+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Rumour ?

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Cresswell's arguments seem to be based on 'his' fact that NO team that has more resources, more support, more money and therefore better players should EVER , EVER be beaten by a smaller one. Thank god football isn't played like that or we would know the score before the match starts.
    JRS, you have accused me earlier of posting utter nonsense but this post takes the biscuit. Which are the four leading teams in the Premiership? In alphabetic order, Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts and Rangers? Which teams are leading the Championship? Dundee Unite and Hibs. Had I been asked at the start of the season to make a prediction that is exactly what I would have predicted. Why? Because they are the best supported teams in their respective leagues. To think otherwise is foolishness in the extreme. However, my having said that I would have expected these teams to be leading their respective leagues falls a long, long way short of suggesting that they will NOT EVER be beaten by a "smaller" club. Only an idiot would make a claim like that and I would like to think that I am not an idiot. I would not be surprised if Celtic went through the season without a defeat, such is their financial dominance of Scottish football, but I don't really expect that to happen - it might but probably won't. As you suggest football isn't like that. As supporters of Queen of the South we should know that. We have been on the wrong end of a few cup upsets over the years as well as creating some upsets of our own otherwise we wouldn't have reached the Scottish Cup Final some years ago. However, it is an inescapable fact that where football is concerned money talks and the more so in Scottish football -whether you like to accept it or not. Putting your head in the sand to hide from these facts won't make them go away. The true worth of a supporter is knowing and accepting a team's limitations but still turning out on a regular basis to support that team: not indulging in fantasy.

Incidentally, of course there is a Santa Claus. How do I know? Because he visits me every year.

cresswell makes a good point ,but where that point comes apart is getting fans through the gates ,if queens were to publicly announce thay were currently as high as thay can be in football you would see crowds of no more than 300 at palmy ,fans want clubs no matter how big or small to show ambition ,settling for mediocrity is utter folly and only the fickle few will be happy with that scenario ,fans simply will not pay the kind of sums required to go to palmy to witness mediocrity nowadays thats the biggest reason the home support doesnt turn up for even the big games anymore ,the crowds against hibs ,dundee utd this season suggests this ,with the prices to watch football these days your only going to see crowds like what we had in our big sfa cup run happen when queens are performing way way above our station .

Quote Originally Posted by Cresswell View Post
    JRS, you have accused me earlier of posting utter nonsense but this post takes the biscuit. Which are the four leading teams in the Premiership? In alphabetic order, Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts and Rangers? Which teams are leading the Championship? Dundee Unite and Hibs. Had I been asked at the start of the season to make a prediction that is exactly what I would have predicted. Why? Because they are the best supported teams in their respective leagues. To think otherwise is foolishness in the extreme. However, my having said that I would have expected these teams to be leading their respective leagues falls a long, long way short of suggesting that they will NOT EVER be beaten by a "smaller" club. Only an idiot would make a claim like that and I would like to think that I am not an idiot. I would not be surprised if Celtic went through the season without a defeat, such is their financial dominance of Scottish football, but I don't really expect that to happen - it might but probably won't. As you suggest football isn't like that. As supporters of Queen of the South we should know that. We have been on the wrong end of a few cup upsets over the years as well as creating some upsets of our own otherwise we wouldn't have reached the Scottish Cup Final some years ago. However, it is an inescapable fact that where football is concerned money talks and the more so in Scottish football -whether you like to accept it or not. Putting your head in the sand to hide from these facts won't make them go away. The true worth of a supporter is knowing and accepting a team's limitations but still turning out on a regular basis to support that team: not indulging in fantasy.

Incidentally, of course there is a Santa Claus. How do I know? Because he visits me every year.
    I am having visions of the Queens fans celebrating after beating Aberdeen and you sitting there ,shaking your head, wondering how bad their defence must be to concede four goals to us.

yep jr the new look of the queens fans after we upset the odds to win ,thats what would happen if everyone had the ambition of cresswell ,i agree to the point with cresswell that we are around the peak of our fanicial capabilities but to not show ambition to better that takes away fans dreams ,which could result in the death of queens . ambition is a good thing it puts bums on seats ,allows fans to dream of glory .
    Last edited by Francis_begbie_HFC; 22-11-2016 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    I am having visions of the Queens fans celebrating after beating Aberdeen and you sitting there ,shaking your head, wondering how bad their defence must be to concede four goals to us.
    JRS, that post is pathetic. It is not worthy of you nor a response from me.

Francis Begbie.....here, here, well said that man!

We are all desperately needing a wee bit of ambition and less of the doom and gloom.

We will never reach the levels of fantasy football, but we can still dream.......and let's hope we can start that dream in the Scottish Cup by beating Albion Rovers on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    yep jr the new look of the queens fans after we upset the odds to win ,thats what would happen if everyone had the ambition of cresswell ,i agree to the point with cresswell that we are around the peak of our fanicial capabilities but to not show ambition to better that takes away fans dreams ,which could result in the death of queens . ambition is a good thing it puts bums on seats ,allows fans to dream of glory .
    Francis, it was kind of you to do me the courtesy of addressing the substance of my post. To you and to others I shall give a response from First Corinthians, chapter 13. "When I was a child I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man I put away childish things".

And at your age it's time to stop indulging in childish and puerile tittle tattle.

Come on Cresswell, the guys do have a point, - let's stop bickering and get positive!

You would think with the club nearing ever closer to their centenary year there should be a lot more optimism about the club.

The new manager, who ever they should be, could be the manager in Queens centenary season.

Just on that, as Queens were founded in March 1919, will the centenary season be 2019-20?

Quote Originally Posted by Cresswell View Post
    JRS, that post is pathetic. It is not worthy of you nor a response from me.
    I think we are coming from different sides of the rainbow and will have to agree to disagree. I see football as a bit of escapism and you don't. You drum into us all here how bad things are and will never, ever get any better and I still have a little part of me that dreams we can be. Yes, we are playing badly at the moment but this is small beer to what's happening in the bigger picture. The chairman and Jim Thomson seem to be enemy number one with some people but I can see Hewittson has performed minor miracles in the building up our infrastructure. He might well not be a peoples person but is a doer who gets things done . This work is in place now and will serve Queens well for years and the money generated helps to offset the financial pressures of maintaining full time football on poor crowds. I just wish you could see some of the good in what we have or maybe it's none of my business ?
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 22-11-2016 at 06:21 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)