+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ivor broadis

Ivor broadis

One of the greatest players to don the Royal Blue Shirt of Queen of the South was 94 yesterday. Played and scored for Engerland in the 1954 World Cup finals in Switzerland

http://www.qosfc.com/legend-1035

Excellent article on the OS from Kirk McLean

Name:  IMG_7602.JPG
Views: 328
Size:  37.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    One of the greatest players to don the Royal Blue Shirt of Queen of the South was 94 yesterday. Played and scored for Engerland in the 1954 World Cup finals in Switzerland
    Ftivano you're knowledge of all things QOS knows no bounds, and should be admired, and the fact you drew a first time positive post about Queens from Arrol, gets a highly commended from me

Remarkable age to achieve. Broadis must have been 36 or 37 years old when he was at Queens in season 1959-60 and will also be of each of the oldest players to play for England to be still around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivor_Broadis

Queens was his last club and he hung his boots up on 29th April 1961 after a 2 - 1 victory at Palmy over Alloa. Became a journalist and as far as I know still stays in Carlisle.

Too young to of witnessed any of his playing career but by all accounts he was a fantastic football player

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    Queens was his last club and he hung his boots up on 29th April 1961 after a 2 - 1 victory at Palmy over Alloa. Became a journalist and as far as I know still stays in Carlisle.
    Good information, there. I wonder if he played when Hungary beat England in the Fifties?

Yes, he still lives in Carlisle. I interviewed him once for my biography of Roger Byrne, as they were England team mates. Really nice guy. Even gave me a couple of photos.

Quote Originally Posted by ALBERTZ_11 View Post
    Good information, there. I wonder if he played when Hungary beat England in the Fifties?
    I see that Broadis actually scored the solitary goal in the 7-1 defeat vs. Hungary.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)