+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Rumour ?

Astounded how Durrant could be written off as a no hoper. For one, he has never managed a senior side and so can't be judged on success/ failure. Was a very talented footballer who played under and must have picked up the good habits and techniques of Tommy Burns and Walter Smith. I am no lover of Rangers( if that's the angle people are looking at regarding Durrant) but can see the bigger picture .

Sadly, jardi, I think you are probably right; Scottish football will continue to do the same things over and over again despite the ultimate destination being failure. How did Einstein define insanity? Doing the same things over and over again but expecting different results. I have read that the national team is about to slip to 67th in FIFA's international rankings, behind what the Scottish press describe as "African no hopers" Benin. I don't know that I had even heard of Benin before I read that article. That would mean, of course, that under the management of Gordon Strachan the Scottish national team has slipped by 45 places from 22nd in 2014 with only three competitive wins in the past two years - and these against the pygmies of international football, namely Gibraltar (twice) and Malta - and yet he is thought to be the man to take forward Scottish football. I suggested that Durrant, McCoist and McDowell were the Three Stooges of Scottish Football. Perhaps I should revise that view to Regan, McCrae and Petrie.
    I have also read that Sky TV may be refocusing its priorities away from football towards Netflix and the like with agreements with the SFA and the SPFL possible casualties which further illustrates the low esteem in which Scottish football is held. If that were to happen Scottish football would move from gasping for into to its death throes.
    And despite its obvious failings the footballing establishment in Scotland remains resistant to change.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Astounded how Durrant could be written off as a no hoper. For one, he has never managed a senior side and so can't be judged on success/ failure. Was a very talented footballer who played under and must have picked up the good habits and techniques of Tommy Burns and Walter Smith. I am no lover of Rangers( if that's the angle people are looking at regarding Durrant) but can see the bigger picture .
    Ian Durrant was, indeed, a very fine footballer who never really recovered from that horrendous tackle by Neil Simpson. Very fine footballers rarely make very fine managers. He was very briefly caretaker manager at Rangers and was first team coach under Ally McCoist. He was demoted from this post by Rangers who then dispensed with his services. I would not regard this as a high recommendation for any managerial post.

Durrant has a 100% record, as he won the only game in caretaker charge at Ibrox.

Barry Robson seems to be the latest Barry out of three to be the bookies favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresswell View Post
    Ian Durrant was, indeed, a very fine footballer who never really recovered from that horrendous tackle by Neil Simpson. Very fine footballers rarely make very fine managers. He was very briefly caretaker manager at Rangers and was first team coach under Ally McCoist. He was demoted from this post by Rangers who then dispensed with his services. I would not regard this as a high recommendation for any managerial post.
    Regime changes usually always start with a clear out and that doesn't mean Durrant done a bad job. He played under Souness as well I remember. Anyway , you can't right him off for no good reason

Regime changes usually always start with a clear out and that doesn't mean Durrant done a bad job. He played under Souness as well I remember. Anyway , you can't right him off for no good reason
    JRS, nobody is disputing that Durrant was a very fine player until his injury but I am disputing that he was a very fine coach. He was an integral part of the trio Durrant, McCoist and McDowell. I accept that they took Rangers from the SPFL 2 to the SPFL Championship but with such an imbalance in resources between Rangers and all other clubs in the lower leagues it would have been nothing short of a scandal had they been unable to do so. Indeed, with the resources available compared to all these other clubs Mickey Mouse could have probably taken Rangers as far. However, they singularly failed to take Rangers into the Premiership losing out to Hearts for automatic promotion and to Motherwell in the play-offs. Furthermore they failed to win the Challenge Cup at three attempts. That Rangers dispensed with the services of all three and that Warbuton was able to win automatic promotion and the Challenge Cup both at his first attempt would seem to lend weight to my argument. Were I a club Chairman I would not seek to employ any one of those three.

Robson out to 6/1 from 5/2 this morning.
    Ferguson at 4/1.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresswell View Post
    JRS, nobody is disputing that Durrant was a very fine player until his injury but I am disputing that he was a very fine coach. He was an integral part of the trio Durrant, McCoist and McDowell. I accept that they took Rangers from the SPFL 2 to the SPFL Championship but with such an imbalance in resources between Rangers and all other clubs in the lower leagues it would have been nothing short of a scandal had they been unable to do so. Indeed, with the resources available compared to all these other clubs Mickey Mouse could have probably taken Rangers as far. However, they singularly failed to take Rangers into the Premiership losing out to Hearts for automatic promotion and to Motherwell in the play-offs. Furthermore they failed to win the Challenge Cup at three attempts. That Rangers dispensed with the services of all three and that Warbuton was able to win automatic promotion and the Challenge Cup both at his first attempt would seem to lend weight to my argument. Were I a club Chairman I would not seek to employ any one of those three.
    You know, I think you try too hard to justify your points when put under scrutiny. For a moment , think to yourself that you are saying Durrant would be a failure as a boss because Rangers failed to win the Challenge Cup or automatic promotion when he was in charge of the reserves ( 95 % of the time). Utter nonsense and almost like you are dragging up the rare defeats rangers had in the last 4 years to give your point credence.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 21-11-2016 at 09:53 PM.

I don't know if Durrant would or would not be a good manager but dismissing someone as a dud over trivial reasons like that is laughable.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)