Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
Cresswell's arguments seem to be based on 'his' fact that NO team that has more resources, more support, more money and therefore better players should EVER , EVER be beaten by a smaller one. Thank god football isn't played like that or we would know the score before the match starts.
JRS, you have accused me earlier of posting utter nonsense but this post takes the biscuit. Which are the four leading teams in the Premiership? In alphabetic order, Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts and Rangers? Which teams are leading the Championship? Dundee Unite and Hibs. Had I been asked at the start of the season to make a prediction that is exactly what I would have predicted. Why? Because they are the best supported teams in their respective leagues. To think otherwise is foolishness in the extreme. However, my having said that I would have expected these teams to be leading their respective leagues falls a long, long way short of suggesting that they will NOT EVER be beaten by a "smaller" club. Only an idiot would make a claim like that and I would like to think that I am not an idiot. I would not be surprised if Celtic went through the season without a defeat, such is their financial dominance of Scottish football, but I don't really expect that to happen - it might but probably won't. As you suggest football isn't like that. As supporters of Queen of the South we should know that. We have been on the wrong end of a few cup upsets over the years as well as creating some upsets of our own otherwise we wouldn't have reached the Scottish Cup Final some years ago. However, it is an inescapable fact that where football is concerned money talks and the more so in Scottish football -whether you like to accept it or not. Putting your head in the sand to hide from these facts won't make them go away. The true worth of a supporter is knowing and accepting a team's limitations but still turning out on a regular basis to support that team: not indulging in fantasy.

Incidentally, of course there is a Santa Claus. How do I know? Because he visits me every year.