeing with most of the above, is a properly used - i.e. 'hands free' - mobile actually any more distracting than having a screaming child - or angry partner - in the car? Bizarre that in the US one often sees signs reminding drivers that...'texting while driving is illegal' which kind of implies other mobile phone use while driving is okay. I know they virtually all drive automatics but I've also seen a sign in Massachusetts saying...'no texting while using the Rotary' (roundabout). Totally insane imo.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    But a little harsh for train or bus passengers! That said I and I am sure many other public transport users would be more than happy not to have to listen to all those pointless calls in the "hello...its me...I'm on the train"mode.

The problem is really much deeper than just driving though - although that's the clearest example of antisocial "cultural phone dependency". I sometimes wonder how people over 40 survived in the 1980s without being able to be contacted or to contact others, unless venturing into a piss stained environment of a phone box. If there ever is a chance to go back in time and uninvent something, then I would pick the mobile phone to uninvent. Well mobiles and lager. Never more has there been a better example of the tail wagging the dog. Oh yes, mobiles, lager and Facebook - all should be uninvented. Bah humbug.

But to be serious for a moment, and back on topic, I agree there must be a simple technological solution that disables phones when driving, or if not it cannot be too complex to create using the phones own advanced technology against itself. The sad thing about all this is that its the people not the phones that are at the heart of the problem - so many people have lost all sense of societal responsibility. They simply dont care if their actions cause the death of others, so long as they can engage in probably not time critical conversation with a mate. I would guess 99% of mobile chatter is not time critical, or even if it is important at all based on most that I have overheard. Then you have the still worse brand of moron who texts while driving.

rant over - well not really its only just begun.
    From the words "The sad thing" on you've put your finger on the problem. It is, as it always is as far as I can see, people! Anti social, irresponsible behaviour has become the norm for a huge proportion of society these days made up of those not willing to consider anyone's interests other than their own and totally incapable of thinking about the possible consequences of their actions. The biggest difficulty is that those we have elected to govern us over the past couple of generations seem to have had no idea how to remedy this social malaise as it has got progressively worse. You do have to wonder if, despite the efforts of many, we are heading towards a new age of barbarism - the only consolation for me is that I won't be around to see it.

Maybe Zager And Evans got it right

I very much doubt if man will still be alive in 2121 let alone 2525

I think you mean 2112

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)