+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Qos v Dumbarton

Qos v Dumbarton

Well, where do you start with this ? Trying to be positive and two good reasons for that could be Carmichael and Hamill playing. Hamill at right back would allow Brownlie to go into centre back ( where he should be) , benching the awful Higgins.This guy has been off the boil now for a long time and this must be his last season with us. Has an unnerving ability to NEVER find a blue shirt with the ball at his feet. Carmichael getting into the team can't come quick enough but we have to be patient with him. He would replace the mediocre Anderson for me. Ando started off very well but faded quicker than a lump of snow on top of a wall in July. This will be Del's last season and I don't like the fact that the wonderful memories we have of Dobbie are in danger of getting forgotten about at the moment . I know we are not even half way through the season but I have had a good luck at the team now and would keep. Robinson , Brownlie, Hamill, Marshall , Carmichael, Dobbie , Brotherston , Dykes and Millar. Not sure about Dowie and would get shot of Higgins, Jacobs, Lyle, Anderson , Pickard and Rigg. Also Hilson and Tapping but this is because of injuries and not potential form as I rate both of them. A team of our size can't afford near permanently injured players on the bench . Moxon is only young but hasn't looked like he has much to offer when brought on.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 30-11-2016 at 10:52 PM.

Sorry , I have went off on a tangent there , just a tad pissed right off with everything.regarding Qos at the moment . Missing out on the Celtic tie I know is a crushing blow to the BOD. We really have to beat Dumbarton or get dragged into a bottom end scrap. I think we will win this game though but its more to do with the opposition being quite modest than anything else. I don't expect any more than a 1,000 attendance but people have to ask if they are helping matters by staying away. I'll be there as always and know most of you will be as well. Ps Just want to add that Hooper and Atkinson can feel very aggrieved not to be have given more chance to prove themselves. Especially Hooper when you watch Higgins play.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 30-11-2016 at 11:01 PM.

Just a point about Higgins: the defensive distribution as a whole is shocking mainly down to the midfield never making themselves available. They offer no cover and no creativity. How often do we see the centre halves being pulled out of position wide because Marshall and hamill get caught out picking up the pieces from the failings of the wingers or trying to create something..

Our game plan is simply lump the ball to Dobbie and see if he can work a miracle

Yes, I know what you mean Deek. To be honest , I have said many times that I rate Millar's ability highly but I know fine well he doesn't have a good enough work rate . My retaining him was a real close call. His career has never reached any real heights because of this laziness. I would try Dykes beside Millar as I think he could cause real problems running centrally from deep rather than out wide. Dykes has shown glimpses of what he can achieve and is doing OK ( not spectacular but ok) considering this is his first season at this level. I think he can get better.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 30-11-2016 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Yes, I know what you mean Deek. To be honest , I have said many times that I rate Millar's ability highly but I know fine well he doesn't have a good enough work rate . My retaining him was a real close call. His career has never reached any real heights because of this laziness. I would try Dykes beside Millar as I think he could cause real problems running centrally from deep rather than out wide. Dykes has shown glimpses of what he can achieve and is doing OK ( not spectacular but ok) considering this is his first season at this level. I think he can get better.
    JRS, let me give you my assessment of the squad based on the starting eleven on Tuesday night and how they performed against Albion Rovers.

Robinson: one of the few to be worth a pass mark.
    Brownlie: simply not good enough. Too easily beaten on the ground. Poor ball control and even worse distribution.
    Dowie: a yard too slow even against part-time Albion Rovers.
    Higgins: past his sell by date.
    Marshall: a reasonable Championship player. Enthusiastic and energetic.
    Anderson: past it; or did he ever have it?
    Millar: worked hard but can't do it on his own. With his talent could do better.
    Pickard: hasn't got it and probably will never have it.
    Dobbie: what can I say? Another poor performance. Rumour has it that he has crocked his knee and is awaiting surgery.
    Dykes: a headless chicken. I cannot fault his energy and and enthusiasm: it is his innate ability I doubt. Poor ball control and distribution. Too easily beaten when in possession.
    Lyle: like any old horse that has given good service it is time he was put out to pasture.

I agree with your assessments of Hilson and Tapping. Queens simply can't afford to be paying players who spend more time on the treatment table than playing. Hamill is OK but plays too far forward too often and is then too slow to recover (as was the case on Tuesday night). I thought Jacobs had been performing reasonably well and Brotherston has shown some promise but the rest like Moxon and Rigg could go tomorrow and wouldn't be missed. I assume that the only reason we keep these players and Atkinson is because they are on relatively low wages.

For those of you who think that Danny Carmichael is going to transform Queens I say, "Dream on". That is not to say he is not as good as, or even better, than what is there already so, on that basis, he may be a worthwhile addition to the squad but he certainly is not good enough to transform Queens. Danny flattered to deceive when he was last here. He was an entertaining player on the ball but there was not much end product from his energetic dashes down the wing. Remember that Hibs, another Championship team, took him, they looked at him and then they discarded him. Now ask yourselves, "Why?"

An honest assessment as always Cresswell. I am glad to hear that Millar worked hard the other night but he needs to do this far more often. Should really be dictating play at this level with his touch but doesn't nearly enough . We will have to disagree about Brownlie . I think the boy is far more comfortable at centre half but has played full back out of necessity ( injury to Hamill). I rate him at centre half . I also like Hilson and would say we miss him but he will probably be let go in May so it doesn't matter . On the Danny subject, he was almost permanently injured at Hibs and extremely unlucky . As you say , his final ball is not great but he likes to get by men and is a very hard worker when he doesn't have the ball. A good signing, all in all , for me .

Really need a win tomorrow, maybe our new manager will have someone in the stand to gauge the teams performance and that may give us a boost. Agree with most of your views on the players JR, also that both Higgins and Brownlie are so often pulled out of position by the poor work rate of midfield, Tapping and Hilson are a big miss for this team, the midfield has not been the same since Tapping's injury and the lack of Hilsons pace and forward running means Dykes is left to do the chasing for his older team mates.

Big game today against a team that is also struggling.
    After the disappointment of Tuesday we have to move on and pick up 3 points against a Dumbarton team which was very lucky not to lose to Bonnyrigg Rose last weekend.
    This might not be the most entertaining match but I somehow have a good feeling that we will win today.

Come on Queens!

Well, I didn't think our luck could get any worse than it did on Tuesday night. Then it did! Conclusive proof that we have acquired the losing habit. Cannot believe that Dumbarton will ever win an away fixture so easily. Great shot for first goal and well taken pen and that was it. Cannot recall Robinson making a save of note. Was the pen the softest I've ever seen given at Palmerston? .....possibly.
    As for us- headless and clueless for most of it. Dobbie is trying too hard. Sad to see him that out of touch. Millar was one of the better ones on Tuesday but today...... He does look to create and we don't seem to have anyone in the middle of the park to replace him if he goes off.
    Not looking forward to Tuesday evening.

I have said many times that I admire Millar's technique and skill. Now , I have changed my mind about retaining him . For all his ability, you couldn't hurry him if you told him his house was on fire and better get back quick asap. Little passes when we need him to have a pot at goal have me scream in frustration and a general leisurely style when we needed some energy . For me , bye , bye.
    As for the game , we seem to be having some dreadful luck in front of goal . When confidence is low, people snatch at shots and generally mess up at the business end of the pitch. This is exactly what's happening at he moment and the only way to remedy it is to win and get the confidence back . Easier said than done eh ? By the way , was delighted at Danny Carmichael playing a full game and playing well at that. He will improve us I have no doubt at all.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 03-12-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)