+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leeds United: The Wilderness Years 1975-1988 films

Quote Originally Posted by Tichi1 View Post
    Takes you back watching these ....

They could be dangerous times for home fans too Alf, Like you I was there!
    Loved the blood and guts football and the boggy pitches - all seemed so raw and tribal compared to the sanitised stuff served up these days.
    Football was football, not some sanitised fragranced "ballet" played by overpaid prima donnas. If only, but I have no time machine

Quote Originally Posted by Rev72 View Post
    A time when football was a real mans game watched by the working classes..not a prawn sarnie in sight.

Eeee...when I was a lad....
    Yeh it was great - only people from Beeston supporting the club. Nobody else. Definitely nobody from anywhere outside South Leeds. Perfect times. Especially all that losing.

Best moment for me was being on the top deck of a double decker having just arrived outside ER to find the bus next to us had been set on fire by 'proper' Leeds fans. Men women and children jumping out of the upstairs fire exit windows to escape the smoke and flames. Fantastic days them.

Bet there were a couple of people on here who were actually on that bus - they'll have all the stats on the number of injuries sustained, the type of seat fabric covering used on Leeds buses in 1977, the wage levels of the bus drivers, the number of matches used by those 'proper' fans to get the fire going, the numbers of people (only from Beeston) who regularly queued at the fish and chip shop, the times it all 'kicked off' at various places around the city after the game, the way the police used to chase us all over the pitch when we rioted.

Glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezleeds View Post
    Yeh it was great - only people from Beeston supporting the club. Nobody else. Definitely nobody from anywhere outside South Leeds. Perfect times. Especially all that losing.

Best moment for me was being on the top deck of a double decker having just arrived outside ER to find the bus next to us had been set on fire by 'proper' Leeds fans. Men women and children jumping out of the upstairs fire exit windows to escape the smoke and flames. Fantastic days them.

Bet there were a couple of people on here who were actually on that bus - they'll have all the stats on the number of injuries sustained, the type of seat fabric covering used on Leeds buses in 1977, the wage levels of the bus drivers, the number of matches used by those 'proper' fans to get the fire going, the numbers of people (only from Beeston) who regularly queued at the fish and chip shop, the times it all 'kicked off' at various places around the city after the game, the way the police used to chase us all over the pitch when we rioted.

Glory days.
    Jesus Christ Jez! The film are about days when Leeds were a club to be feared for sure and the fans weren't always angels, but Jesus, take a chill pill (and that coming from me!)

Different times and different era hard for those not born then to understand. Corporal punishment still allowed in schools, I think it took until 1987 for the law that said a husband could not rape his wife to be repealed, a ‘good night out’ was often too much to drink, a kebab, possibly getting lucky and if not a fight, spaghetti bolognese was seen as exotic, coriander was a mystery and exercise was running to catch up with the train as it left the platform as you could still open the doors .... Oh such Halcyon days ;-)

the wilderness years are from 2004 to the present day .

in them days , we still had great players and appeared in cup semi finals and europe on a regular basis. an absolute utopia compared to now .

they were only called the wilderness years, because it was after the revie era, after leeds dominated for so long . and saying paddy would have been the least of your worries, lol .

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Jesus Christ Jez! The film are about days when Leeds were a club to be feared for sure and the fans weren't always angels, but Jesus, take a chill pill (and that coming from me!)
    It's called the Wilderness Years for a reason - it was the post-Revie era, and my experience of that at Elland Road was just as i described - it was pretty bleak. Supporting the club at school became difficult partly due to the lack of success, but actually a lot of people didn't want to be associated with what used to go on, home and away.

I went a lot, but saw a lot, and i'm sure the videos have plenty to smile about and enjoy (if we enjoy all that losing) but i'd much prefer to remember the glory years and then the Wilkinson/O Leary era - both for the results and the experience.

I'm not particularly stressed out about it WTF, don't worry! Just putting it out there that that wouldn't be an era i remember with any fondness at ER.

By the way, on a much lighter note, does anyone remember the England V West Germany 1966 veterans game at ER? That was a weird one...why did it happen at Leeds, anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Different times and different era hard for those not born then to understand. Corporal punishment still allowed in schools, I think it took until 1987 for the law that said a husband could not rape his wife to be repealed, a ‘good night out’ was often too much to drink, a kebab, possibly getting lucky and if not a fight, spaghetti bolognese was seen as exotic, coriander was a mystery and exercise was running to catch up with the train as it left the platform as you could still open the doors .... Oh such Halcyon days ;-)
    Indeed. And calling people paddy, darky, jock and coloured were just seen as normal, and not prehistoric. Wonderful times.

Indeed. And calling people paddy, darky, jock and coloured were just seen as normal, and not prehistoric. Wonderful times.
    you forgot sambo , coon, and nigger , just to mention a few

just think how upset you would have been then jezmond lol ,if you had been in the kop in the seventies you would have been crapping yourself , you are very naive indeed

and to call the post revie era bleak in comparison to the last four**** years is totally laughable . we were still in the top flight till 81-82 , before we were relegated .

we have had four**** years out of the top flight since 2004, and dropped down to league one in 2010 , the seventies were paradise compared to the dross been served up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley past ghosts View Post
    you forgot sambo , coon, and nigger , just to mention a few

just think how upset you would have been then jezmond lol ,if you had been in the kop in the seventies you would have been crapping yourself , you are very naive indeed

and to call the post revie era bleak in comparison to the last four**** years is totally laughable . we were still in the top flight till 81-82 , before we were relegated .

we have had four**** years out of the top flight since 2004, and dropped down to league one in 2010 , the seventies were paradise compared to the dross been served up now.
    As i said, wonderful times. Naive lol. I just watched the games from the kop little Marley - i didn't and don't need to make myself feel big by pretending to be the hard man. Real men know why men like you behave and speak like you do. That's because we're educated, not living in the dark ages.

Puzzle it out, bite your lip and try really hard like you (used to) do with your 2x tables, and one day, maybe, you might work it all out.

As i said, wonderful times. Naive lol. I just watched the games from the kop little Marley - i didn't and don't need to make myself feel big by pretending to be the hard man. Real men know why men like you behave and speak like you do. That's because we're educated, not living in the dark ages.

Puzzle it out, bite your lip and try really hard like you (used to) do with your 2x tables, and one day, maybe, you might work it all out.
    its obvious you must have been knee high to a grasshopper , if you think anybody down at ellland road would bat an eyelid by calling somebody paddy , you must have been in the boys pen with earplugs in . lol

your not very educated regarding this club , if you think the post revie era was bleak in comparison to now, thats for sure . lol
    Last edited by Marley past ghosts; 16-03-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)